Sign in to follow this  
Hirdy2013

What's really going on with the FSX vs P3D Debates

I understand some people like to run their flight sims on SSDs which are naturally quite limited in capacity, but other than that I can't see any reason why anybody has to use just one sim - I currently have FS9, FSX, P3D2 and XP10 all installed and enjoy them all.

Bottom line is it's an individual preference - we all have different preferences and things that matter, and if P3D2 ticks more of your personal boxes than FSX then that's great.

My own personal preference is for FSX - I have it running pretty well and I have an absolute ton of addons for it that add tremendous amounts of content to it and aren't currently compatible or available for P3D2. What's more - again my own opinion - is that there just isn't enough improvements in P3D2 to drag me away from FSX for any real length of time.

Which brings me on to my next point - and that P3D2 is currently the "in thing" and expressing such an opinion that it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and having a preference for FSX seems to upset some people and rational discussion seems to be the first casualty in the crossfire.. Again that's nothing new for anyone who has been around this hobby for any length of time.... FS9 vs FSX.... MSFS vs XP.

As I said above, it's entirely up to the personal preference of the end user. Given the generous 60 day refund policy on P3D2, and the $10 cost of a developer license, there's not really much risk involved in at least trying it on for size. The only real significant barrier to entry is the requirement of a very powerful GPU to leverage the most out of the graphical improvements.

The only real significant barrier to entry is the requirement of a very powerful GPU to leverage the most out of the graphical improvements.

Honestly. my GTX570 is doing just fine with P3D 2.2.

For myself I found that rather than limiting the range that clouds are drawn I get better performace from pushing that slider full right.

My thoughts are that it stops the code constantly checking draw distance , angles ect

Wait  till you add more addons  and scenery and pay ware aircraft 

I am running the Captain Sim L-1011, the Majestic Q400, and full Orbx regions and am not even coming close to an OOM.  Have not even made it over 3gb of memory used and that is with sliders up quite high.

I would imagine that the authors of complex aircraft that will be made to be used in P3D will optimize their products to work well in the new tech that is available in P3D, otherwise, very few people will be willing to pay for their products.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Well I bit the bullet and purchased P3D yesterday. I love FSX but what swayed me is the fact that P3D is in continuous development whereas FSX (as a standalone product) is technically obsolete.

I also love the terrain cloud shading and improved autogen in P3D. I don't fly anything PMDG so that won't be an issue.

Unfortunately right now I can't install P3D as the installer demands that it extracts the 12GB (!) of cab files to your OS drive whether you install the main program elsewhere or not. But - this is an excellent excuse to scrub the OS on this PC, reinstall Win 7 64 Pro and start afresh with a bigger SSD!

So be warned - you need AT LEAST 12GB of free space on your OS Drive before you can install P3D. Once it's installed you can move the extracted cab files from the OS drive to somewhere else apparently.

Hopefully my GTX650 graphics card will be able to cope with any extra load. I'll be putting FSX back on the PC just in case I encounter any addon compatibility issues with P3D.

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hopefully my GTX650 graphics card will be able to cope with any extra load

It will

I have P3Dv2, I'm a scenery guy who likes to fly GA. I'm still using FSX. The only reason is that there are just so many more addons for FSX. I got fed up of trying addons in P3D and finding certain switch sounds didn't work, or certain features didn't work as expected, or you had to tweak something as a work around. I just want things to work, and I'm an IT technician so it's not like this stuff scares me, I just CBF!

Vanilla + P3Dv2 compatible addons is fine, but a lot of the addons I have are not P3Dv2 compatible (officially) so I went back to FSX just for ease of use really.

However, I would switch back again once my ORBX scenery has a P3Dv2 installer, and if v2.3 offers some serious performance improvements. Until then it just doesn't feel like it's worth another, who knows how many hours of my time.

Honestly. my GTX570 is doing just fine with P3D 2.2.

What about shadows ? Does that hammer your card ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Wait  till you add more addons  and scenery and pay ware aircraft 

I've been adding quite a bit of stuff...and my aircraft...and no O.O.M's to date. Crossing m fingers that that continues...

This topic is getting old.

Use what you like. Period.

True statement...succinct...BUT..that is in a world with nobody injecting passion in whatever they do...so....debates will rage, ...popcorn will be consumed..and hopefully, people can get their viewpoint and passion in...without the need to denigrate another's.... 

Besides...it's good for popcorn manufacturers, and THEY certainly wouldn't want to see all forms of these threads locked up, smart and quick! Neither would I, frankly. 

What about shadows ? Does that hammer your card ?

That will impact your FPS, no lie. Having said that though...with your card, I feel you can start HIGH...and then see what shadow and sub-menus features of same Shadow you can get away with..and still achieve around 15-22 (higher obviously is better...) FPS in P3D. If you can, then your card can give you animation that will surprise you, frankly.  You will be able to fly, and take-off/land with even 15 FPS...  I'd jump in...see what your card can do...and if you need more G-horsepower...start stuffing the cookie jar for that future purchase....  Start with Shadow EVERYTHING rammed up and on....see where you are in FPS...and then start easing off the settings and Shadow features, until your system will give you the highest level of Shadow and sub-menu...and no less than a stable 15 FPS or up.

I've been adding quite a bit of stuff...and my aircraft...and no O.O.M's to date. Crossing m fingers that that continues...

True statement...succinct...BUT..that is in a world with nobody injecting passion in whatever they do...so....debates will rage, ...popcorn will be consumed..and hopefully, people can get their viewpoint and passion in...without the need to denigrate another's.... 

Besides...it's good for popcorn manufacturers, and THEY certainly wouldn't want to see all forms of these threads locked up, smart and quick! Neither would I, frankly. 

That will impact your FPS, no lie. Having said that though...with your card, I feel you can start HIGH...and then see what shadow and sub-menus features of same Shadow you can get away with..and still achieve around 15-22 (higher obviously is better...) FPS in P3D. If you can, then your card can give you animation that will surprise you, frankly.  You will be able to fly, and take-off/land with even 15 FPS...  I'd jump in...see what your card can do...and if you need more G-horsepower...start stuffing the cookie jar for that future purchase....  Start with Shadow EVERYTHING rammed up and on....see where you are in FPS...and then start easing off the settings and Shadow features, until your system will give you the highest level of Shadow and sub-menu...and no less than a stable 15 FPS or up.

Thanks Mitch.Lot of useful info. Much appreciated.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

What forum is this?

How about taking the P3D technical discussions back to where they belong.

Thanks.

Feel free to contribute.........

Hirdy

I installed P3D 2.0 4 months ago or so.   Despite having an excellent FSX install, enjoying the heck out of the T7 for a while, once I became accustomed to the visual improvements in V2.0 on up to 2.1 I just never went back to FSX.  I think I maybe loaded 4 or 5 flights over the first month or so, then after 3 more months of never launching FSX, I removed it from my SSD.   P3D V2.1 sets such a superior standard for image quality & smoothness there is just no going back.   Ultimately I think it falls in the domain of V2.21 being more immersive, and I guess more realistic appearing.  It would have to be to get folks away from success in FSX, and as you note quite a few do end up leaving FSX despite having less add on software to rely on.   No regrets here P3D just keeps improving w/ every release.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What forum is this?

How about taking the P3D technical discussions back to where they belong.

Thanks.

Move on to next topic if you don't like it perhaps?

Lots of good info here for ALL that care to read it ........... FSX only users included!

However, I would switch back again once my ORBX scenery has a P3Dv2 installer

Much of the Orbx scenery does have a P3D installer. In fact, just today the EU Scotland and Whales just got a P3D installer, so FTX Global, Norther Cali, Pacific NW, Central Rocky Mountains, Northern Rocky Mountains, Southern Alaska, Pacific Fjords, Australia, a bunch of airports, and other stuff I am sure I am missing is P3D compatible now.  And wow, does it ever look immersive.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Much of the Orbx scenery does have a P3D installer. In fact, just today the EU Scotland and Whales just got a P3D installer, so FTX Global, Norther Cali, Pacific NW, Central Rocky Mountains, Northern Rocky Mountains, Southern Alaska, Pacific Fjords, Australia, a bunch of airports, and other stuff I am sure I am missing is P3D compatible now.  And wow, does it ever look immersive.

Yup, I watch their thread with much anticipation. I fly in New Zealand though, and those are yet to be converted. Looking forward to the new night lights it will introduce too.