Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Flight Dynamics

Er, who says FSX doesn't support ffb?

I stand corrected - it has a simple stick shaker, gear bumper,, ground bumps, and crash parameters. Where are the stick and rudder force parameters?

I stand corrected - it has a simple stick shaker, gear bumper,, ground bumps, and crash parameters. Where are the stick and rudder force parameters?

The add-on FsForce implements variable control loading with airspeed and other improvements to force feedback: http://www.fs-force.com/

That being said, consumer force feedback peripherals are certainly very limited in their capabilities of reproducing the actual control forces of a real aircraft. Probably expensive and professional peripherals (PFC maybe?) may have better capabilities, but of course they're also very costly.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Here.

I think the issue is with how (little) the capability is implemented by the aircraft modellers - which is understandable considering the limited extent to which we flight simmers have bought into the hardware.

Nevertheless, don't knock the underlying capability; hat's off to Microsoft for their foresight on this. (How often to you find yourself saying that I wonder?)

Z

Here.

But that's DirectX not FSX. Are there any  stick and rudder force parameters in FSX?

I beg your pardon Gerry. I was sure I have read a document describing how to link the direct input effects with FSX but it seems I must have been dreaming.

I'll keep on investigating but until then you may have to disregard my whole "foresight" assertion...

Maybe it was the fs-force documentation I had been reading?

Z

I can't find them in the .cfg file and i'm not aware of anything in the .air file, although i haven't seen recently looked for them.. I also understand that FSUIPC has no access to the DirectX force feedback interface

Well I found the extent of FFB support in the aircraft.cfg here but this only further confirms your earlier assertion Gerry. I can't for the life of me find where I'd read about progressive and programmable control forces.

So where's the "me eating humble pie" smiley when I need it eh?

Moving swiftly on, this feature goes to somewhere very near the top of my wish list for FDE enhancement...

Z

Edit: I reckon it was this document wot got me all confused. Presumably SimConnect is feeding a layer of Dirk's code that in turn considers the profile parameters and instructs the FFB device accordingly.

Edit: I reckon it was this document wot got me all confused. Presumably SimConnect is feeding a layer of Dirk's code that in turn considers the profile parameters and instructs the FFB device accordingly.

A SimConnect application clearly works. Possibly FSUIPC might also work .

There are force-feedback parameters in the .air file which are settable by the FDE developer:

• Force feedback due to AoA
  • Force feedback due to elevator deflection
  • Force feedback due to elevator trim
  • Force feedback elevator force level
  • Force feedback due to aileron deflection

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I live and learn!

Which air  file records are they, and is there any description of their usage?

I live and learn!

Which air file records are they, and is there any description of their usage?

Control Surfaces (320).  AAM has some descriptions for some of them.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

- Rotary wing Flight Dynamics

- Prop effects modeling

- Correction of the core bugs in reciprocating engines ( such as the well known leaning bug ), as well as of some basic modeling of CS props, etc...

- Additional engine types modeling with associated properties that could be used to bring their model as close as possible to real performance, if info available...

- A working turn  & slip ( basic ) instrument, with plausible ball physics...

- and many many other things :-), like unlimited ( theoretically ) number of control / lift generation  surfaces, asymmetric wing and engine designs, combination of engine different engine types, most of these already possible in X-Plane for instance...

Weather is already very well done in MSFS / P3D, specially when excellent products like ASN are used, but some additional modeling of the atmosphere would be welcomed.

In the scenery area, I would really like to have sloped runways / taxiways. In MS FLIGHT we could land on sloped terrain and it worked very convincingly, if I recall...

I would also like to have all of the navdata indep of the scenery files.

+1

Control Surfaces (320). AAM has some descriptions for some of them.

All I can find in Aircraft Airfile Manager aam.ini  for Record 320 is:

No more used since FS2002. The data is now stored in the AIRCRAFT.CFG section [geometry] and [flaps.#].

For prior FS versions:

Dimensions, deflection angles and force feedback for elevator, aileron, rudder, flaps, spoiler and trim.

Deflections affect related Sec 1101 parameters.

Is there more?

Is there more?

Hmmm...if I had an FFB yoke or joystick it'd be easy to test whether the whole section was deprecated or not.  Looking at my higher end aircraft (RealAir Duke, PMDG 737 NGX) all of the items are filled in.  I don't know any more than that.  There is also a forcefeedback section in the .cfg file

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#mozTocId567955

but it doesn't seem to lend itself to airfoil forces. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp