Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Aerosoft twin otter extended

Thinking about purchasing.

Doe anyone out there have any detailed experience with the beta range (reversers) for this plane, and how well the turbo engine is modeled by the dev?

Also a few detailed questions below on using the reversers after touchdown.

I am reading a little bit about the reversers and was curious how well this works on landings?

1. If you put the power lever to reverse, the blade pitch at that point must be controlled by the power lever itself as nothing I can find states otherwise. Is this correct?

2. Once in reverse and the AC has slowed to taxi speed or desired speed what is the process at that point to go back into power mode? What position would the pilot put the power level i.e. idle, 10% power etc.

3. Is there a delay for the reset of the blade angle from reverse to taxi? 

Anyone have any detailed experience with this phase of flight? There is also an Alpha range as well as the Beta range,  but not sure if Aerosoft implemented this.

Regards

Bob

Don't have much 'knowledge' about turbo's and beta ranges and such...

But when I land.. I just hit F1 to Idle the throttles once I'm done with the reversers.

Trickiest part for me, is taxing.. don't know if I'm doing it right or not, but usually turn the pitch way down when taxing, so it doesn't over accelerate.

This plane is one of my favorites, if you're not an owner yet.

The reverser can be tricky. At the gate , I use push back. On landing I  push a key on the keyboard, like the throttle there is a delay. Tracker would make it a lot easier to do the cockpit controls.

htuna, jetsmell (your names together are pretty funny)

Thanks for that. I am really looking for real world and how this is done by real pilots of this plane and what is and not done or modeled correctly by the devs, or what can I can and cannot do with this simulated aircraft. I am for sure asking for a little training I guess. When I learn about these planes I always try to learn Real world 1st then I can understand what the dev did and did not do and make those adjustments when I fly. 

Regards

Bob

FSX does mot do turboprops well, but aerosoft have done a good job on this. Just watch you taleofff power and your star up if you dont want to wreck your engines.

I had one blow up on me on start up one time.. thought that was cool.. does it do random failures? Or did I just really screw up?

Got to test the Fire Extinguisher!

I had one blow up on me on start up one time.. thought that was cool.. does it do random failures? Or did I just really screw up?

Got to test the Fire Extinguisher!

Engine fire happens if you advance the mixture too soon after engaging the starter.

To me this is a no-brainer.  Go ahead and purchase.  One of the best aircraft I have purchased.  I don't think you will be sorry.

A couple years back I was fortunate enough to fly to St. Barths (TFFJ) via Sint Maarten (TNCM).

The crew was kind enough to explain the engine start process during the flight and I was smart enough to film it!

I also filmed the landing at St. Barths (TFFJ), complete with reverse thrust....

Nice videos. Thank you. Looks like these guys have done this before.

Bob

Flying into TFFJ on a Twin Otter is something that every aviation buff should try at least once.

If that cannot be made possible, doing it in FSX with the Aerosoft Twin Otter and Fly Tampa's rendition of TFFJ will suffice.

Flying into TFFJ on a Twin Otter is something that every aviation buff should try at least once.

If that cannot be made possible, doing it in FSX with the Aerosoft Twin Otter and Fly Tampa's rendition of TFFJ will suffice.

Thank you! I have been doing some reading and it is an incredibly versatile aircraft, with a lot of character. 

Regards

Bob