Sign in to follow this  
jfri

P3DV2 + addons more complicated than anticipated

After starting to install my FSX add ons in P3D V2 I soon discovered that it was not as straightforward as I first thought. When it comes to  enhancing P3DV2 with add ons to get as much as possible out of P3DV2 , you first have to consider if it's advisable to install the product at all. My concern here is that the sim should be messed up in a way that might not  surface right away or be more subtle. If an add on does not have a specific P3DV2 installer should you try install it and how? . I have purchased the Estonian migration tool, how confident can I be in it? I have these products for FSX and have to decide if to install them.

The FSgenesis mesh for North America + Hawaii + Mexico. The master compatibility list mention NA V2 with EMT. But some of my files says V1. And I'm somewhat confused. In Hawaii I see no difference in the mountain between FSX (with FSGenesis) and P3DV2 default.

The Aerosoft airports for Reykjavik Oslo London (egllxtremefsxv2FREE)

ORBX scenery without the triple installer like many cities.

I also learned that a product listed as for P3D does not mean it's compatible with P3DV2. For example my Robin DR-400 for FSX P3D does not work.

I'm afraid that you are facing the same problem as the rest of us...

While some addons for FSX transition fine into P3Dv2, some do not well or at all.

My advice is to take it one addon at a time. Instead of doing what we've been able to do with FSX for the past few years, install FSX -> Acceleration/SP1&2 -> Addons all in one swift stroke, you need to go piece by piece. Install anything that is noted to have a P3Dv2 installer first and verify that all is well by using it, then if you're not sure about a particular addon, consult the compatibility list and install if you decide to, then try it out and see if it works. If it does, then good, but if not remove it and move onto the next thing.

We're experiencing with FSX -> P3Dv2 what we experienced in FS9 -> FSX. Some stuff works, other stuff does not.

Addons that require an external DLL or executable to run (Ultimate Traffic 2, some Aerosoft planes, A2A accusim and accufeel products, PMDG, Captain Sim, Orbx Airports utilizing Objectflow, etc.) that are not marked or updated as P3Dv2 compliant are the most hazardous, while addons that do not (FSGenesis mesh, Carenado/Alabeo aircraft, any aircraft that doesn't rely on external DLLs or executables, external weather programs, etc.) are the safest.

As time goes on and P3Dv2 is more stable, we will have the luxury of using it like we have FSX for the last 5 years; knowing that we can install and go.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I think P3Dv2 will be ready to move across to, without the headaches, once all the third party developers have created the correct installers for their products.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I think P3Dv2 will be ready to move across to, without the headaches, once all the third party developers have created the correct installers for their products....

....assuming that most of them do not charge for the products all over again. If that isn't the case, then P3D is a no go zone for me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

....assuming that most of them do not charge for the products all over again. If that isn't the case, then P3D is a no go zone for me.

Why so black-and-white?

If someone has to do work in order to convert something to work properly in P3D, then don't they deserve recompense?

This is FS9 -> FSX all over again... :rolleyes:

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I am not saying that they don't deserve to be compensated for any work that is done. What I am saying is that I am not prepared to pay for the same addons all over again.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've also noticed that some FSX/P3Dv1.4 add-ons at first seem to work fine but then starts causing all sorts of crashes. I used vanilla P3Dv2.2 with only, ASN and the Alabeo Cutlass which both has native P3Dv2.2 installers. Everything worked beautifully until I started adding carenado planes and the a2a cub. Even after I uninstalled these offenders it kept on crashing so I had to re-install, again. Now I'm not going to install ANYTHING that isn't P3Dv2.2 native because it's tiresome to keep re-installing stuff, I just wanna fly. I won't re-purchase anything either, you kidding me?

If an add on does not have a specific P3DV2 installer should you try install it

I've decided not to. I moved alot of stuff over from FSX on my first P3Dv2 install, and soon enough had strange artifacts and other issues I could not cope with.

My second install I'm trying to use proper P3Dv2 installers only.

It's still worth it, the essential addons for me are already ready. I'm a GA/prop/military guy. For the big-iron crowd it's not though. 

EDIT: and I'm prepar3d to pay to get the good stuff P3Dv2-ready. But it'll be less and less of an issue, as the new stuff coming now more often than not is P3Dv2-ready from release. 

Everything worked beautifully until I started adding carenado planes and the a2a cub. Even after I uninstalled these offenders it kept on crashing so I had to re-install, again.

Thats strange. What does LM say about this? So far I have installed the A2A C172 and yet no issues. It's not the A2A Cub and C172 explicitly stated as being P3D2 ready? The Carenado planes are no complex products. I find it weird that installing any plane could cause crashes even after uninstalling them.

A2A's Piper Cub works fine in P3D 2.2.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE