Sign in to follow this  
77west

Massive crosswind enroute!

Flying BAW45 EGLL-FACT, this was taken over France. I know it is probably not a record, but still, pretty intense. This with Active Sky Next on live realtime mode.

2014-5-11_9-59-39-961_zps0663c2d6.jpg

Yea, that's jetstream active over France right now. Do you feel turbulence with ASN, there should be CAT beside jetstream?

Crossing the Pacific once (Tokyo to San Fransisco) I saw a 200kt tailwind :D

Quite a bit of turbulence entering it, though it was ok once in it.

I have had winds like that up to 130 with OpusFSX and CAT now and then. Opus have had CAT now for a while.

Per W Sweden

g_precentralis, on 11 May 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Yea, that's jetstream active over France right now. Do you feel turbulence with ASN, there should be CAT beside jetstream?

There was a fair bit of low to medium chop, I am now over Africa and run into a line of thunderstorms which are really throwing us about. Even some hail! Would avoid them, but hey no weather radar yet.... grrr. Climbed to 350 early to try to get above it but no luck. Passing waypoint EREBO seems to be calming down a bit. 

EDIT: Engine Anti Ice is on and we have more hail. I NEED WXR!!!!!!!

g_precentralis, on 11 May 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

Interesting weather for Eur-Africa for 0000z. OCNL CBs with tops up to 460.

16k2xp5.jpg

I am currently battling thru that line around  middle of the bulge of Africa over Sahara. Where did you get that map from?

g_precentralis, on 11 May 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

From Abu Dhabi met. office.

http://www.avmet.ae/swcharts.aspx

Data is by wafc London, but I like how they format sig. wx. charts.

Cheers, bookmarked!! 

I have pulled up ASN XGauge to kinda help a bit but all I see is storms everywhere, no avoiding them really. Zooming out to 75nm it looks like the end of the front is about 50-60nm away, sorry passengers but there is a few more minutes of this yet. EAI still on, more hail\freezing rain, speed fluctuating between .81 and .85

EDIT: Crossing out of it:2014-5-11_11-21-33-843_zpsa3981e9e.jpg

I do not like that gauge, waiting for integrated wx radar by pmdg. I use ASN external map: I set map to follow aircraft and then turn on precipitation > echo tops. That would give you an idea where CBs are. 

If you look at chart you will see that in area you will fly through, CBs are isolated, and/or well separated so you should be able to avoid them.

g_precentralis, on 11 May 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I do not like that gauge, waiting for integrated wx radar by pmdg. I use ASN external map: I set map to follow aircraft and then turn on precipitation > echo tops. That would give you an idea where CBs are. 

If you look at chart you will see that in area you will fly through, CBs are isolated, and/or well separated so you should be able to avoid them.

I also don't like it much, I need to set up ASN networked on laptop so can view on there as I never go to windowed mode on main fsx session. Use laptop for PFPX, Aivlasoft  etc. Perhaps later today I will try. At least it was accurate in that after crossing out of the front it all settled down. 

Just looking at ASN map, maybe they overdone it a little bit, too many CBs for reported 25-50% of designated area at chart.

Just looking at ASN map, maybe they overdone it a little bit, too many CBs for reported 25-50% of designated area at chart.

To be fair I think the main CB's are the pink areas, this is almost like looking at WXR with gain turned up to high. If I was actually on the flight I don't think I would have been to worried, I would say turbulence was medium but acceptable. Certainly would not want to be walking around, but not to the point of screaming either! Luckily my flight path happened to avoid the worst pink areas by chance. 

I'm looking at echo tops. All that blue, yellow and red are CBs with tops up to 60k feet. They are separated, but you cannot go around with 30nm clearance.

11r3yhs.jpg