Sign in to follow this  
blakie61

Nubie question re installing updates

Hi,

First time posting here so in advance my appologies if this is a question that has been answered elsewhere.

I have recently purchased MCE and am already impressed with what it can do.

My first question is how do I download new updated versions as they are released.

The download page on the main site lists the updated version number but only shows a "Demo" download.

My second question would be if I have to download the "Demo" version what files would I have to copy across to the new version ie Keys etc

as I understand I would have to remove the old version.

I have spent the day trolling through the forum and main site but couldn't find a "how to upgade" option

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave - if you go to the Downloads page on the MCE site, you will find the latest version to download. The devs also usually send out an email and post on this forum if there is a significant new release available.

To upgrade, you need to un-install the old version (using Windows Control Panel/Programs & Features). Do not delete any MCE folders, or you will lose your key and settings. Then simply install the new version. Occasionally the devs will instruct you to delete your mce.ini file (your settings) and rerun the application wizard to create a new one, but you only need to do this if instructed.

I think that's it. I'm sure someone will correct me if  missed anything :unsure:

Hi Dick

Thanks for the quick reply   . I take it then that the download is the one the is labeled "Download MCE Demo"  ?? as I can't see any other download links.

If that's the case then It's time to update   :)

Cheers Dave

Mmm - it does say Demo, doesn't it ? But I think the only thing that makes it demo/full is your key. It's been a while, but I think I recall that when you purchase(d) MCE they send you a new key to make it a full version. The downloaded code is the same. Again, someone may correct me !

Hi Dave,

you can download the demo version.

Uninstall previous version via control panel, and reinstall demo version

As long as it stays on the same drive your product  stays full version.

You'll need to run the app wizzard if there are new planes supported.

John

John Cramer

Thanks guys,

All done per your instructions and up and running (flying).

Totally impressed with MCE so far and your help here on the forum .I'm looking forward to

mastering it step by step.

First challenge is convincing my better half that talking to my computer when flying does not constitute dabbling in the "Black Arts"  :P

Cheers Dave

Hi Guys I recently purchased MCE and its version 2598 but I find it very difficult to use just babble from the first officer. I Did the voice training but he just babbles and I don't know why. 

Josef

Hi Guys I recently purchased MCE and its version 2598 but I find it very difficult to use just babble from the first officer. I Did the voice training but he just babbles and I don't know why. 

Josef

Possibly microphone gain set too high, or a very noisy cockpit environment. As a result, FO is likely "hearing things".

Suggest you update to V2.6.1.0 on website

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Follow that with a restore to MCE factory settings

Click Start->All Programs->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Restore factory settings.

Are you using a USB headset or a conventional 3 mm jack plug type one?

What Windows version are you running?

Could you post a screenshot of the <About> tab of the UI?

Thanks

HI Thank you fro your response. I Can only see the demo although it mentions V2.6.1.0 .

So being new to this I am unsure of what to do.

I Don't now I am afraid how to post a screenshot what is the UI.

I Am using a high quality USB headset that works perfectly using other Addons that are similar to MCE which I cant mention. Windows 7 is what I am running.

Thank you for your help.

HI Thank you fro your response. I Can only see the demo although it mentions V2.6.1.0 .

So being new to this I am unsure of what to do.

I Don't now I am afraid how to post a screenshot what is the UI.

I Am using a high quality USB headset that works perfectly using other Addons that are similar to MCE which I cant mention. Windows 7 is what I am running.

Thank you for your help.

Sorry, by UI I meant user interface.

The <About> tab gives us a rough idea about your hardware configuration.

I wanted to check CPU and RAM figures.

Anyway, shouldn't matter now since you are already familiar with speech based products. And all of them are using the same speech engine.

Un-install whatever version you have via WIndows Control Panel.

Download the latest (2.6.1.0) from this link

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Unzip and run "setup".

Follow that with a reset to factory settings

Start->All Programs->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Restore factory settings.

That will prompt the wizard to run. No need for speech training though.

After that, you should have the settings that work for most people.

If you can't communicate with FO. I mean your speech isn't understood, here are a few possible reasons.

MCE might be tuned to the wrong microphone input. You need to run the "assign sound device tool"

Start->All Progsms->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Assign sound device.

Select USB headset for both "Audio IN" and "AUDIO OUT", then click OK and let the wizard make the automatic adjustments. That will set the speech engine to use your preferred audio input.

If for some reason you see "Speech recognition in DIALOG MODE" and the aircraft is on the tarmac ready to fly, without any FSX (P3D) dialog box showing, right-click anywhere on the user interface and select "Force flight mode" from the drop-down menu.

"Flight Mode"  (showing Copilot listening on...whatecver_aircraft) is the only mode where you will be able to communicate with co-pilot.

To check what sound input and output MCE is currently using, go to <About> tab of the user interface.

If it's on the wrong input, don't be surprised that nothing gets recognised.

Hi Thank you for the excellent assistance you have given.

I Will do as required and report back here tomorrow and let you know how I get on and thank you once again for your much appreciated help on this matter.

Josef