Sign in to follow this  
BilboBaggins

Frooglesim vs. FSXGenius - a general concern

Hirdy2013, same question to you as Marc: what AV do you use?

Steven, I have used ESET for years and have never had a virus. Also run Flight1 wrappers without shutting anything down. They update the AV at least everyday and sometimes several times.

just dont trust in anything frogglesim says.. he sucks

And your evidence for this is what, specifically?

+1 for ESET smart security, lightweight (memory usage wise) compared to some of the others. has a gamer mode too. ;o)

For what it's worth, I usually take Frooglesim with a grain of salt...and a shot of tequila.

Cheers, Jazz

I used to use ESET Smart Securty on the recommendation of others. It is indeed a very lightweight AV and has no noticeable impact on system performance. However, if you do a little digging around around online you'll find quite a few tests where its detection/cleanup rate wasn't so great.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend MS Security Essentials either - again if you do some reading online you'll find quite a lot of reports where it demonstrated very mediocre malware detection. This seems to be born out by my wife's experience - I set up MS Security Essentials on her laptop and it wasn't long before she had malware on her system yet MS Security Essentials reported it was all clear. To be fair though she's not the most savvy internet user and will click on just about anything.

I did try Avast briefly, but found it dragged my framerate in MSFS down to 10fps. I asked the question on Avsim at the time and nobody else seemed to be having the problem. I'm absolutely certain it was Avast's antivirus protection that was causing the framerate drop. The problem only started when I installed Avast, when i disabled Avast's real time virus protection my framerates went back to normal, and when I switched it back on the framerates plummeted again. I had this with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the same system.

My choice for antivirus is Bitdefender Total Security. My brother purchased this back in 2012 - a license for 3 PCs over 1 year - and let me use the third license. I used it on my laptop for the year and was very impressed. When the license came up for renewal I ended up buying my own for use across my desktop, laptop and wife's laptop. If you have a read online you'll see that Bitdefender pretty much always comes up top for malware detection and cleanup. It also has a secure browser called "Safepay" which you can automatically activate when you are online banking or handing over your credit card details. I have seen absolutely no performance impact from using Bitdefender in any of my flight sims or general usage.

As an added layer of security I also use Malwarebyte's Anti Malware Pro. This isn't an antivirus as such, but it does seem to consistently pick up stuff that the antivirus packages miss. You can get a free version which is an on demand malware scanner, or you can pay a one off fee for the pro version which features real time protection. You'll find quite a few people use Malwarebyte's Anti Malware as a second line of defence after their antivirus package and it does seem to be very effective. One word of caution though - you need to make sure it will play nice with your antivirus. Most of the popular antivirus products work fine, but you should check first.

Yep, all good recommendations. I can also say with confidence that properly installed, maintained and configured, Norton 360 is great and has a lot of flexibility in customizing what you allow/deny, _if_ you know what you're doing.

Reality is, no security is fire-and-forget; you need to understand all the technologies, including those built into various browsers, and exactly what they do, to maintain adequate management of both protection and performance. And, in particular, this can vary with what you are doing on the PC, so active management of the software related to the stuff you're doing is really essential.

The danger is in thinking any one of these things is sufficient and can just be installed and you're done.

A good friend of mine years ago, Loyd Case, always had the best antivirus/malware recommendation: FDISK. :). Wipe it all out and install fresh (OS included) every three months or so. And this means don't even restore from backups, you do that, you just restore any problems, too.

It's hideous to contemplate but not too onerous if you're not a pack rat. :)

Have you been victimized by FSX Genius?  Have you lost money to him?  If so,  New Scotland Yard National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) would like to hear from you.

For more information on how to file a report go to:

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/reportingfraud

or to file a report:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

Ummm...  We got it the first time?

Ummm...  We got it the first time?

It's a pity HE or SHE didn't.  :huh:  :huh:

A member for only 4 months and only fours posts that were identical in every way? A great contribution to Avsim (as if I am going to be influenced by him (or her))? Yeah right!

Maybe he or she was the person that gave away their (pocket) money over the net.

Guilty until found innocent .......... it's a strange yet so young outlook on life.

What fraud?