Hi,

I've been using the Saitek yoke for over four years, and lately I've come across the rubber band modification seen here: http://www.sehlah.com/yoke.pdf.%C2'>

Before I open up my yoke and replace stock items, I have a few questions to ask to the people who have done this. 

When the rubber bands are fitted, does the yoke feel smooth and heavy- somewhat like a plastic 737 yoke?

Do the rubber bands ever snap?

And, if you pull the yoke as far back as it will go and release it, does it spring back to the neutral position or does it move slower and smoother?

Thanks very much in advance. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I would very much like to know everything you mentioned.  I just recently purchased it, I love it.  There are some not so smooth movements of it sometimes so I'm curious as to how much better it makes it.  

In real life, is the yoke supposed to spring back to neutral?

The yoke does return to the neutral position in real aircraft, but there's some resistance- somewhat like pushing a bicycle pump. I'm not expecting real yoke quality from a couple of rubber bands though; I just want a bit more realism added to it. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'm not using a Saitek Yoke, but a CH Eclipse Yoke, and carried out a similar modification to it that replaces the springs with rubber bands.

I found it nice to start out with, but the feel was very different!

I like to fly with as little pressure on the controls as possible, but as high precision as I can possibly get. Because of the reluctance of the yoke to return to center in the X-Axis (Ailerons), I was constantly fighting to find that "happy center" where my aileron inputs were centered. As for pitch control, I found it very difficult to set elevator trim with such a sloppy center.

I ultimately ended up taking the original springs to my local hardware store and found some that were similar in size, but lighter in tension, and replaced the rubber bands with those.

Your mileage may vary, obviously, since they are different manufacturers, but I believe the centering mechanism is largely the same between the Saitek and CH yokes.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I didn't do the rubberband method, but the spring method. Its been over a year and its held up pretty good. Certainly better than it was from the factory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_HFeFRleU

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I have the CH yoke (so, really don't belong in this thread, I guess).  But, here's what I think about yokes...to me (with a RW pilot's license), the way the yoke feels is the last thing on my mind.  I'm thinking about attitude, trim, etc.  To me, whatever a yoke feels like, it feels like.  I never thought about it in the real world either.  The only thing that matters (unless the feeling is bizarre) is that it returns back to a reasonable center and has a pretty effective amount of control based on the yoke movement.  Now, if it broke I think these mods would be worth a try.  But, if it's working like it is, I wouldn't touch it.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've had the Saitek yoke for a couple years, and I've always hated the heavy springs, which give the impression of  detents. Recently I opened the yoke, and took the spring for the ailerons completely out. I took one of the two springs for the elevator out The one spring for the elevator gives it a natural feel for returning the A/C to streamlined position. To provide some resistance to compensate for the loss of feel, I beveled and positioned a large piece of the black foam (that aircraft parts come shipped in) at the FWD end of the shaft travel where none of the servos are located. The ailerons now have a more natural roll feel, and the elevator has less centering force. While there are some heavier A/C that have HYD centering, most of the lighter A/C I've worked on have nothing to CTR the controls except airspeed. In flight, the stabs tends to assist the elevator and rudder to return to streamline position. As does the wing, when the A/C is in a bank (turning) the aileron streamlines until you roll out of the turn. At least that has been my experience. I watched the you tube video. Too much trouble. Before this I had the CH yoke, I actually liked it better.

Before this I had the CH yoke, I actually liked it better.

I wish I had access to a Saitek yoke so I could see what was going on there.  I do have the CH yoke...it's old, not perfect, but I've not had any reason to do anything to it.  Feels good, a spring makes a popping sound if I bank it hard over and then return to center, but I don't think I've ever noticed it when flying.  Would I like a better one?  Sure, but not as much as I'd like other things.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I used saitek yoke for years, pitch & roll by them selfs wasn't a problem but roll & pitch together was very rough/sticky. So I started of trying the rubber band mod then springs , maybe it improved it a bit but still wasn't happy. So then installed 2 linear bearings , which was a massive job but really thought it would solve the problem. It didn't , my opinion on this is the plastic arm for the roll, as you push/pull the pitch it slides though the roll mechanism & being plastic it basically doesn't run though smooth, if that makes sense.

This became worse when trying to fly with one hand on yoke & other on throttle etc .

Just my 2 cents, but pulled my hair out for weeks trying to fix that problem .

My answer was to just bite the bullet and ordered the pfc saab yoke.

With Hall effect , very expensive , hard to swallow the cost. Just Got to keep it hidden from the wife.

Hasn't arrived yet but all reviews are good.

I talked myself into it because I think it is really one of the main things that should feel good in the hand weather you fly big jets or ga.

Anyways can't wait to try it.

Cheers

Riche

Hasn't arrived yet but all reviews are good.

Well, I do hope you update us and let us know what you think after you get it.  Lots of useful buttons on it...was hoping that it had a HAT switch.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Well, I do hope you update us and let us know what you think after you get it. Lots of useful buttons on it...was hoping that it had a HAT switch.

Gregg

Yeah the hat switch. This yoke doesn't have it unfortunately , my thoughts were though if I miss it that much, is using the hat from saitek yoke & install it on the case (somewhere ) of the pfc one.

Could also give me loads more buttons for other things, could even build a tiler or pedals :-)

Almost a 100% GA flyer I have used CH yokes ever since I started; ten yrs plus!

One question often intrudes on my mind;........are there any "heavies" enthusiasts

who use "sticks"? OK, I  imagine the fly by wire types would to preserve the

realism factor. What about the others?

ANAMIV

Airliners have hydro mechanical detents for centring (with regard to trim position. EG the pitch trim moves the detent fore and aft, so the control column moves fore and aft with it, into the new centred position). I agree with Jetmek as an ex jetmec myself and have similar mods. (i will try the sponge thing tho) 

Well, I do hope you update us and let us know what you think after you get it.  Lots of useful buttons on it...was hoping that it had a HAT switch.

Gregg

Been using the new pfc yoke for bout a week now & it's excellent ,

It very strong & sturdy , but the feel of the yoke in the hand is great.

Motion is very smooth indeed with no play what so ever.

It was very hard to justifi the cost & also hide it from the wife, but I'm glad I got it, because now I can't blame the hardware for bad landings :-). But really flying with one hand on yoke other on throttle & it being smooth even in pitch & roll was what I was looking for & now have that. I did pay extra for the Hall effect sensors don't know if that made a diffrence for accuracy , but the yoke should give me years & years of hassle free flying.

Think they would sell more if they dropped the price though.

Cheers

Riche