Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Summertime! FirePit Grill. Would you Buy?

Awkward for anyone to use!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree, its a great idea, but it looks too big and awkward.  Might better suited for one of those grill your own steak restaurants.  We just bought a propane fire pit for our patio...it works great and it doesn't smell up the house.     

If I want to entertain folks by allowing them to 'cook their own food' I'll choose a fondue pot any day over such a monstrosity as that grill.

From fondue bourguignonne to Swiss fondue...  Oh Lord, now I've made myself hungry! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

If I want to entertain folks by allowing them to 'cook their own food' I'll choose a fondue pot any day over such a monstrosity as that grill.

From fondue bourguignonne to Swiss fondue...  Oh Lord, now I've made myself hungry! :LMAO:

I do fondue, but you haven't stretched your gastronomic legs until you do raclette grilling at your dinner table surrounded by good friends and wine. I was introduced to this years ago by a German friend. He and his wife invited me to join them at a small dinner at their place in Koblenz. I was thoroughly impressed.

raclette-grill1.jpg

Especially after the deck caught fire, that then burned your house down, and the embers from it destroyed the homes of your two closest neighbors. Gotta love it! :Applause:

My favorite grilling incident happened when I lived in a 50-story apartment building near Lincoln Center in Manhattan.  All the apartments had small balconies, and a neighbor down on 23 decided to ignore the building's prohibition on grilling.  No damage, and I thought the smell was quite nice, but there was another resident who didn't agree.  The FDNY high-rise response is very large and involves a lot of vehicles and firefighters.  And the building-wide evacuation gave us all an opportunity to meet each other.  A good time was had by everyone.  Well, nearly everyone...

With your chair in the position shown in the first pic, I think barbecued gonads would be on the menu.

I am the "grill master" in my house over the summer and I can tell you that NO one else should have to sit next to a hot grill :Shame On You:   Between the heat and smoke that is a great idea that would be ruined by practical application  :Whew:

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Paul, I have to agree on that assessment! Such a grill as illustrated in this thread would probably be bearable and perhaps even comfortable in the late Fall months when it is relatively cool...

Fr. Bill    

I do fondue, but you haven't stretched your gastronomic legs until you do raclette grilling at your dinner table surrounded by good friends and wine. I was introduced to this years ago by a German friend. He and his wife invited me to join them at a small dinner at their place in Koblenz. I was thoroughly impressed.

Weird. Never heard of our seen anything like that before. Looked up some vids on YouTube and from the types of foods used, it definitely looks like a European thing. I barely survived my introduction to English teas, scones, clotted cream and cucumber sandwiches!

We wont even discuss spotted dick!   :blink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We wont even discuss spotted dick!   :blink:

How about some nice, tender Rocky Mountain Oysters?

Also known as prairie oysters, Montana tendergroins, cowboy caviar, swinging beef, and calf fries... :LMAO: 

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/RockyMtnOyster.htm

With regards to "Spotted Dick," curiously enough and for the record, the word "dick" is derived from the German words "dicht" or "dick", which means "thick". It is highly probable that the ubiquitous Xmas fruit cake was derived from Spotted Dick or, possibly, a Germanic fruit cake antecedent. It is only the immature and prurient viewer/listener who titters at such, as I'm sure you just did at the word "titter". ;)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spotted-Dick-103210

Fr. Bill    

I see "lawsuit" written all over this for many potential reasons.

Stan

It is only the immature and prurient viewer/listener who titters at such, as I'm sure you just did at the word "titter". ;)

Guilty as charged. Especially as the kids, under the protection that it's the name of a legitimate product, still to this day contrive to use it in interesting ways in sentences.

I see "lawsuit" written all over this for many potential reasons.

I expected more of an even spread, actually, but I see the response is overwhelmingly negative. It just goes to show that you never know. I'm sure the inventor thought it was an excellent idea and I was interested as well, but judging from the reaction here, I wonder how many the poor guy is actually selling.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hmmmm....... I'm thinking of propane now, but wonder if I will miss that "real" charcoal taste.

I saw something like this on "king of the hill" once. There's arguments for both sides. The whole subject wouldn't have even come up if the summer wasn't approaching at the same time as the old (charcoal) grill has reached a state of advanced rusty decrepitude. :(

Devons rig

Hmmmm....... I'm thinking of propane now, but wonder if I will miss that "real" charcoal taste.

Propane for convenience or for when you're in a hurry.  Charcoal for when you really want to enjoy the process and get the best flavors (but please - no lighter fluid).

There's nothing quite like a classic Weber grill for when you're in the mood to do it "old school".

Scott

I have a 5 burner Ducane with side burners/rotisserie and I never get any complaints about taste ;)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg