Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Messed up ILS frequencies?

So attempting to land at KDEN I realized the FMC data in the PMDG 737 and the FSX ILS Course data were different. So obviously the plane didn't intercept the GS. Now I looked online and thought I found this thing that updates the ILS frequencies/courses so I installed it into the scenery folder and replaced the magdec file with the new one. 

So my next flight I am landing at KEWR 22R and I have 110.75/219 setup but the plane doesn't intercept the localizer either. And the co-pilot tells me localizer deviation. Now I looked at the map and I had the stuff tuned correctly so why did the plane not intercept the LOC or GS. 

Could it be when I updated the file it messed something up? Or could somebody recommend the correct tool to update this stuff? 

Get ADE. (Airport design editor) its free. Install. Load airport BGL. List airport frequencies. Edit the ILS frequency. save file. Compile.  It should put new wirport ino addon scenry folder if you tell it to.Done.

I just checked the default airport... all appears to be correct.

Might want to check for pilot error, to be honest.

One thing that confuses me about this... it's an ILS, and to be honest for an ILS the course setting is strictly for the pilot's mind. The lateral and vertical deviation really shouldn't care what course you put into the nav instrument.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that Pete Dowson's makerunways tool helps with this.

Aamir Thacker

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that Pete Dowson's makerunways tool helps with this.

Corrected: You're wrong!   :lol:

Addons like FS2Crew (RAAS) and RadarContact rely on the files created by makerwys. But the NGX navdata comes with its own database, and ILS's and frequencies in FSX are read directly from the bgl files.

That's why in post #2 the recommendation is to edit the corresponding bgl file ... unless, of course, it turns out to be user error.   :rolleyes:

Ah, well, fair enough! 

TIL, I guess ;)

Aamir Thacker

This happens all the time, navigraph data is fairly current to 'real' world and FSX data is 7 years old. Since the AP / NAV mode (ILS) only reads FSX data, you need to verify freqs on the FSX map page,

Jay

I guess where I stated I checked the default FSX airport and both the frequency and the heading are correct... no one noticed that, eh? LOL

[EDIT]

Problem 'Chainsawz'? Or do you just like marking posts?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

This happens all the time, navigraph data is fairly current to 'real' world and FSX data is 7 years old. Since the AP / NAV mode (ILS) only reads FSX data, you need to verify freqs on the FSX map page,

Yea I am wondering if there is a way to where I don't have to do that for each flight? Just be able to update everything so I know the 737 FMC is gonna match the frequency/course in FSX. The airport design editor sounds like a good tool but I really don't want to try and figure out what airports are correct and what airports are not. I figured there might be an easier way but if there is not then so be it and I'll do that. 

I guess where I stated I checked the default FSX airport and both the frequency and the heading are correct... no one noticed that, eh? LOL

Yea that is what I found that I had everything inputted correctly however I got localizer deviation and I don't know why. That is why I thought maybe when I switched the files something got messed up. From what I recall the approach was right where it should have been. I was below the GS to capture at the correct altitude so I am not exactly sure where I could have gone wrong. Maybe I did and I just don't remember. 

If you are properly flying to the approach waypoints, the course shouldn't matter.  That is, if you overfly the final approach fix, you should be properly aligned with the ILS. 

scott s.

Yea I am wondering if there is a way to where I don't have to do that for each flight? Just be able to update everything so I know the 737 FMC is gonna match the frequency/course in FSX.

Sorry, there is nothing out there available that updates the entire FSX database, but it sure would be a great product if a developer decided to so it! The folks at Navigraph would be the ideal candidate sine they already have the data.

My 'bandaid' is to use FSCommander on a second screen. It shows all the FSX only data and I can verify what the FMC is telling me. A prime example is a flight yesterday.... the FMC said there was an ILS, FSCommander said there was only an NDB, so the ILS freq was useless. Having commander on a second screen or second computer lets you fly the flight without messing with the FSX map view.

Jay