Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Not getting take-off clearance once lined up

I have had this at a couple of airports and tried again at each to make sure it was repeatable.

I get the ATC clearance, taxi clearance and taxi to the holding point. I then get clearance to line up and wait, but after that nothing, no matter how long I wait (5 mins!).

I realise that I have to go through a 'gate' between the holding point and being lined up, but I think I am doing it the same as at other airports where it works fine.

I have taxied off and back on and even restarted RC4 and stepped thru' from ATC clearance to cleared to line up again, but still no take off clearance is given.

Is there anyway to get around this when it happens, or stop it happening?

Thanks

Nigel

Are you taxiing to the end of the runway or to a midway point?

Are you instructed to contact / monitor Tower enroute to the holding point?

Have you updated the RC database by running MakeRunways?

You have to be within 20 degrees of the runway heading before you will be given take-off clearance.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have seen this before in RC and its so easy to overlook. Once you open RC and select your saved flt pln. go to Controller info and double check that all boxes are checked (Clearance, Departure and Approach). I've noticed that at some airports, 'Clearance' is left uncheck and sometimes I'm left waiting  forever for departure to let me loose. See if this is the case.

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Thanks for your replies.

Ray.

I see where you are coming from, but in both cases the taxiway took me to the very end (begining) of the runway.

Yes, I was so instructed, but after switching to Tower, that's how I got the line up and wait command and acknowledged.

Yes I have run MakeRunways recently.

I can see that, but I think if I were even 5 degrees off the runway heading I'd be a poor pilot!

Troy

I will check those settings, but I've not been near them to change them.

Although, something that maybe connected. I have had a few prompts the last few times I started RC, telling me I have either no chatter voices set or the same voice set in co-pilot and Contoiller! But I haven't changed anything and I've used RC plenty of times before without such a message - and I've not been into Voices to make changes!

Perhaps RC is losing or changing settings on it's own!

Nigel

I have had a few prompts the last few times I started RC, telling me I have either no chatter voices set or the same voice set in co-pilot and Contoiller! But I haven't changed anything and I've used RC plenty of times before without such a message - and I've not been into Voices to make changes!

Perhaps RC is losing or changing settings on it's own!

Strange! I have never seen that before. Are you getting this message directly from RC4 when you launch from your desktop or from within FSX? The only other time I have seen confusion from RC4 is with PMDG777. When the T7 is started from cold and dark, the Mic is disabled by default. You would have to enable the Mic in order to  get any response from RC4. Other than that, nothing else. But you should definetly check RC4 and make sure those boxes are checked each time you load up a flight plan.

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Nigel,

What airports does this happen at? Default or addon?

You could try switching to a default aircraft just to eliminate the possibility of an addon aircraft causing a problem.

I also think you need to check your Pilot and Controller voices. You shouldn't have a Copilot and Pilot using the same voice set.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks again both

Troy

The Voices messages have come when I try to Start RCv4 (having opened the app and selected the flight plan. But it's only happened twice and recently.

I am running Orbx FTX Global and Vector and have got hooked on the RealAir Duke as my aircraft of choice.

The only add-on aurfield is EGKA (Shoreham)

Ray

The airports (2) that it has happened are standard FSX airports, the latest being in Brazil (I am doing a Round the Word tour)

I am sure the Voices have been right until very recently, but anyway I haven't changed them.

So the main point I am getting is that when I am lined up, apparently having followed instructions correctly (as at other fields), there is no way to trigger the missing T/O clearance or by-pass it?

I am of the assumption that if I were to T/O after getting nothing for 5 minutes, the controller would chime up saying I had no T/O clearnce!

Nigel

Nigel,

You can take-off without permission. You'll be shouted at but afterwards RC will run as normal.

I think this needs a log sending to JD so he can see exactly what's going wrong. The instructions are pinned near the top of this forum. Go through your normal procedures and then after waiting for 20 seconds on the runway close RC and the resultant log will tell JD exactly what's going on.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OK Ray I will try that later.

I have to get out of this field (I diverted for fuel going into Sao Paulo). I was going to try and choose the other end of the runway as it was offered, to see if that worked.

If I can't or the wind is against me (i.e., with me) then I will have to break the rules. I just had a feeling that if I took off without the T/O clearance then I would be shouted at and told to return repeatedly.

Thanks

Nigel

When this happens again, try turning off your AI. Sometimes RC doesn't give the AI taking off ahead of you the "contact departure" message and just sits there.

nmerced

Thanks, it's a thought. But it was a quiet place that day and no other take-offs ahead or behind me.

But maybe RCv4 thought there were!

Nigel

nmerced

Thanks, it's a thought. But it was a quiet place that day and no other take-offs ahead or behind me.

But maybe RCv4 thought there were!

Nigel

That would be very unusual.  RC constantly scans for Ai and their heading, altitude and speed. If there was an inbound you wouldn't be given permission to line up and wait. It's probably a setting that has changed in RC which is why a log to JD will clear things up.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OK I tried again. It was different though still not right, but maybe there is an extra clue.

Tho' the wind was still calm I was given the opposite runway to last time.

As there was an AI going out before me I chose to follow and see where it went.

It barely followed the taxiways, but did get on to the runway.

There was the need to backtrack about 100 meters to the start.

At the end the AI did a wide, almost figure of eight! before it eventually lined up BUT it didn't pause until substantially down the runway!

I chose to taxi to the same point, after it had taken off, following my 'taxi into position and wait' command.

I sat for a good 3 minutes allowing sufficient time for the AI, that had just taken off, to clear ahead of me.

I gave up waiting and commenced take off.

About 30 seconds after take-off, instead of being chided for taking off without permission, the controller complained I hadn't taken up the heading I was given!

I turned to the heading and all continued as normal!

The fact the AI commenced take-off from well away from the threshold suggests that FSX (and I assume RCv4) think the runway start (at this airport) isn't where the markings are.

But even tho' I got to the same position and on the same line, it didn't trigger the 'clear to take-off'.

I don't know why RCv4 didn't complain about me taking off without clearance. Maybe it is in my imagination that I thought it would.

But it did seem to skip something as it did complain that I wasn't on the heading, when it hadn't given me a heading!

Nigel

P.S. The whole flight was a bit of an adventure since landing into Sao Paulo I was beaten to the runway by an AI  B737. Hence as I crossed the threshold I encountered it's wake vortex and was thrown aboiut quite badly so I had to abort and go around. It does make the whole thing seem quite real sometimes!

Nigel,

You're not going to resolve this until JD has looked at the log. The airport you're using sounds as though there's something unusual about the runway start points.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather