Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

P3D first flight in the Bonanza 36....

Mitch you have me thinking now but not sure of the unknown - if I buy academic version can you upgrade for 199$ version and apply the original investment ? - wish I was looking over your shoulder because I have just about had it with fsx - what mesh are you using with vector - I have all the fsgenesis and not going to buy vector unless it works together - maybe bugging you on this buddy - sounding very interesting.

I'm running mesh at the highest setting, as well as the other two.

Vector works..but to really appreciate it Rich, you have to give it  room to breathe...and that's at the stop, full out. You then get the eye candy you just paid over $60.00 for.

Mitch, you crack me up Bud! Maybe you need another cup of coffee LOL Keep going and please get some sleep.

Get the ORBX installed and see what you got.

Bob

Bob, I got FSXG, Vector, PNW North Rockies, Central Rockies, Pacific Fjords...most of them and still downloading. What I found out...was that with custom scenery installs...you can lose as much as 33 percent of the FPS, that you had while still in the fresh install, Vanilla State. That being said though....I still have fluidity...and great immersion features that even DX10 in FSX, can't offer. No deal breaker for me....and if I ever get another system...it can scale with me.  All in all, having fun...

Hi Ses',

As a possible convert, do I detect a drop in enthusiasm after installing all our Orbx products? After all a drop of 33 FPS sounds quite severe to me!

Cheers,

Hi Ses',

As a possible convert, do I detect a drop in enthusiasm after installing all our Orbx products? After all a drop of 33 FPS sounds quite severe to me!

Cheers,

Well, yes and no, lol.

When in the 'Vanilla Extract' mode...my system was hammering P3D.  I never thought that I'd see a 10-12 FPS drop on average.  Having seen that, I can't truly endorse for every user, to 'come on over', and not publish what went on (after starting to load in custom software) with my system spec's in play.  I also state that I can get a somewhat smooth experience even down to 18 FPS, but of course that is not what one would want to see happen. Yes...if I trim down the sliders to almost giving no real virtual reality...yes...I can get the FPS's back to the 30 range. That is not acceptable for my needs, when I can have full virtual reality, and every ounce of graphic output, in using FSX in DX10 mode, a 'la Steve's Fixer Upper Super Duper...(smile).

I really like the newer features of P3D, so I CAN suggest that one could have both...and use each sim for its strengths and feature sets, just as I would say to use XPX.  My final thought tonight, as i wind down installing the last of the ORBX triple install regions...is that P3D, with current state-of-the-art hardware...is not a total replacement on one's hard drive to kiss FSX, good-bye. It is a different route to one's flight sim'ing .  For that reason, FSX will NOT be saying good-bye off of my hard drive, or in time allocated for the hobby. ORBX candy is drop-dead gorgeous in DX10...and I shall use both probably on an equal time basis...  P3D has excellent forward looking features, but in my opinion, is NOT a full-out replacement to retire FSX.  They can very easily have a place on the hard drive, right nearby XPX, lol.  I have all three, and will enjoy all three.  Good night to all...and to all, a good night.....,  

After Post thought:  "For the low cost of $59.95, I highly recommend that one picks up this simulator.  Install it...and keep it virgin. Crank up every slider, and you'll see that the stock, generic terrain and auto-gen is absolutely first rate..and just below FSXG itself.  If I were to lose my install of P3D...I would not go past the fresh install state...and then just run the bejesus out of the sim...at 50 FPS!   No dog there...and to see the Raptor boot up, almost vertical at 50 FPS...is totally worth the money invested!!!!!   I just spent more for Vector, than what I paid for the ENTIRE sim.....so that speaks plenty."   

I'm running mesh at the highest setting, as well as the other two.

Vector works..but to really appreciate it Rich, you have to give it  room to breathe...and that's at the stop, full out. You then get the eye candy you just paid over $60.00 for.

Bob, I got FSXG, Vector, PNW North Rockies, Central Rockies, Pacific Fjords...most of them and still downloading. What I found out...was that with custom scenery installs...you can lose as much as 33 percent of the FPS, that you had while still in the fresh install, Vanilla State. That being said though....I still have fluidity...and great immersion features that even DX10 in FSX, can't offer. No deal breaker for me....and if I ever get another system...it can scale with me.  All in all, having fun...

I was waiting for you to install the ORBX stuff to see your comments. I lost fluidity with PNW and I could not regain that fluidity even by dropping object densities to almost nothing. I only was using shadow casting for the VC at a medium setting, and shutting off shadows made no difference. Tessellation was set at Ultra, but moving it to high also made zero difference in the fluidity. I tried everything but those little stutters are just so annoying I could not deal with it. 

Bob

FPS and smoothness do not correlate at all in P3D. I have departed KSEA in the Majestic Q400 using Orbx PNW, REX Clouds, and Vancouver CYVR, in overcast rainy conditions, using 40% WoAI traffic, and the flight was smooth as silk (performance-wise). When I checked my FPS, it was in the teens, yet I had zero stutters. So, don't watch your FPS when using P3D. It will drive you nuts.

P3D also requires a solid GPU. You don't need top of the line but 4+ GB memory is key in my opinion. I upgraded from a GTX 660 2 GB card to a GTX 770 4GB card and the difference was night and day. Also, back off the sliders. You'll be surprised how nice your sim will look with medium settings. I run with my sliders one notch below max. And be careful about using HD clouds. I use 1024 x 1024 clouds, which look just fine.

Todd

They're worthless....

You need to buy in...and start flying on your own system. The atmospherics can't be captured, nor the incredible smoothness. Richard, there are no more micro-stutters.....they are gone.

I have to disagree. I still see micro stutters. Worse then fsx.

Matt Wilson

Mitch you have me thinking now but not sure of the unknown - if I buy academic version can you upgrade for 199$ version and apply the original investment ? -

Why on earth would you even consider doing that? There is no benefit to be gained, aside from removing the nearly invisible text 'watermark' on the upper right corner... :blink:  :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have to disagree. I still see micro stutters. Worse then fsx.

You are not alone. I have them too. 

Bob

Bob

Everything below 22-24 fps makes it stutter on my system as well.

And for the record: ORBX is a FPS killer in P3DV2 and need to be optimized by the ORBX team.

But try UK2000 EGLL. Great performance as well in P3DV2.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

ame="N1G" post="2986312" timestamp="1399731552"]

Bob

Everything below 22-24 fps makes it stutter on my system as well.

And for the record: ORBX is a FPS killer in P3DV2 and need to be optimized by the ORBX team.

But try UK2000 EGLL. Great performance as well in P3DV2.

Michael

Michael, when you say optimized, what could they do or have they stated that this is the case. Just curious.

Bob

Nope. Hopefully it will be better either via LM or ORBX.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Mitch you were right - wow - thanks so much

Rich Sennett

sometimes I wonder if Mitch is related to Jcomm :lol:

1st     Xplane10

Then FSX

Then FS9

AND NOW P3Dv2 :rolleyes:  :lol:  :P

Mitch made a post just like this about Xplane as well.....

sometimes I wonder if Mitch is related to Jcomm :lol:

1st     Xplane10

Then FSX

Then FS9

AND NOW P3Dv2 :rolleyes:  :lol:  :P

The rapid creation of threads about his feelings on Prepar3D reminds me more of J van E though.  :P