Sign in to follow this  
Humberside

Slow Climbs

hi,

I climb on VNAV in the NGX as they do in real life and to get to 35,000ft it takes 60-90mins, which is way off, as my flying instructor is a F.O for Thomson, and he says it 30mins to 35,000ft, how on VNAV can I sort out the speed of the climb

Thanks

Joe

Sorry for posting 3 times

90 min to 35000ft is an average V/S of less than 400ft/min, clearly not right. What IAS and V/S do you see on the PFD during the first part of the climb, say up to 18,000ft, and what is the N1 value? Does the FMA on the PDF indicate VNAV PTH or VNAV SPD?

Al

hi,

I climb on VNAV in the NGX as they do in real life and to get to 35,000ft it takes 60-90mins, which is way off, as my flying instructor is a F.O for Thomson, and he says it 30mins to 35,000ft, how on VNAV can I sort out the speed of the climb

Thanks

Joe

Sorry for posting 3 times

What NGX variant are you using?  The 700 has much better climb performance than th 800/900 models.  If your having this issue with the 700 then something is truly wrong but for the other models what are the weather conditions.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hi

to answer the questiions i am in a -800, i don't see any speed due to VNAV (the screen is empty) and i had 25000lbs of fuel (i think)it was LIMJ-EGKK

I can climb normally upto about 27000ft after that it slows down to 200ft per minute

How do you find O.A.T

Thanks

Joe

Yeah, it's likely OAT going screwy. Are you using a weather engine?  Recommended is ActiveSky 2012 or ASN.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi

to answer the questiions i am in a -800, i don't see any speed due to VNAV (the screen is empty) and i had 25000lbs of fuel (i think)it was LIMJ-EGKK

I can climb normally upto about 27000ft after that it slows down to 200ft per minute

How do you find O.A.T

Thanks

Joe

Depending on winds past 27,000ft all I can say is welcome to the -800/900 series.  Depending on wind conditions the -800/900 can be a slow climber.  I'm surprised so many airlines are kicking the 757 to the curb in favor of it.  You burn less fuel at cruise so the quicker you can get there the better (or at least on would think).

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>i don't see any speed due to VNAV (the screen is empty).

Can you expand on this statement? I don't understand several things in that one line: (1) don't see any speed at all? PDF? CDU? (2) due to VNAV what does that actually mean? (3) the screen is empty you mean the CDU screen? and by empty you mean completely blank? What CDU page are you on?

I think he means he's not seeing any speed in the speed window on the MCP. Which, of course, is correct in VNAV. He should be looking at the PFD and, in particular, the FMA at the top for what modes the AFDS is in and above the speed tape on the PFD for the current commanded speed.

I just climbed the NGX -800 to 35000 feet in 35 minutes with 141 pax, about 6000 lbs. cargo and about 22,000 lbs. fuel. So its not that the -800 is that much slower a climber than the -700. Maybe a little.

Dave

Dave Paige

I asked about the IAS to see if for some reason he was climbing at to high of a speed and thus with a pitch angle much less than normal for a climb.

Al

I am not using a weather engine, it is the default vatsim weather, I have the FMC'S on Legs and Progress page's and on my PFD its says speed is 260knots (between 360-500 TAS)

I am not using a weather engine, it is the default vatsim weather, I have the FMC'S on Legs and Progress page's and on my PFD its says speed is 260knots (between 360-500 TAS)

That's the problem then, it's a well documented problem of Outside Air Temp is not reported correctly for VATSIM with default weather.  The temp is way too high, thus affecting your aircraft's ability to climb. You can read this on your Engine Displays in the aircraft. 

You'll need to disable VATSIM weather or use a weather program (strongly recommend ActiveSky Next).  Google search for VATSIM OAT should provide addition info.

Note please, you should have VATSIM weather selected in Active Sky Next (ASN) if you pick that program up, as it will help keep your speeds the same as others flying on the network.  VATSIM weather without ASN is where the problem is.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have just done a flight in the 737-800 and when programing the fmc, I enter the ISA Dev at 40,000 (-65 degrees) and then I just to enter the OAT (19 degrees) and then it said invalid format, it had +20 In the OAT, so I left it. I took off, got to 23,000 and the v/s went down to 400-450 feet/minute, so I increased the A/T to max (A/T off) and turned V/S on at 1200 feet/minute, which is wrong practice.

What am I still doing wrong

Joe

Edit: which then decreases the speed