Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Courses and nav radios tune for dept

Before start procedure set courses set nav for dept all that goood stuff but think i'm bogging myself down with setting fixes and radials on SIDs in the fmc and tuning the course for it just like tutorial to that raw data check! Is all this necessary well what i mean is what do you set in the nav 1 and nav 2 radios? The active runways ILS just incase you need to return? What i'm asking is what is the way or your way do you set courses and nav radios and also the minimum selector will i set this to the radio altituted / MDA of the ILS ?

Vernon Howells

You do not need to set minimums for departure. 

If I fly non-rnav SID, I always do it "manually", so I set radios and courses according to SID.

What about engine out height or something?

So do tune in VOR's and ADF's then?

Vernon Howells

What about engine out height or something?

So do tune in VOR's and ADF's then?

Vernon

I don't tune in any VOR's or ADF's and courses to them. I arm VNAV and LNAV before takeoff roll and just turn on A/P at 400 ft and let the plane follow the magenta line or I follow ATCs' vectors. I have not done any of that stuff since Tutorial 2.

There are no rules to this.

But generally, if there is a radial specified for the departure Course 1 is set to the first radial, Heading is set to the runway track and Course 2 is set to the second radial (if there is more than one) or set to the first radial if only one.

If there are no radials to follow, just the VOR is tuned with both courses set to the runway track. If there is no VOR then the ILS is tuned.

Logical ADFs, if available, are tuned that are either relevant in terms of tracking for the departure or for a return should it be needed.

Baro Minimums are set to the one engine inoperative acceleration altitude.

But generally, if there is a radial specified for the departure Course 1 is set to the first radial, Heading is set to the runway track and Course 2 is set to the second radial (if there is more than one) or set to the first radial if only one.

If there are no radials to follow, just the VOR is tuned with both courses set to the runway track. If there is no VOR then the ILS is tuned.

Logical ADFs, if available, are tuned that are either relevant in terms of tracking for the departure or for a return should it be

Vagabondo is right on the money. It's all about flight deck management to make things flow easy once in the air

Reik Namreg

Logical ADFs, if available, are tuned that are either relevant in terms of tracking for the departure or for a return should it be needed.

How do you find your minimums engine out? I have navigraphs can't find it

Vernon Howells

Settings of the radios don't affect minimums engine.

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_2987214', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_2987214', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '2987214' }, parseInt('') );

Try pages 11.31.23 to 11.31.42 in FCOMv2 and see if there is anything there that might help.

Nothing to do with navigraph, it is a performance thing. The standard one engine acceleration altitude in the books is 1500'. Some airlines use as low as 800' as a standard when they have the means to calculate airfield specific single engine accel alts with an EFB performance tool. Just stick to 1500', works everywhere :)

Why do you set EO ACCEL HT on BARO/RAD minimums?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Brian Nellis.

Brian Nellis

FCOM1, Normal Procedure, Pre-flight mentions only to set a decision height or altimeter reference with the baro  minimums selector. Honestly, I don't really know why I would set a decision altitude, never mind a height! Ergo, I don't really understand what Boeing is talking about there, neither does anybody else I have asked. Perhaps some of the insiders here do. But anyway, I digress. However, the "altitude reference" part is usually, by most operators, used to display the EO acceleration altitude.

This is done merely as a reminder only, it does not trigger anything to be done differently or automatically. The EO acceleration altitude is critical to guarantee for subsequent terrain clearance (whereas two engine acceleration is not). Accelerating early is a big no no, but there is some leeway for accelerating later (higher), but many performance calculation tools don't provide max altitude of an EO acceleration, so it is generally accepted that if an engine is lost, acceleration is at that reference is initiated even if the crew have to momentarily pause a recall checklist to do so.

Even though the baro mins is set as a reminder, the FMC Takeoff page 2/2 heights should also be programmed.

One final thing, in an earlier post, I said to just set it to 1500'. Wrong! Sorry about that. Set it to 1500' + airport elevation! 1500' would be below many airfields I fly from! :blink:

RE: setting DA(h) during pre-flight - My best guess is that it's set in the event of an in-air turn back for <enter valid reason(s) here> to the briefed return runway; OEI being one of those possible reasons. DA(h) is what I set and then blank (RST), personally. But I don't see any issue with setting EO ACCEL HT and having it displayed for the departure.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

If you're flying a standard SID, you should tune and identify all navaids you're gonna be needing to comply with said SID. That is, if you have to fly a VOR-radial, tune the VOR and set that radial on the course selector. That's the bare minimum in my opinion. If you're flying an RNAV departure, tuning applicable navaids and radials is not required, but "good practice" in my opinion. Having the ILS approach back to the airport in mind, in case anything happens, is also a good idea.

Using the FIX page for setting radials, VORs, waypoints is very useful!

You can watch my video on how I set up my aircraft to comply with a standard SID and how I fly it, the chart is on the description:

Thanks, didn't know this one, will start doing it now!

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

My best guess is that it's set in the event of an in-air turn back for to the briefed return runway

Yeah, that is the only logical reason, but why does it say DH and not DA???

Actually, if you think about that a turnback, where you don't take the time to set up for the approach is all about, i.e. a dire emergency - you ain't planning on going around!