Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Nvidia inspector?

I recently installed it and followed one of the guides I found to set it up but my question is what does it actually do and how is it improving FSX? I am not using the FPS limiter with it but I have noticed a considerable drop in FPS but at the same time I am getting much smoother performance. So for example in a situation where my sim before using it was getting 60+ FPS it's now only getting say 30 FPS but that fluctuates from between say 28-31 FPS however like I said it is much smoother. Also it seems to kinda dull the colors of stuff. Like the game just doesn't look as sharp after installing it. Is that also normal? 

Make sure you use the guides to set it up properly. I use it and without the proper settings FSX looks terrible.

Make sure you use the guides to set it up properly. I use it and without the proper settings FSX looks terrible.

I used the settings from a tweaking guide so I followed what was suggested I am just curious what the thing is actually doing to the sim. I mean the sim looked fine it's just I am wondering what the program actually does. 

I'm no expert, but;

It has many tweaking options other than just Antialiasing

If you get the DX10Fixer, there are many suggestions

on helpful changes

- AA, Anisotropic Filtering, VSync, etc

My knowledge and understanding of this is limited but some of this may possibly be helpful to you. If it is too basic or simplistic I certainly apologize and if I make any errors hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in to add corrections.

...I am just curious what the thing is actually doing to the sim. I mean the sim looked fine it's just I am wondering what the program actually does. 

From my understanding, Inspector is not altering your simulator per se. It is a utility that applies your chosen settings to the graphics card whenever the selected program is running; in this case FSX. It has some settings and options that Nvidia Control Panel does not have available and it is generally more efficient at applying these settings.

... Also it seems to kinda dull the colors of stuff. Like the game just doesn't look as sharp after installing it. Is that also normal? 

I think when you first installed and ran Nvidia Inspector, it reset the Nvidia Control Panel settings. This probably also reset your Display Color Settings which will need to be set. Before proceeding though, I would suggest that for best results this may be an excellent opportunity to recalibrate your monitor. There are a number of methods and utilities for accomplishing this but for this purpose I have found the windows utility quite adequate.

To do this right click on the Desktop and select "Screen Resolution". Go to the "Advanced Settings" tab and select "Color Management" and again the "Advanced" tab and select "Calibrate Display". From there simply follow the instructions.

After you have calibrated your monitor you can now open FSX and open Nvidia Control Panel to make your final adjustments. To do this, once again right click on the desktop and this time select "Nvidia Control Panel". In the Control Panel you only want to make adjustments in the "Display/Adjust Desktop Color Settings" section.  Under "2. Choose How Color is Set", bullet in "Use Nvidia Settings". From here you can adjust Brightness, Contrast and Gamma settings for each Color Channel as well as adjusting Digital Vibrance and Hue.

I hope this helps. It has really made a big difference in the appearance of my simulator.

If you need additional help or clarification it may be helpful if you would verify whether you are using FSX in DX9 or DX10 mode, and include whatever Nvidia Inspector settings you are using as well as any changes you have made to  the fsx.cfg.

P.S. Don't forget to clear your shader cache as well.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

After you have calibrated your monitor

I'm actually using a LCD tv as the monitor. So should I still do the color calibration thing? I am running DX9. I used the PMDG guide for the nividia tweaks. Only changes to the config were high memfix, and the affinity mask tweak. How do I clear the shader cache? 

I'm actually using a LCD tv as the monitor. So should I still do the color calibration thing? I am running DX9. I used the PMDG guide for the nividia tweaks. Only changes to the config were high memfix, and the affinity mask tweak. How do I clear the shader cache? 

I don't think it's any problem to calibrate a "TV" monitor. A good quality TV seller will have done a calibration before you purchased, unfortunately, most retailers don't ever bother. Just keep in mind that the changes you make will be applied across the board and will effect the appearance of your other uses of the monitor(Watching TV?).

I am not familiar with the PMDG settings and I don't think I have access to them since I am not a member of their forum.

To clear the Shader Cache just go to "User"/AppData/ Local/ Microsoft/FSX and remove the Shader folder. You may want to move it to a safe location in case you want to replace it later. When you start FSX next the folder will be rebuilt.

Hope this will help to resolve your issues. Good Luck!!

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals