Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Does not XPlane 10 have support for VOR ILS and NDB navigation?

I read in the commetary field of a  youtube revieww of XPlane 10 stating that there are no VOR ILS NDB in Xplane 10.

Is this really true? I had VOR ILD NDB on my Commodore 64 based flight simulatror.

I read in the commetary field of a  youtube revieww of XPlane 10 stating that there are no VOR ILS NDB in Xplane 10.

Is this really true? I had VOR ILD NDB on my Commodore 64 based flight simulatror.

Youtube video link?

Don't believe everything people write as comments on YouTube videos. Of course X-Plane has VOR/NDB navigation :smile:

Works fine for me too..

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

I wouldn't pay attention to the comments below the video, I had a quick scan, and most of it is complete nonsense.

Of course X-Plane has realistic VOR/NDB/ILS, etc, whatever he means by "no realistic", doesn't make sense to me. But you be the judge, download the demo, and tune into one of the VORs around Seattle, it seems pretty realistic to me.

I had a look at the comments.  Wow, those guys are so defensive!  

I wouldn't pay attention to the comments below the video, I had a quick scan, and most of it is complete nonsense.

Of course X-Plane has realistic VOR/NDB/ILS, etc, whatever he means by "no realistic", doesn't make sense to me. But you be the judge, download the demo, and tune into one of the VORs around Seattle, it seems pretty realistic to me.

Maybe they talk about the range of the VOR's? Many of them are not realistic because the range is much too short. If you take the 727 for an old fashioned flight you know what I'm talking about...

Maybe they talk about the range of the VOR's?

Maybe, but I really couldn't carry on reading very far on that video due to the language and maturity of most of the comments, so I guess I'll never know what he meant :smile:

Regarding ranges, there is a setting in the navaids file that gives the range of a specific VOR/NDB. One thing I noticed in FSX/P3D is that sometimes you can't pick up the VOR whilst on the ground, and that you only get the signal above a certain altitude, which under certain circumstances is probably more realistic, e.g. because of terrain, buildings.  I've actually added a few VORs and submitted them to LR, and they are now in X-Plane by default, but in hindsight, I may have actually given them too high a range. I'm hoping with the recent news that Navigraph are now offering updates to the data, that they'll include more accurate ranges and correct frequencies.

However, If I'm honest, neither sim does this perfectly. There are so many factors than can effect the range of the signal that's its probably very difficult to simulate it accurately, but I've never had any issues in FSX and X-Plane, and both work just as well.

You might be right. I never checked the range settings but noticed it when flying. I always thought it is related to the way XP reads the scenery. Not a big issue anyway.