Sign in to follow this  
NAVRAD

Steering when landing

Hello all

Not sure if this is FS or aircraft specific, but upon touch down and reaching say 60kts, does a real 737 veer to the left and require correction by use of the rudder?

I have this each landing. All my controls are extremely well calibrated and their status is displayed on the EICAS screen.

How much rudder/steering input is usually required after landing in a real 737

Running W7, FSX, Prosim and the Jetstream 737-800 model

Thanks all.

Regards.

Alan

No aircraft should be veering left or right on roll out.   rudder is only effective at high speed (type specific)  At low speed you use the tiller to steer the aircraft through the nose wheel. 

If the aircraft is veering left & right then it sounds like you have performed an autoland and not disconnected the A/P on roll out.

I should add that the real aircraft (& PMDG/IFLY)  roll out to a complete stop correctly with A/P  engaged after an autoland.  Highly likely the addon you are using doesn't 

Regards

Rob Prest

Hi Rob

I'm using the Jetstream 737-800 model specifically tailored for use with Prosim and FSX and handles extremely well in every sense.

I never perform auto-lands, always disconnecting the A/P after G/S capture and localiser established-sometimes flying manually for longer distances.

This model aircraft is super smooth to fly even with relatively high settings including the weather.

I usually apply reverse thrust  down to 60kts and use the tiller below 40kts. It is just before this that the veer to the left occurs.

Thanks.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Well then something is wrong with the addon or your rudder setup.  What you are experiencing is not normal behavior on the real aircraft.

Just out of curiosity, if you never do autolands how do you fly CATIIIA/B  approaches?

Regards 

Rob Prest

One thing I have noticed is if you discontinue using GSX during pushback and your wheel is not straight the plane will veer to whatever side the plane was being turned to. Yes you can keep the wheel straight but if you stop applying rudder pressure the plane will veer to one side. 

Hi Rob

Here's my situation. I've learnt everything I know about flying by trial and error and although I've been simming for a number of years and take it

seriously I still haven't studied the CATIII B/C approaches you mention.

I know or think it's to do with conditions at an airport-excuse my ignorance- but I just like to manually fly. Not long distance for obvious reasons, but now you've mentioned it I'll have a read. It may well answer some other unanswered issues!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards

Alan

I believe I tracked the issue to the pot for the steering tiller. Well not the pot exactly as it is brand new. The steering tiller handle is heavier than the device it is
connected to (home made) and when released I'm sure this is moving the pot by the very small corresponding 'veer left' movement when landing.

Off to hone my engineering skills now and put it right.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions.

Regards.

Alan