Sign in to follow this  
ap1

FSX chime in mid flight and when about to land.

I have FSX standard edition with the latest version of FSUIPC 4.934 which is unregistered and Radar Contact 4.  Whenever I first installed RC with FSUIPC I've gotten these chimes in mid flight and when about to land.  Eventually I get an error message saying computer has ran out of memory please turn down graphic settings in FSX, and then FSX closes.  With that said, I have no idea what's going on and what's causing this.  I also hope someone can help me out, thanks.

You are encountering the infamous OOM error (out of memory). The chimes are a feature of FSUIPC to warn of an impending OOM. You can search the forums for endless discussions of the issue, but basically the problem is that FSX has a hard-coded limit of 4gb of virtual memory, and will CTD when that load is reached.

There's no way around it...only solution is to keep under 4gb by making tradeoffs between reducing sliders, deactivating scenery, etc.

Also, make sure you have the HIGHMEMFIX tweak in your fsx.cfg.

Michael Faia

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

You are encountering the infamous OOM error (out of memory). The chimes are a feature of FSUIPC to warn of an impending OOM. You can search the forums for endless discussions of the issue, but basically the problem is that FSX has a hard-coded limit of 4gb of virtual memory, and will CTD when that load is reached.

There's no way around it...only solution is to keep under 4gb by making tradeoffs between reducing sliders, deactivating scenery, etc.

Also, make sure you have the HIGHMEMFIX tweak in your fsx.cfg.

Well that's unfournate to hear that it can't be fixed, LOL.  About this HIGHMEMFIX tweak, is this a download or is it something in your fsx.cfg?  Is there a tutorial that shows how to do this?  Thanks.

Yup it's just a line you add to your fsx.cfg. Google HIGHMEMFIX for how to apply it. It won't help the OOM issue but it helps other problems with FSX memory management. It's basically the one "tweak" you can't do without.

Another thing you can do is install the app Process Explorer from microsoft, it will let you monitor FSX's VAS (virtual address space) usage so you can see when your approaching the limit. You can also use it to see how particular addons, slider adjustments, graphics settings, scenery, etc effects the VAS size, to learn how best to stay below the limit with your system.

Michael Faia

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Yup it's just a line you add to your fsx.cfg. Google HIGHMEMFIX for how to apply it. It won't help the OOM issue but it helps other problems with FSX memory management. It's basically the one "tweak" you can't do without.

Another thing you can do is install the app Process Explorer from microsoft, it will let you monitor FSX's VAS (virtual address space) usage so you can see when your approaching the limit. You can also use it to see how particular addons, slider adjustments, graphics settings, scenery, etc effects the VAS size, to learn how best to stay below the limit with your system.

OK, thanks.