Sign in to follow this  
AA343

Flight Simulator 'Ho To'

Hi guys, I need some help. For weeks I've been trying to figure out how to make an airport in FSX. My question is this: How do you make a(n) airport(s) in flight simulator x?

This should get you started. FSDeveloper.com is a rich source of information for scenery/airport design.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

ok, thanks.

oh, I see what you mean posting my question 2 times. I thought this one didn't work.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MSFS Scenery Design Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I've used Flight1's Instant Object Studio as well as their Instant Scnery tools...pretty happy, though it's not professional grade.  I think, perhaps, with some shadowed textures and a whole lot of practice and learning, it could be, though.  Two things that are difficult, to me:

• Preventing flicker when two objects are close or overlap.  I think that's a real skill.
  • Working with reflections and transparency.  It's various different variables that you tweak and tune and then you have to have the right *kind* of texture to get a reflection.  It takes a lot of patience to dig through tons of half-answered questions to find the right formuia that works.  It's a shame that there isn't more on this.  Instant Object Studio handles it pretty well...once you get it figured out.

One other thing that IOS is weak on is creating groves of trees...takes hours and hours and hours.  It would be an absolutely amazing tool if they would make that work well.  (e.g. select various trees, assign percentages and create a polygon for them to sit in.)

The support from Flight1 was excellent.

BTW, I don't have either of the airport designer tools from Flight 1 but they both seem pretty good.  One works better with IOS and is newer, I think.

Here's a thread where I used IOS and IS to create objects around an airport.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396162-instant-studio-20/

I'll upload some pictures of the terminal in a couple of hours.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Here are some images of the terminal I created with IOS (picture of the RW terminal at the bottom).  It's completely custom.  The problem I had was with flickering...because of the transparent glass and the close proximity of objects I think.  The insides of the terminal is real with doors, tables, desks, chairs, etc.  I haven't worked on it in a very long time.  Anyway, I think IOS is very capable of creating these things.  It does require experience and help to be able to do the more intricate stuff.

6DaadZ9.jpgVkQh1HA.png

v5zGM6E.jpg

Here's a picture of the actual RW terminal for comparison...

5879487.jpg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

One thing I'm curious about is if FS Design Studio is a better tool in some ways than IOS.  We have such a huge need for mixed use airports that we need something very practical for folks to use along with good stock objects...cars, trucks, boats, (better) trees, grass,(better) pre-made textures for airports.

Gregg Seipp