Sign in to follow this  
hmmc97

DP Partly Working

Hi there,

Firstly thank you very much for this excellent product.

I'm trying to successfully connect to a friend who is also using DP. However whenever we connect (I'm the server/capt), I can only see his actions, and he can't see mine.

Just wondering if there is any potential problems on our end that relate to our issues. I've successfully connected and completed a flight with someone else so I believe the issue is not on my end.

Any ideas? We've both run the compatibilty tester with positive results. I suspect something is blocking a connection but interested to hear other thoughts.

Cheers.

If everything works with someone else while your hosting, the issue is on your friends side. Now the dp tester only checks the fsx, simconnect versions and not PMDG's aircraft version. Has your friend checked if they have SP1c and has added the following to their 737NGX_Options.ini ?

[SDK]
EnableDataBroadcast=1

I'm guessing they have added it - had to ask just in case. So it comes down to inbound firewall rules on the client side.

Ask your friend if their firewall has inbound exceptions for the client. This guide will solve the issue. Firewall Guide

Michael Harders

Hi Michael,

I've tried this with 2 more people, one of which is the person that it originally worked with. This time, the same symptoms occurred with him. I can see what he's doing but he can't see what I'm doing. 

I've double checked that the entry is in my options file. I also tried looking at that Firewall Guide however I get an error 403 forbidden.

To my knowledge nothing has changed but I'll complete whatever is required in order for this to work! At least it worked that other time :)

Thanks again.

The guide should be accessible now. 

Michael Harders

Thanks Michael,
I've got it working, however it was unrelated to the windows firewall. I figured it had to be something that has been altered somewhere along the line for it to originally work. 

I went onto my ISP (Internode's) control panel and found there to be a firewall turned on. This was due to an upgrade in my internet plan which enabled the feature.

Hope this helps someone else in the same boat.

Cheers.

No probs - It had to come down to a firewall.  B)

Michael Harders

Unfortunately I had this issue again tonight. Me and my F/O were trying to do a flight (different person to last time), and the same symptoms occurred. 

We tried everything, checked firewalls, opened ports, however a ping to him returned no response.

One thing I did notice was when I was running the server, it did not register my actions on the console (eg Fuel Pumps On/Off), which it does on a successful connection. The only thing it had was Landing Gear Down, and nothing else. If we changed roles (him as the server), his actions were logged on the console and I received them. However he can never get my 'inbound' commands.

Any ideas?

Can both of you please remove any inbound Desk Pilot firewall entries and recreate them. Has version 1.4.2 been installed in the past?

Michael Harders

I used to have 1.4.2 but uninstalled it and installed 1.4.3. Not sure about my F/O. Does it cause interference? 

Maybe - That's why i said to remove & recreate the inbound rules. The F/O will have to do it as well.

Michael Harders

Hey! I have the same problems. Actually RIPJAW... when we were trying it together... it worked. But when I have tried to fly with someone else... It was not working again. This looks like a global problem. And since we have all firewalls disabled and all ports including fsx ones forwarded... I as a Captain still can see only FO Actions.

Jan Podlipsky

Would disabling the windows firewall determine the problem? Also if it doesn't get through, will my actions show on the console? If it is a successful connection they list in the console, but it doesn't list when it does connect. 

After attempting many tests to replicate this issue. we have came up with the following list that does exactly as you guys described.

1: PMDG's 737-NGX Service Pack 1c has not been installed. Although i believe their current installer comes pre-loaded with SP1.

2: SP1c is installed, EnableDataBroadcast=1 has not been added to the 737NGX_Options.ini

3: The [sharedCockpit] section of the ClientSettings.ini or ServerSettings.ini files have been modified.

Mainly the CaptainControlOverheadLeftHalf, FirstOfficerControlOverheadLeftHalf, CaptainControlOverheadRightHalf and FirstOfficerControlOverheadRightHalf values. Its best not to change them in the current version.

The original server settings:

[SharedCockpit]
CaptainControlAltitude = false
CaptainControlAutoThrottle = true
CaptainControlAutoPilot = false
CaptainControlLeftFD = true
CaptainControlRightFD = false
CaptainControlHeading = false
CaptainControlIAS = true
CaptainControlLeftCourse = true
CaptainControlRightCourse = false
CaptainControlOverheadLeftHalf = true
CaptainControlOverheadRightHalf = false 

The original client settings:

[SharedCockpit]
FirstOfficerControlAltitude = true
FirstOfficerControlAutoThrottle = false
FirstOfficerControlAutoPilot = true
FirstOfficerControlLeftFD = false
FirstOfficerControlRightFD = true
FirstOfficerControlHeading = true
FirstOfficerControlIAS = false
FirstOfficerControlLeftCourse = false
FirstOfficerControlRightCourse = true
FirstOfficerControlOverheadLeftHalf = false
FirstOfficerControlOverheadRightHalf = true

Let me know if any of the above fixes your friends issue.

Michael Harders

Still not working. I asked my 2 sim partners to connect and it worked straight off the bat. I've tried everything and I'm still having issues.

It's almost like it's not connecting to the sim. Once it says: "Shared Cockpit Enabled!" after a few seconds it just says Gear lever [DOWN].

Any ideas? All firewalls that I know of are disabled.

Exactly! Same problem here. Maybe... I could give you a little offer. We could meet. My friend and I, and you will be overseeing us. Maybe we could figure out what's wrong. If you are interested :-)

Jan Podlipsky