Sign in to follow this  
tandtintexas757

FSX CTD

System Asus Hero Z87 haswell, I7-4770K, 16 GIG Patriot memory, WD10EZEX drive

Can I add an ignorant question to this thread?

I have ran a CPU stress test, with CPU-Z  and other monitors running, there are no failures. So I don't think I have any hardware issues.

Still have the FSX CTD's. My old machine a 1st gen I7, rarely ever had a CTD, I could fly for hours.

I generally follow Nick N's FSX setup.

With this new hardware I can't fly for 10 minutes????

So after reading these posts, I am no closer to finding out what is going on, I guess I will start over with a complete reinstall testing hardware as I go.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I split your post from the other topic. It gets complicated when you post your problem in someone else's topic.

If you are receiving CTD's, then you need to download and run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html. Copy the latest crash results and paste the report here in your topic so we can see what might be causing your crash(es). Hardware failure is rare. Overclocking failure is a high probability. If you are overclocking, then reset it to Optimized Defaults. and see if the problems continue. I have a similar system as yours and exactly the same system as NickN's (I got mine first). I followed Nick's overclocking guidance and had nothing but crashes. Of course he says you need to run stress tests here and there as you change a BIOS setting to make sure there is stability and I did not do that as I have the same system as his. Yet my system crashed. So, I just used the ASUS auto settings and have successfully overclocked to 4.3GHz and it is extremely stable. That's why I say go back to optimized defaults and see if you are still getting crashes. A bad overclock setting anywhere in the BIOS will cause a crash even if you run stability tests and the stability tests show there is no problem. But, when I run FSX, crash. Strange, huh?

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just after I sent that post, by the way....what a terrible description of a problem, did I write that!

I did indeed reset bios to optimized defaults and what do you know, FSX worked flawlessly!

I was using ASUS fantastic 4 way optimization program, have never over clocked before and only have stock Intel CPU fan

So know what do you suggest, I did have it overclocked at 4.2, maybe I will just leave it stock for FSX, that is all I use this computer for anyway.

FSX has never looked so good to me, I may actually add OTX Global and Vector graphics, maybe even a weather generator.

Anyway appreciate the reply, the knowledge on this web site if you could bottle it would be priceless!

Regards

the knowledge on this web site if you could bottle it would be priceless!

A quote like that could be good under the AVSIM Logo! I would stay away from the "fantastic" 4-way optimization program that comes with ASUS AI Suite III. I finally got that program removed from my system but it was not easy. It took hours... weeks. The fastest way would have been reinstalling Windows 7 but I decided to wait until I upgraded to another OS or upgrade my computer system again.

I used the following video by JJ at ASUS for overclocking my system. The first 12 minutes or so tells you everything you need to know. By looking at this video, it will show you just how easy it is to overclock a Z87.

I have mine overclocked to 4.3GHz but JJ shows you how to overclock to 4.6 just as easily. Remember that not all I7 4770K CPU's are equal. Some are really good and suitable for maximum overclocking and some are "bad" and not very good with overclocking above 4.2 or 4.3. I think I got one of the "bad" ones as trying to overclock to 4.6 causes an occasional BSOD or unexplained crash. At 4.3, no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have watched this video, and several others of JJ.

I actually watched it before I bought the Asus system which is what convinced me.

Good stuff.

I have just done complete install of the OS, and am only updated the drivers as needed, the bios is done. I mean UAFI !!!

I just have the stock fan on the CPU so I don't want to risk much before I get a better one,  I don't want to do water either so, I won't be going much faster than that.

What are you using for cooling at 4.3?

What are you using for cooling at 4.3?

The Noctra D14 - http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en. I brought this cooler over from my previous i7 2600K system. Yet, with the Haswell, it's not all that important to try to OC above 4.5 and I think 4.3 or 4.4 are great OC's if you believe NickN's comments that a 4.5GHz OC in Haswell is equal to a 5.0GHz OC in Sandy Bridge - http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html. So I do not see the need to go out and stress your system and maybe cause overheating or hardware failure problems. If someone could prove to me I'm going to have high FPS and smooth flights with textures rendering immediately at all times with sliders all the way to the right with a 5.0 or higher OC, then maybe I might take that additional step. I can if I want to with the Noctra D14.

So, if you just follow JJ's guidance like I did and click on the XMP profile, sync all cores to 4.3 or 4.4, hit F10 and save the settings, and you should be good to go!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM