Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Shooting stars in FSX?

Cruising at FL 390 tonight in PMDG NGX, sure I saw what appeared to be two "shooting stars" come whizzing past the nose of the aircraft from right to left. Bright white with a short "tail". Never seen this before in FSX. By the time I took the controls to look around, they were gone.

Does such a thing exist? It was not another aircraft else the TCAS would have alerted me. I really don't think it was a graphic glitch. I am using REX Essential+ textures and ASN, no other atmospheric add ons.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I have actually seen a few of them over the years.

It's been awhile though I have been doing alot of daytime flights.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Using FSX vanilla me see birds eagle and rare shooting stars not see if me using some addons maybe some developer block some animations because  the birds eagle are not there and replace by other birds.

The birds in FSX appear if you set the "Thermal visualization" to Natural, under the Weather tab. If you use an addon that sets it to None, likely a weather addon, they are gone...

Shooting stars? That's what you saw, seen them too myself, more than once...pretty nice to see in a bright night...lol...

Enrico

Yes, the shooting stars are part of FSX.  I've seen them just a couple of times over the years. 

The eagles are an option in FSX to show updrafts, if not mistaken. 

Alexander Alonso

Is there a scenery add-on to add more shooting stars ??

14ppkc-6.png

Wow ok, I have never seen it before this, guess I was lucky. Pity I was concentrating on the approach plates on my iPad at the time, so I almost missed it completely. Need to do more night flying I guess!

Seen plenty birds, not sure I have seen an eagle though.... and I never did master the gliders and thermals in FSX.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I can confirm shooting stars exist in FSX. Last summer while doing some Norwegian night flights I saw quite a few, they are very quick - maybe 2-3 seconds, but when you catch them they are quite spectacular!

Its a neat feature in FSX, to keep you satisfied on long hauls during the dead of night ^_^

I thought I was seeing things the other month as I thought I saw something whizz across the night sky, then last week I saw them again so they definitely exsist. I am not going mad :smile:

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

UFO maybe? Real pilots see them all the time. :h0134:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Putzing around this morning it was found that the effect "fx_shootstar2.fx" provides the visuals. It is most likely controlled by scenery files with a random number controller. I decided to add it to an aircraft as a smoke and voila! shooting stars whenever wanted. Due to the refresh rate of the aircraft container the "shooting stars" look more like meteors like the one in Russia rather than the long, thin streaks like an upper atmosphere object. (Scenery)

Russia_Meteor_explosion_52642.jpg

Screen_05152014_071142_zpsec16d583.jpg

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0 = 10000.0,  0.0, 3000.0, fx_shootstar2

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap