Sign in to follow this  
cmbaviator

Step Climb

Hi all,

I have a question about the step climb procedure on the T7:

I know that you can planned a step climb at a waypoint by adding a S to the  altitude.

After doing this, will the A/C automatically initiate the climb to the step climb altitude at the selected waypoint, or do we have to update the FCU, sorry the MCP altitude tape and then press the the altitude knob ?

there is also an " optimal step climb " calculate by the FMS, in the VNAV menu page 4, but it only has 3 pages iin the VNAV menu in the PMDG T7, so i don't know if this is not simulated but i dought it, as I'm new to the b777 ( Airbus enthusiastic :) ), I think it's more my fault.

Thank you in advance.

Camille MOUCHEL

Step climb has to be initiated by the flight crew.  PMDG provide a Auto step climb function in the FMC options.

Not sure about the last question..  Both the real T7 and PMDG provide optimal step climb calculations by default.

You don't have to enter any step climbs manually.   Fill out the performance pages, route, cost index etc..  The box does the rest for you

Rob Prest

Step climb has to be initiated by the flight crew.  PMDG provide a Auto step climb function in the FMC options.

Not sure about the last question..  Both the real T7 and PMDG provide optimal step climb calculations by default.

You don't have to enter any step climbs manually.   Fill out the performance pages, route, cost index etc..  The box does the rest for you

ok thanks for the information.

that I was talking about these two step climb option.

439760b777stepclimbplanned.png

664134b777stepclimbauto.png

do you have to update the MCP altitude tape before the step climb for each option ?

do you have to update the MCP altitude tape before the step climb for each option ?

Not sure what you mean with "for each option"

You can plan your step climbs on the LEGS page of the FMC. Once you get close to the programmed step, you'll have to update the MCP Altitude window, otherwise the aircraft won't leave the current cruise altitude. Works the same as when reaching a "Top of Descend".

I think the FMC even displays a message if you get close to the step climb and don't update the MCP, "Update MCP Altitude" or something like that.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Not sure what you mean with "for each option"

You can plan your step climbs on the LEGS page of the FMC. Once you get close to the programmed step, you'll have to update the MCP Altitude window, otherwise the aircraft won't leave the current cruise altitude. Works the same as when reaching a "Top of Descend".

I think the FMC even displays a message if you get close to the step climb and don't update the MCP, "Update MCP Altitude" or something like that.

Ok thanks for the explanation

What you CAN do, though, is to dial the MCP up beforehand. For example if I wanted to leave my PC ("captains rest period"), what I could do is to take a look at where my stepclimbs are planned, where I will get to before I get back and then I would, for example, dial in 370 while still on 330 shortly after takeoff. Then in several hours I would be able to find my plane at FL370.

Hello Camille,

In addition to the previous comments that the real 777 does not initiate the step climb automatically, while the PMDG sim has a built-in option for that, in order for this function wo work correctly you will need to consider the following:

1. In the VNAV Cruise page, you need to specify a step climb size. You would need to type in "2000" into the LSK4 for the STEP, which in combination with the Auto Step Climb enabled will automatically take you to the next optimal altitude without having to set the altitude on the MCP.

2. If you are using a flight planner and would like to step climb at the planned schedule instead (as opposed to the FMC planned steps), then you would enter your steps on the LEGS page (FL350S) and also in the VNAV CRZ page enter the 2000 value for the STEP.

3. The Auto Step Climb won't trigger automatically if you set the "STEP" size to 0.

I haven't yet tried the behaviour with the STEP size zero and setting the MCP altitude to the next altitude without pressing the knob.

Hope that clears things up.

From what i gather, if you have set the FMC for auto climb, it still will not auto climb This is what i have learned.

EX:  Initial alt FL390

your flightplan advises final ALT as say, FL410

You check your flightplan in the FMC, go to the waypoint after 390 that says 410

Type in /410S

If you do this then you do not need to reset you ALT, it will do it automatically Oherwise you need to set manually just before the climb.

If you do this then you do not need to reset you ALT, it will do it automatically Oherwise you need to set manually just before the climb.

False. It will do it without the forced step. My guess is that you hadn't set something up properly when using the automatic step calculation feature.

If you have an issue with this, it might be best to open your own thread. No sense in dredging up a half-year old thread to offer (incorrect) guidance to someone who likely doesn't have the issue anymore.

Kyle Rodgers

Nope, i am flying at this moment and just watched the ALT change from FL390 to FL410 without any input from myself other than configuring the STEP (2000) in VNAV and auto climb initiated, my initial ALT  of 390 from PFPX was set in FMC when setting up the flightplan.

Froogle or Matt Davis forget which shows this very clearly in their tutorial.

what does the fcom say to do is  the best answer  you can get

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

what does the fcom say to do is the best answer you can get

Seeing that the auto step climb feature is akin to the auto accelerate feature...nothing.

Nope, i am flying at this moment and just watched the ALT change from FL390 to FL410 without any input from myself other than configuring the STEP (2000) in VNAV and auto climb initiated, my initial ALT of 390 from PFPX was set in FMC when setting up the flightplan.

Froogle or Matt Davis forget which shows this very clearly in their tutorial.

I think I misread what you were getting at, but you do not need to force the climb with 410S. If you saw a step in the legs page (by noticing it went from 390 to 410), it would've climbed without you adding 410S in there, too.

Remember that what you get from PFPX, while detailed an accurate, is just a plan. When you're flying the plane, go with the information that's more accurate to the situation, which comes from the FMC. PFPX might place a climb at a fix, but it might actually be better to climb between the fixes.

Kyle Rodgers

If you are flying online and wish to act correctly, you must not initiate any climbs or descents without instructions from ATC.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

If you are flying online and wish to act correctly, you must not initiate any climbs or descents without instructions from ATC.

Yeah - that's on my list of favorites when I control (linked back to the ever-present "but my FMC made me...").

One time, I had a pretty crazy night while on Center Combined (meaning I didn't have anyone helping me out and controlling IAD/DCA/BWI/RDU TRACONs). I make it a habit to keep my scan up and continuously monitor each aircraft to ensure they're in the right spot, and doing what they should be. That is to say, I verify that an aircraft is on route and at the assigned altitude (the latter is easy in the DSR Radar mode of our controller client: it displays the current alt next to the assigned alt and then merges the two when they match up). After I'd checked my aircraft at cruise (relatively low maintenance, in terms of instructions), I dove back down into providing vectors into DCA. As I was doing this, my conflict alert started going off. Turns out, someone climbed without being cleared just because the FMC said STEP NOW, and in the process, nearly trucked over a guy going into PHL.

"...but my FMC said..."

Which truly reminds me of "...but my dog ate my homework."  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

As usual, a very pithy, educational and entertaining riposte. :lol:

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx