Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The final good news, mixed with some bad....

Hi Mitch,

my recommendation is to change your HDDs to SSDs!

Spirit

Thanks Spirit...will certainly look into that at the next storage increase...and thanks!

question for you. i remember you were an xplaner and seen your glowing reviews about prepar3d 2.X

how do you feel as a person who went to another platform. compared to xplane what things do you miss if any.

thanks

Saed45...I really have no miss or hits with  any of them, but the following: I have a pretty powerful system (I think!), and am having problems with FPS in P3D.  I had defragged, and for about an hour or so, I had near 27-30 FPS, but soon thereafter, I have had some very, very poor performance from P3D...to as low and jerky as 8 FPS!!!  I have changed nothing, but have noted that (I missed this...) there is in nVidia Inspector, a profile setting for P3D...and will check that when I have the time.  I have no explanation for such poor performance from P3D, loaded with all my Orbx stuff, and including my new purchase of Vector.  When at my first installation and Vanilla...I came on here...with a WOW and gangbuster...for it was.  I was keeping at or above 30 FPS with all sliders hot.  I then started in, loading my ORBX...and the FPS went 'South' pretty permanently.  Not happy about this.

As a result of my good--->fair...>poor FPS and system performance with P3d v2.2, I am certainly not going to post another thing on the subject, until I see that I have PERMANENTLY (not flip-flopping one minute to the next, is seems!) found a solution to bring up a modicum of FSX-esque performance, or will put it to the side until something in a later version, corrects whatever it is...

I feel rather foolish now, banging out the praise, before adding what my FSX has inside its wrapper...and realize now (I apologize to all...) that my endorsement, was very premature, and was a result of seeing the new features, enjoying them immensely, but I realize that for my system, it pretty much has to be, as it comes installed, and nothing more added into the sim.  I am experiencing today HORRIBLE FPS performance.  Let's talk in the 8-12 range....with massive chunk and stutter...and this on an over-clocked GTX680 2 GB card, that plows through XPX and FSX (ultra ORBX loaded up).

So...I'm going to go silent...sit in the bush...and try as hard as I can to primp and promp P3D, to make it flyable and enjoyable with ORBX,   It is, what it is...but I am not certainly going to go out and spend another $700.00 on a new G card, just to pick up a few more visual effects that FSX doesn't have....no way!  I tried it...loved what I saw...but am bummed out that it (for myself at least) must be at the fresh-install, Vanilla Level.  Is P3D a great flight sim. YOU BET...YESSIR...but simply can't run on my i7-975 Extreme oc (4.1 GHz) with an EVGA SuperClock Signature GTX 680 2 GB and 12 GB memory RAM---system.  It simply...doesn't fly.... FSX (loaded to the 9's) with every program and plane purchased...flies like a dream, so I not totally out of the race.  

I tried it...(will not ask for a refund...and will work with it...as I did FSX) and hope that v2.3 and so on...brings up the FPS performance, with add ons such as from ORBX.

For now, my main sims will be XPX (looking forward to XPX.30) and FSX.

If others are having/had better experience...than all the power and luck to them.  I'm most happy for them..and indeed!

Mitch

This is good news...though, it's surprising it was solved by a defrag.  My investment in Orbx was one of the reasons I've sat on the sidelines.  Slowly but surely, the issues continue to be resolved.

Gregg...I was premature...and I admit with the Vanilla First Install...it was a fabulous experience. I did not anticipate that adding in complex scenery that runs fine under FSX's engine..would bring P3D to its knees on my same system. So...I ask everybody to please dismiss any and all comments I have posted over the last two days...and simply judge P3D for your own merits, as you see it playing out on your own system.  I guess, this is the only way for it to truly play out.  Each system, and what the User is willing to dumb down the features to, to make it run...is a personal angle.

If I can't have P3D giving me the features upon the screen that it has the built-in capability for, and also, with premium add on scenery packages, ...then it has no use for my flight simulation endevours.  I have to fly what can put it out onto the screen.

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I don't think it matters because you are adding the application (fsx.exe or preapr3d.exe) to the FSX or P3D profile which are applied when you start either sim.  I don't think you have to go through the trouble of setting NI up each time you switch back and forth.

You are quite right!  I did not see the nVidia Inspector PROFILE for P3D, but for this morning. I will try to work with it as I had done to fabulous results for FSX and FS9.  Wish me luck...for I think that I shall need it...:( 

I had thought that I could not use N.I. for P3D.  Glad to see that I can...and start to try figuring out why my FPS performance is frankly....in the toilet, with anything other than a pure and clean installation.

Gregg...I was premature...and I admit with the Vanilla First Install...it was a fabulous experience. I did not anticipate that adding in complex scenery that runs fine under FSX's engine..would bring P3D to its knees on my same system.

Not a worry.  It might help if you'd put your PC specs and sim details in your profile.  I think it's good to see your struggles and thought processes as you work through this and think it will iron out.  People will have suggestions and more evidence will come.  Best of luck!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Guys,

Quite a few of you are reporting problems with n-vidia cards and N inspector etc, how are you guys getting on with ATI AMD cards, how does P3D v2.2 run with these cards in comparison?

Cheers,

" I am experiencing today HORRIBLE FPS performance.  Let's talk in the 8-12 range....with massive chunk and stutter."

Same here Mitch its not usable but will keep it to see if it improves - I hope it does - I cant imagine how bad it will get with more addons which shows me how amazing fsx is to do what it does - I had nothing but rex4 - ftx global and a toilet base plane and when you add any clouds it tanks - no ai whatsoever so guess the wait is on brother - but I did enjoy your excitement - thought you were on to something. 

Oh running a Titan and that didnt help at all.

Nice you were man enough to admit there is a problem.

Rich Sennett

" I am experiencing today HORRIBLE FPS performance.  Let's talk in the 8-12 range....with massive chunk and stutter."

Same here Mitch its not usable but will keep it to see if it improves - I hope it does -......

How does it come? In another thread you're praising the AM=15 so much for having a smooth sim now.

Spirit

FTX Global has quite a large amount of data if I am not mistaken.  A defrag is required when adding large amounts of data.  Remember, not all defrag programs are the same, I've had best results with O&O defrag.  And do stay away from the default windows defragger.

\Robert Hamlich/

Well reading thru threads a day later I noticed this tweak and said what the heck I'll try it and it worked couldn't believe it so I passed it on to help someone else, also stay away from NI in P3D in 2.2

Rich Sennett

.......also stay away from NI in P3D in 2.2

I use NI all the time and have no problems at all. Why do you think so?

Spirit

Same here Mitch its not usable but will keep it to see if it improves - I hope it does - I cant imagine how bad it will get with more addons which shows me how amazing fsx is to do what it does - I had nothing but rex4 - ftx global and a toilet base plane and when you add any clouds it tanks - no ai whatsoever so guess the wait is on brother - but I did enjoy your excitement - thought you were on to something. 

Oh running a Titan and that didnt help at all.

Nice you were man enough to admit there is a problem.

Rich, you are running a Titan, and YOU are experiencing lousy frame rates?  Ok...now THAT is depressing to read.....wow.

I am thinking of just uninstalling P3D, doing a quick format of the hard drive that only P3D is aboard...and then re-install another 'Vanilla'.  I think I might only add Vector, so as to have roadways and better shorelines.  I hope that by only installing Vector, does my installation again, not go for an FPS dump.  If so...then I will do one more format and then another 'clean install', and just leave it at that. Orbx products, weather products, and texture products, will be only for FSX, and P3D....well, P3D will be for whatever comes with it.  Das all folks....

Rich, you are running a Titan, and YOU are experiencing lousy frame rates?  Ok...now THAT is depressing to read.....wow.

I am thinking of just uninstalling P3D, doing a quick format of the hard drive that only P3D is aboard...and then re-install another 'Vanilla'.  I think I might only add Vector, so as to have roadways and better shorelines.  I hope that by only installing Vector, does my installation again, not go for an FPS dump.  If so...then I will do one more format and then another 'clean install', and just leave it at that. Orbx will be for FSX and P3D will be for whatever comes with it.  Das all folks....

FTX Global has quite a large amount of data if I am not mistaken.  A defrag is required when adding large amounts of data.  Remember, not all defrag programs are the same, I've had best results with O&O defrag.  And do stay away from the default windows defragger.

O and O was the 'frag that I used three times in succession. All were Complete in nature. I honestly don't believe at this time, that it did anything for my FPS...as after an hour or so, and with P3D accessing the driver over that hour...things once more steadily went into the FPS dumper in a big way....I started going as low as 8-12 with chunk and stutter so bad...it made my teeth chatter!

Well reading thru threads a day later I noticed this tweak and said what the heck I'll try it and it worked couldn't believe it so I passed it on to help someone else, also stay away from NI in P3D in 2.2

What tweak was that, Rich?

Mitch

Well, after a few hours of flying and tweaking this...tuning that....adjusting this...I actually got P3D to put out great graphics...and at 27-30 FPS!

I'm not touching anything!

So, if you don't give up...you CAN get FPS out of it.  You just have to keep working all the combinations of settings, until you have what you can live with...and enjoy. But the bottom line..is with ORBX stuffed to the gills, ASN, REX4 Direct, you CAN archive 27 to 30 (my locked setting max) and start enjoying this sim.

Back to the flight, out of KFNT....and oh....VECTOR looks fantastic in this sim. I recommend it. Highways look incredible...and much better than what they do under UTX in FSX.  I know...for I have both products now. I might even bring Vector over to FSX...but, I'll see about that...

Post Edit:  Just to let you know where I am getting 27-30 sustained FPS, with every Scenery Slider set to full right, is over ORBX Global, in Michigan, near Flint and heading up to the U.P.  Again...Vector does miracles for the stock sim.  It was expensive..but I feel it adds $$$ to the look of P3D.

Post Edit 2:  Final thought as I head out towards the U.P...is that P3D truly eclipses FSX in the look and 'feel' of flight.  The sky and general atmospherics is drop dead gorgeous, and that's a fact. LM worked magic on that aspect.  You really do feel you are flying 'through' something...and it works, folks...it works. Everybody was/is right. The sim is beautiful to view...and to use.  You just have to tweak the heck out of it, as per your system specs...but can you?  Yes...you can!  I went from 8 FPS this morning, to a now sustained 27 to 30.  It's doable.......so stick in there Rich...tweak, poke, pull, push..and you will get it working too!

Mitch

I'm waiting for the next "damn, my fps have tanked again" message..... :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Mitch,

Can you post the tweaks that you did that got you to this point?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'm waiting for the next "damn, my fps have tanked again" message..... :wink:

It's not happening....very stable...it took a few hours...but I got it! :)  You won't be seeing one....

Mitch,

Can you post the tweaks that you did that got you to this point?

Gregg

Gregg...some are pursuant to my rig...for instance I ported over from my FSX.cfg the Affinity Mask for driving in HyperThread...do you have HyperThreading on?

Post Edit: Ok Gregg,,,here is my P3D.cfg file...which will show you how I have the sim set up now..and it is GORGEOUS!

I then also slaved the P3D.exe to my FSX nVidia Inspector Profile..and that did wonders!

So..try that yourself...set up your sim by the .cfg as I have...and slave your P3D to your FSX...and give it a go. it might put a large smile on your face!.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=84
[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=4
SSAA=0
VSYNC=0
FXAA=0
TRIPLE_BUFFER=0
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
InfoWeaponSystemEnable=True
InfoCountermeasureEnable=True
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=False
FullScreenExclusive=True
FullScreenAutoFill=True
FullScreen=True
[sCENERY]
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1
AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2
AUTOGEN_TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE=9500.000000
AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter, Submersible, ExternalSim
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Submersible
SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\Weapons
SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\Countermeasures
SimObjectPaths.9=MyTraffic\Aircraft
Location=0,0,1920,1200,\\.\DISPLAY1
LocationFullScreen=0,0,1920,1200,\\.\DISPLAY1
Maximized=1
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
QUICKTIPS=1
[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=1.000000
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=6
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS=0
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=5
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
VolumetricFog=1
[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4
[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4
[slewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[slewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=0
[GRAPHICS]
MIPMAP_VC_PANELS=1
TESSELLATION=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=4
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
LENSFLARE=1
HDR=1
BLOOM_LEVEL=2
SHADOW_QUALITY=2
TERRAIN_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=1
CLOUD_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=1
OBJECT_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=2
CONTENT_NO_SHADOW=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_CAST=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_CAST=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_CAST=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_CAST=0
CLOUD_SHADOWS_CAST=1
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=4
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=5
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=7
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=12
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=0.850000
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
EFFECTS_DISTANCE=2
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0.0]
Mode=1920x1200x32
[uSERINTERFACE]
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\Prepar3D
SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW=0
RestoreTimeOnMove=0
Map_Orientation=2
MUTE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=176
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0
[sOUND]
PrimaryPlaybackDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
VoicePlaybackDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
VoiceCaptureDevice={DEF00003-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=0
UISound=1
SOUND_FADER1=0.300000
SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
SOUND_FADER4=0.500000
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=40
GADensity=40
FreewayDensity=20
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=100
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
[AContain]
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
TESSELLATION_FACTOR=90
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=5
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=2
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_REFLECT_CLOUDS=1
WATER_REFLECT_USERAIRCRAFT=1
WATER_REFLECT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFLECT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
WATER_REFRACT_CLOUDS=0
WATER_REFRACT_USERAIRCRAFT=0
WATER_REFRACT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFRACT_TERRAIN=0

With respect, banging the sliders over to the right is not the best way to tweak any sim!  :O

Start at default levels and move them up one at a time.

I have found a nice sweet spot with autogen building and veg one notch off max, but then I only have FTX Global + airports as I mostly fly the tubes.

Some advice - use affinity mask to activate all your cores, and leave Nvidia Inspector well alone. Use max AA in-game, but keep FXAA off (blurry gauges).

P3D runs pretty good and definately more stable, except of occasional .dll crashes that I can attribute to addons. But comparing DX10 and P3D on my system flying out of KSEA, DX10 is much more fluid and flyable at this point. Don't know what to say, or do at this point except hope that JV at Orbx is correct about v2.3.  

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor