Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Are O.O.M's possible in P3D?

I have been in my longest flight to date...about 1.5 hours at this time, at 3,500 ft over ORBX Global Florida.

No problems reported, sim running smooth, animation is great.

Can you still generate O.O.M's..with this 32 bit program?  Just wondering...

Well.... I've really tried.. honest. I purchased prepar3dv2 when it was first available. As a long time FS user, I have grown accustomed to "treading carefully". When I first started using it, I couldn't complete a flight between Anchorage and Fairbanks without an OOM. I'd make it about 60nm out of Anchorage in the Carenado A36 and BAM... that was that. Tried numerous times, couldn't make it work. After updating to V2.2 I completed the flight no problems. Loaded up Just Flights 727, flew from KJFK to KPORD... no problems. Purchased Flightbeams KDEN and KIAD. Flew the route, Airline and General Aviation AI set at 50% Settings-Scenery all the way to the right, even called up ATC, got vectored onto final, opened another window to watch the landing, landed, taxied to the gate, used the ACE tool to reconfigure the aircraft, called up ATC for departure for clearance, taxied,  opened another window again so I could watch the departure and flew back to KDEN where I again watched the landing in another window....... did my turnaround just like at KIAD, taxied back to the active using ATC,  took-off and flew back to KIAD. Contacted KIAD Tower for landing clearance and......... hey, that looks like my desktop...... But I think I had to try pretty hard to achieve that. :lol:

But I think I had to try pretty hard to achieve that

---------------------------------------------------------

So, I guess that I am good to go....for you work it much more busily that I do, lol.  Good to see that it really takes a lot to put her to the desktop.  Thanks.

Mitch

Wait until more scenery (OrbX airports) etc. have been made compatible and new, even more detailed add-ons are released. Certainly we will hit the limit again at some point. This 32-bit application is limited to 4GB of memory while our computers come with 8, 16 or even 32GB of RAM these days. It's a shame we can't use it all.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Eventually they'll get to 64bit but Wes has already said that they plan on getting quite a bit more use out of the 32bit model by recoding and moving more to the GPU. The simple change with the autogen trees has made a significant reduction in OOM's.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

@JimmiG... it is more accurate to say that we are limited to only ~4GB of address space, which is not the same thing as memory.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@JimmiG... it is more accurate to say that we are limited to only ~4GB of address space, which is not the same thing as memory.

Yes, but the result of being limited to 4GB of (actually "virtual") address space is that we're limited to using 4GB of memory :) ie "Party like it's 2006".

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yep even with the V2.2 fix I still have the odd OOM.  Once the video ram is eaten up, there's nothing left no matter how much you tinker.  Planning transcontinental; back off the sliders a bit.

Jim

Yes, but the result of being limited to 4GB of (actually "virtual") address space is that we're limited to using 4GB of memory :) ie "Party like it's 2006".

It means a critical difference when you stop to consider that the 4GB VAS limit only applies to the specific application being run. The more physical RAM you have installed, the more applications may be run concurrently without adversely affecting each another's VAS allocations.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have thrown everything I can at P3D 2.2 and so far not a single OOM.  I am very impressed with it and hope 2.3 brings even more performance improvements.  At one point I was crying 64 bit, but if they can even improve on the memory management of 2.2., they will probably have tons of life still left in the 32 bit P3D.