Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Wx and Flight Path application- a snapshot

This morning found be flying the latest 777 Beta from EGSS-LGKR.  A last minute parts shortage at the desalination plant close by called for an AeroLogic charter.  Looking at our load sheet we saw a ZFW of 230T indicating our desalination machinery weighed about 88.6T- a very comfortable load for this incredible cargo transporter.  Weather at both ends was perfectly acceptable and so we took on the suggested 23,633 kgs of best British kerosene and while it was pumping on-board, busied ourselves with the addictive banality of pre-flight. Warming the windows and activating ADIRU began the well rehearsed routine.

Sending our FP to Vatsim was automatically handled by PFPX.  In addition it sent our FP to TOPCAT and the FMC on board, so we were able to load the route with a simple up-select of the FMC Comm system.  ASN read the route as well, getting a detailed weather "tube" for generation. Adding the DVR7R departure it was time to activate, execute and PERF INIT.  The FMC comms will send you an uplinked PERF INIT, however, being old and boring I generate it myself.  I did however avail myself of the wind import, which then dispensed with the fuel warnings (without the tailwind- I was scheduled to arrive just below my reserve of 5.7T).  Happily, after the upload, allest gut.

Working through the ECLs I continued my prep.  About this time, I was notified that all loading had been completed, doors were latched shut and gear pins (with the bypass excepted) removed.  Ground control permitted a push and we were soon sitting on A Middle turning two very large GE-110s.  A sedate taxi to S1 allowed for all the sundry items to be ticked off, and with ECLs complete, lights and strobes on it was time to fly

I don't know how it works for you, but for me, each time I advance the throttles, stabilize and push TOGA, I still chortle.  The thrust available is simply marvelous.  We thumped down the centerline and rotated with that lovely two stage rotation- fly off then pitch for speed- which will come in so handy with her longer sibling.  Cleaned up we were happily climbing away and (ATC having given us free speed) laughing. 

Apparently the local CBs had also been busy during my preflight, and there was a distinct line just to our left. 

ahead_zps61ed4765.jpg

Glancing out the left window (totally brilliant to have a tangible reason to do that) I saw the line of thunderheads. 

left_zps72696706.jpg

A quick glance to the right showed clear. 

right_zps99f72eb6.jpg

Here's where it gets gob-smacking.... Looking at my magenta line I saw that the turn at Detling would leave me running too close for comfort.  I went HDG SEL and deviated for Wx, choosing a less pronounced turn that would leave me well clear, and yet still position myself nicely for a course intercept approaching KOK.  Absolutely stunning.  Immersion with this SP has increased ten-fold.  Soon I will expound on FBW and Go-Around behavior.... even the VOR X to 35 was luverly...but for now let me just say...I have had an entirely new facet of aviation appear, insert itself glaringly obviously and become a very important variable- she gets better and better :)

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

By the way, for anyone who happens to come by this thread:

You can thank Carl for a lot of the reports leading to better VNAV and FBW behavior (or in Carl's case: "behaviour").  He's generated a good bit of email traffic about both functions, and between his reports and the team's fixes, it just gets better and better.  Not sure how he notices this kind of stuff (kinda like Josua and a lot of the visual stuff), but where I'm kinda just sitting there going "wow, this is cool," they're sitting there noticing every little movement that's out of place.  Hats off to those guys for their attention to detail.

Kyle Rodgers

Very very cool!! Thanks for the update and great work.

Everyone is looking forward to this great SP1 upgrade

When you have final confirmation that the Beta process has been flawed for ages .... no offence meant Kyle but seriously ...

Feel free to show me the door - already checking my six to ensure it does not hits my arse as I pass through.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

When you have final confirmation that the Beta process has been flawed for ages .... no offence meant Kyle but seriously ...

I'm not sure I follow...

Kyle Rodgers

Reflecting on the SP and its progress I would say that this sort of thing exemplifies the transformation occurring. With each iteration of Beta software she is morphing into a living, breathing aeroplane. Many of you will relate to the idea that when you "fly" the NGX, taxi onto stand, transfer to APU electrics and bleed, and then reach over to cut the start switches, you experience a lingering moment, where you are still with her, not wanting that to stop. As N1 runs down, there's a denouement that leaves you feeling wistful. The finality of the Beacon switch is profound. The 777 is finally becoming that sort of simulation.

There is much to tell, so stay tuned.....

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

There is much to tell, so stay tuned.....

Carl, 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the SP. I as well as all of us are very exited and rather impatient for it.  :P

A suggestion, if you're going to take screenshots, can you use a method that doesn't make the shots blurry? I think you may be using the V key.  

A few methods I use;

1. Use a capturing program such as Fraps to capture screenshots.            Or...

2.Print screen button on your keyboard-> paste into the paint program and save as JPG.

Thanks!

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Let's chat for a moment about FMC Comms.

With PFPX I export my RTE to VATSIM, ASN, TOPCAT and the 777F with a few mouse clicks. Then it's off to wake up the sleeping giant. My default panel state has me on APU with the NAV lights on. After safety-checks my fingers dance across the overhead, turning on the ADIRU, warming the windows, and bringing up the RTE page on the CDU. Entering the DEP it's time to Route request. After the appropriate pause (simulating transmission and reception time) I am interrupted with a chime..... Our RTE has arrived! It's a simple matter to load the RTE and select the appropriate DEP. I must confess here, that after running through the fueling procedure a few times I have resorted to simply loading the ZFW and Fuel through the corresponding menus. PERF INIT is also request able, and there are options for CI etc. that will facilitate this. As alluded to earlier, I enjoy the exercise, and therefore do this manually. I get the ZFW automatically, get the RES and CRZ FL from the flight plan. My CIs are typically 35. That done, I use TOPCAT for Derates/Assumed Temp calculations. Before cross-checking the progress page it's time for a wind request. I can tell you that using PFPX or ASN will both yield readable AND UP-LOADABLE data. Again, it is easy to REQ from the prompts available on the LEGS page, and again after the commensurate delay the data is available for population. You are always able to choose to accept and populate or reject and re-request or enter manually.

Enroute, POS REPS are easy to read out correctly as it all populates in the correct format. DES winds are also requestable, and while waiting for the response, you can look up and populate the TRANS for arrival.  BTW reading this fora reminds me to prompt that all descent planning be done WELL BEFORE TOD ;).

Keep in mind, you can choose to have all of this automatically done, at appropriate times in flight flow, or you can just manually request as needed. I choose all manual, but perhaps in time I will change to have some automatically function to more realistically simulate ACARS and flight dispatch interaction.

Again, one of those small additions that lead to a cumulative momentous change in operational experience. Before long, listening for that chime will become second nature, and you will wonder how you ever flew without it?

BTW- yes, I did use the "V" key.... will experiment with the suggested alternates... but I'm mostly going to paint pictures with words... there are others so much more photo/video competent than I.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Entering the DEP it's time to Route request. After the appropriate pause (simulating transmission and reception time) I am interrupted with a chime..... Our RTE has arrived!

I think this is the feature I am most excited about. WXR is one thing, but simulating the datalink and request-able RTE and PERF INIT is like completing a long awaited circle! (or for programmers out there, it's like finally returning true (or false if that's what you want) after hours of debugging) B) .

Thanks for the updates Carl.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design