Sign in to follow this  
IUBrian

OOM with FSdreamteam KDFW - is it me

Recently purchased KDFW, and have had severe OOM issues just trying to get off the ground, and was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. I'm not asking about the typical "adjust your sliders," etc., suggestions - I'm aware of them, but I also have a number of other highly detailed add-on airports, and this is the only one where I've had this issue, (and I have tried some adjustments with no success), so I'm trying to identify first if anyone else has experienced issues specific to this airport. I'm not disparaging the developer - I know it's a huge airport, and my searches so far haven't led me to any complaints beyond what would be expected with every add-on.

Specifically I'm using the NGX, FS2Crew, REX, MyTraffic Pro, AES, GEX, and UTX - I know I have a lot going on, but my problem has been specific to that airport, so before I start chasing rabbits I'm trying to see if this airport has been particularly troublesome for others.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

That airport has always used a lot of resources.  I even remember having issues with it in FS2K2 and never updated.  But back in those days, systems were not as powerful as today.  I would think that if others were having issues with this airport, there would be a lot of complaints here and in other forums, especially FSX.  I'll see if I can download the demo and see if I have issues with this one too.

Apologize for going a little off topic but just wanted to pass on a friendly reminder that we have changed our signature policy again and we are kindly asking everyone to please put their system specs and flight sim information in their respective "My Profile". More details can be found at the following link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436632-new-signature-rules  or under the Forums tab above. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Hi Brian,

I installed it and found nothing wrong with the airport.  I was getting between 30 and 50 plus fps.  I also use MSE V2 Texas.  I do not tweak my FSX except that I have my LOD_Radius set to 6.5 and Texture_Max_Load set to 2048.   I used the RealAir Duke B60 for my tests.  I found everything was very smooth.  Hopefully others can provide their experiences too.  I own P3DV2 and think I'll get this scenery for P3D.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Item # 1 - Here is an excellent document written by Ryan Maziarz of PMDG about how to reduce VAS and eliminate OOM's:
http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors

However, here are a couple of other techniques that ultimately solved my particular VAS/OOM issue in addition to suggestions of Ryan Maziarz and others, plus reducing auto-gen. There are other tools, documents and techniques mentioned on the AVSIM forums and in AVSIM documentation like the CTD Guide.

Item #2 - I reduced the following variable in FSX.CFG to:

LOD_RADIUS=3.500000

Note: Because I'm pretty busy at takeoff and landing, the visible, if any at all, change in scenery was certainly acceptable to me, and of course I'm usually flying 28,000 feet or higher during cruise.

Item #3 - I ran across the suggestions below on an AVSIM thread (contributed by AVSIM member tf51D) which I implemented to further help reduce VAS usage and OOM’s. This technique has pretty much eliminated the FSUIP4 beeping I used to get when I was nearing VAS limits, or prior to incurring an OOM.

I implemented the below process which basically prevents the loading of the following DLL’s during the FSX startup phase when I fly the PMDG 737 NGX on my system (your system may no doubt be different than mine):

1. Captain Sim 707 Sound DLL (needed only when I fly the 707)
2. RAASPRO DLL – built in and only used by the PMDG 777 on my system
3. A2A Service DLL (for A2A aircraft, possibly some other stuff)

I also modified all of my Orbx Scenery Object Flow DLL statements  in the XML file (I have a total of 14 Orbx airports and each airport has one of these types of DLL’s).

By the way, the DLL.XML file is located where the fsx.cfg file is (use the edit feature built into Windows 7 to modify XML file):

C:\Users\your unique name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

Most of my OOM memory issues happen when I fly the PMDG 737 NGX. These CTD/OOM issues usually occur at the end of the flight on final approach when nearing the Virtual Address Space (VAS) limits.

I solved it by setting many of my DLL's in the XML file to Manual load. By doing this, I only load, or not load, the DLL's for the addons I'm using for the flight. For example, there's no need to load Captain Sim DLL's, Feelthere DLL's, or Orbix Object Flow DLL's, for example, if I'm flying the NGX, but not flying into specific Orbix add-on airports. This is especially important, since VAS has to be contiguous. Clearing VAS contributors up front prior to loading FSX, makes larger amounts of VAS available at the later stages of flight.

This is why the great many OOM errors happen on approach, or just after landing, especially at addon airports, as the arrival airport has to load the detailed 3D objects of the airport/ground AI, etc. Even though it may appear there may be enough VAS to handle it, it may not have a large enough contiguous space to fit what is needed, causing the OOM.

Since modifying the DLL.XML file entries, I can now pretty much fly the NGX to any airport I own, without problems, and haven't had a OOM since, plus my FSX.EXE shuts down properly without crashing.

To implement this technique, add the following line to each optional section of the DLL.XML file, unless it is already there. (These are usually the airplane/scenery/sound addon dll's). Orbx items appear to already include this <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> command line, but I had to change the state from False to True to make manual load work.

<ManualLoad>True</ManualLoad>

Note: Leave the XML entries for the dll's you want to use on every flight alone, for example, utilities, llike FSUIPC, FSX SDK's, etc.

When you start FSX, it will then ask you if you want to load each dll, only say YES to the ones you will be using for this particular flight, and NO to those not needed. Every time you shutdown and restart FSX,  you will be asked to respond to this same list of questions.

Here is a portion of my DLL.XML file on my system to give you the general idea (Just be careful when you edit, it is easy to make a mistake):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KRDD.dll</Name>
<Path>E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KRDD\scenery\ObjectFlow_KRDD.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KWYS.dll</Name>
<Path>E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KWYS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_KWYS.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Addon Manager</Name>
<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KSFF.dll</Name>
<Path>E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KSFF\Scenery\ObjectFlow_KSFF.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

//////////////////-------- Break---------///////////////////////////////

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>A2A Service</Name>
<Path>A2A\Shared\A2A_Service.dll</Path>
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I apologize for not thanking everyone for the fast replies.

I made have found a culprit - somewhere I came across a post about an airport installation (I'm not completely sure if it was this one) making a "usepools" modification. I looked through my .cfg file and found a usepools entry, 5000000, or something similar. I'm a 0 bufferpools guy, so I'm not sure how it got there, but I deleted it, and since then no problems.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD