Sign in to follow this  
m0nkz0r

Prepar3d ATC alternatives?

Thanks - good to know.

I'll probably try VoxATC, as it seems to be the only regularly updated ATC addon, and I'm tired of the default ATC's zig-zag instructions and total lack of awareness of SIDs/STARs.

I've used VOXATC for several years now and have found it to be the one addon I wouldn't do without.  It has a new feature called "Expert Mode" that is handy for actual communications training.  In "regular" mode" VOX puts words on the screen which you speak back to the ATC "controller."  The readback must be exactly what the on-screen prompt says or you get a "say again" response from ATC.  In expert mode VOXATC doesn't give you the on-screen prompts to read back. You have to write  down the ATC instructions on paper, then give a readback that is correct.  If not correct, you get a "say again" from ATC.  Very handy learning tool if you want to reinforce training for your license, go into VATSIM or IVAO in FSX, or try Pilot Edge, which is as close to real as you can get.  

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

The readback must be exactly what the on-screen prompt says or you get a "say again" response from ATC

Really? Last time I tried the demo I could cough without uttering a single word and after the second cough would inform me the readback was correct or something similar.

Has it changed then in the last 12 months or so?

Both pilot edge and Vox. I like pilot edge for its complex south california space, tower en route experience and the added unpredictable factor in how flight can unfold. I'm relatively new to Vox but quite pleased with the product up to now.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

VOX traffic is so bad. Want to fly with 20 747s flying around you? Get VOX ATC.

I'm not familiar with this one. 

Would it be a good choice for someone like me who mostly flies small GA?

How is it better than the default ATC (in regards to use with small GA)?

Do you have a link to any review of v.2.15 or to the software?

Thanks!

If you want to see PFE in action go here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94xXG5EC6d0

This the Super VC10 in FS9. You'll hear PFE kick in after the pre-flight checks.

Thanks for sharing that video, PFE looks intriguing, but the VC10 isn't a small GA aircraft, so it didn't answer most of my above questions.

I have installed some Orbx scenery, and some of it actually enhances the default ATC a bit, but it adds more AI chatter ... all of which is great, but it doesn't actually change the core ATC at all (or not much).

My biggest issue with the ATC is that when I'm flying a small GA and have filed an IFR flight plan that includes a mountainous area, the ATC often instructs me to fly higher than my aircraft is capable of. For instance, A2A's C172 has a ceiling of about 14,000 feet, yet I might be instructed to climb to 17,000 feet (over and over again, since my aircraft cannot reach that elevation).

I have yet to find any addon ATC that factors in my aircraft's maximum ceiling.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I highly recommend PilotEdge.  http://www.pilotedge.net

It's a paid service with live controllers using real world procedures and frequencies.  They offer a free trial period.

I've been a subscriber to their service for about 2 years now, and can't say enough good things about it!

Gavin

I will second this.  It took me a bit to get it working on P3D but Keith posted new instructions and once I did that I was able to use it.  I like the practice element and as it translates to real flying so if that's what you're looking for then check out their free trial. If you want to fly over the world instead of in a particular airspace then it wouldn't be the best option for you.

PilotEdge now has native support for P3D in the installer.

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360