Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

New FSX User - Atlanta scenery question

Hi guys.  After many, many years of FS9,  I decided to upgrade to FSX once I purchased a new PC.   have installed it plus acceleration and am in process of configuring the sim.   Have followed the many tweaks found on line, shader changes, etc.   Well on my way.

However, once I got to finally start tooling around my local area (atlanta), I was very disappointed for a few reasons.  These are probably all known issues here I am sure.

1. Georgia Techs football stadium, Grant Field, which is right downtown Atlanta is totally missing.  This was in FS9 and all other previous versions?  What happened there?

2. Turner Field is still in the original 1996 olympic configuration and has a track and football/soccer configuration still.  Even FS9 had that right.  it hasnt been like that for 20 years.    

3. The trees are mostly wrong for the region. Too many xmas tree type conifers.  

4. Numerous issues with the routing of the Chattahoochee river through town.   

can anyone direct me on replacement scenery for Atlanta and other US regions?   Not just airports but local / regional scenery that is FSX compliant?

Also if I can find some replacement trees that work better than these native ones.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

You can get photo scenery of Atlanta however I dunno if that comes with any included buildings as usually photo scenery does not. Make sure you have scenery complexity set to extremely dense. If it's lower that might be why a stadium is missing just a guess. 

No, I increased the autogen to maximum as my PC can handle it and no go.  Besides, some stuff like Turner Field being in 1996 Olympic mode is just a screw up.  I wonder if P3D has this same issue out of curiousity?  This isnt a killer issue, but if P3D is more correct with the scenery, might be time to go there before I get too invested in FSX.

Look into FTX Global and FTX Vector (and upcoming OpenLC) from Orbx. They're not cheap, but will drastically overhaul FSX worldwide. I know that FTX Global has custom autogen trees, but I'm not sure if it corrects the type of tree...maybe OpenLC will do that. And Global Vector may correct the Atlanta river for you...particularly the 1.2 version when its out, as it's going to use a much better data source for North America.

Michael Faia

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

I now own both FTZ Global Base and Global Vector.  While it improves much,  Atlanta really needs new specific scenery.  Much in FSX is just wrong, or outdated..  Whats irritating is that much of this was just fine in FS9.   It seems the FSX team went backwards.  Anyway,  Would be nice to have some key VFR icons fixed.

Think about it this way... what if the Empire State building was in New Jersey and the statue of Liberty didnt exist in the NYC scenery and Central Park had buildings on it?