Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

It's up to date - for FSX!

I recently bought a copy of Pooley's guide to UK airports, retail Value £25. Thing is, if I buy this years, it's way 'out of date' with FSX, frequencies of NDBs ILS etc. so I bought a shrinkwrapped 2007 copy for £7.50 and it arrived yesterday, what a great Bible of a book! Recommended for VFR pilots in the UK, best used with a pilot's aviation map, (£14) and plotter for measuring nautical miles on the map (£8).

Neat!

What a good idea!

For those looking for a quick way to access the FSX data base worldwide, I came across this neat web site:

FSXDB.com

Comes in handy when you just want some basic data, but don't want to hunt out a chart. Just type in the airport code into the top box, and all the "essentials" are tabulated. A great little web based utility!

Eugene

FSXDB - I would'nt say it is up to date. The database origins from data that FSX has been using in 2005/06. Since then  important data of several airports have been changed in RW.

Examples: KSEA and and EDDF have now three instead of two runways. Some airports have changed ILS frequencies (e.g. EDDS). Many VORs and NDBs  have been changed (Anchorage area  for example) and so on.

I would like to pay a fair price if an addon developer would bring us a completely new FSX database or, more important, a  P3D database with current airport and navigation data.

That's beeing said, FSXDB is still a good source for some quick information and many airport data are still accurate.

Thanks for that.

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Well that's the point really, Harry, the data/book/website you use has to be out of date if it is going to match up with the data within FSX...

FSXDB - I would'nt say it is up to date. The database origins from data that FSX has been using in 2005/06. Since then important data of several airports have been changed in RW.

Examples: KSEA and and EDDF have now three instead of two runways. Some airports have changed ILS frequencies (e.g. EDDS). Many VORs and NDBs have been changed (Anchorage area for example) and so on.

I would like to pay a fair price if an addon developer would bring us a completely new FSX database or, more important, a P3D database with current airport and navigation data.

That's beeing said, FSXDB is still a good source for some quick information and many airport data are still accurate.

I was thinking about this a month ago when some developers were saying that there is NO WAY that P3D will be updated with updated sharable navdata...that they would have to rewrite the sim from the ground up.  I may have even made the comment that it would be better to have a source for old charts and data given that you have an ATC program using X navdata, an airplane using Y navdata and a sim using Z navdata.  At least with no updates you can be pretty sure things are pretty in sync (or at least understand how not in sync they are!).  So....I'm not surprised and am actually a little happy about a site that has old data...since on my new rig I haven't updated anything yet.  On the other hand, this crap can't go on forever.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM