Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

17 FPS...and that's P3D-good by me!

I can't EVER go back.. No sir!  I have been swallowed by the 'Dark Side'....

I have everything max'ed out in this sim...everything that can be highlighted, clicked, massaged, and bribed, turned onto  its highest setting.

I can never see this sim  from this morning on, rendered at anything than less of what's on the screen.  Sheer...amazing...virtual flight reality.

To get this...I am sitting at a pretty steady 17 FPS...and there is a little micro-stutter....no worse than EVER was using FSX. About the same...and that is most livable.  I have never seen anything of the like...on this flight towards Toronto City Centre.  The ground below...is, well...real.  Simply...real.  The HDR and scatter, with shadows upon the terrain, is the most real depiction I have ever seen.  SOLD! The clouds?  Wow.....  Shadows moving and playing in real time upon the airframe, inside and out?...Wow.....

I am content to run this sim at 17 FPS...to see it fully cranked out....and if you also can...what a payback Folks...what a visual, user payback...

I might see what USE Pools==0  can do in the .cfg file, as in FSX.  If nothing...than that's that...but I'll add that into the .cfg on my next flight this morning.

So...my new P3D motto...:

"17 and go..........................>"

Post Edit: The fog is incredible as I see it from above...and even looks cold!   Lockheed Martin....THANK YOU!

Having fun...can you tell?!?

P3D Mitch

One final comment (I can't promise, lol..but..will try...):

A question..."What is the difference between running Orbx's Global scenery base with either FSX, or P3D?"

The answer;

If you run it with P3D, P3D makes it look.....real!   It gives Global the Frankenstein Effect,...P3D flips down the electricity switch... and brings it to life... I realize now, that Global didn't have 'life' until seeing it within a full-blown P3D flight....the ground just absolutely looks beyond convincingly; real.

Cheers!

[bufferPools]
UsePools=0

This absolutely works in the same way as in FSX. It smooths things out...and got rid of the microstutter...and gave me 3 FPS back!

So..I'm now running the sim full out with 20 FPS.  Good deal!

So...here is what I have at the top end of my .cfg file...before the [Display] header:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=242
[bufferPools]
UsePools=0

If you want to see how much of an effect that using the FSX tweak of Buffer Pools does also for P3D...just place it in your .cfg file...take the Raptor out at 400-500kts just off the deck..and see how smooth and life-like does the terrain and auto-gen (no popping!!!) fly past your head......

The above combination for a HyperThreaded CPU...is gold.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=242

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

...gave me smooth and controlled animation for landing, right down to 10 FPS.  I brought the Raptor down into KSAN at 10-13 FPS...and was still smooth and predictable, at Dawn.

It's great to see you're having fun.

What's great to know is that LM is now moving beyond additions and moving into optimization and performance tweaks to the engine.

As PC hardware gets faster, and Prepar3d becomes more optimized, life will only get better.

Clear skies ahead!

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I've been feeling exactly the same for many months Mitch. I lock at 20 and never check the fps again. Took a flight in the Orbx SAK area and the shadows and lightfall were spectacular. I took a lot of flak for a while with folks stating that 20fps was awful and couldn't look good, etc. I just keep flying around with a huge grin on my face.

Glad you are having fun!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guys? I wonder if you can help me. I have FSX 1.0 literally out of the box and I was wondering if I can upgrade textures which I assume that is what you are talking about?

Can you give a new guy some advice? I am running at 1900 full HD on a 32" monitor and, well, I would love it to look better!!

Guys? I wonder if you can help me. I have FSX 1.0 literally out of the box and I was wondering if I can upgrade textures which I assume that is what you are talking about?

Can you give a new guy some advice? I am running at 1900 full HD on a 32" monitor and, well, I would love it to look better!!

He's actually referring to Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d v2 that is available here: http://www.prepar3d.com

If you want referrals for ground textures, I'd post in the MS FSX forum here: http://forum.avsim.net/forum/121-ms-fsx-forum/

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

No. He gave me the answer I was looking for which refers to FSX and that is ORBx which I now which to thank him for.

Cheers man, looking at it now.

I've been feeling exactly the same for many months Mitch. I lock at 20 and never check the fps again. Took a flight in the Orbx SAK area and the shadows and lightfall were spectacular. I took a lot of flak for a while with folks stating that 20fps was awful and couldn't look good, etc. I just keep flying around with a huge grin on my face.

Glad you are having fun!

Vic

High '5', Vic!   Yeppers...I have proven to myself that with the two tweaks as above, I can have the sim running as low as 10 FPS...and still have smooth (no other sim could....) animation and control.  If there is a micro-stutter at that low FPS, it doesn't seem to be bothering me, to have it picked up by the grey matter.  At 17 FPS, I can skim the trees and take off wigs...with no chunk, or micro.  I am so sold on this sim.....and am SO glad that I reconsidered entering the fray at 32 bits.  I had a day or so of 'hiccups'...figuring out how to sort this 'n that...but yesterday morning, it all came together, and the head-shaking 'wow' factor seems to be permanent. :)   Like you...my P3D-Grin takes up 80 percent of my face real-estate. I am most looking forward to the next Vx.x's from LM.  Of course, I hope to be wow'zered by XPX.30 when it shows its face. I still fly all four sims now resident on my H.D....,  but  it would be a lie if the other three were not sort of getting jealous at the new kid on the block....  :)

Cheers!

It's great to see you're having fun.

What's great to know is that LM is now moving beyond additions and moving into optimization and performance tweaks to the engine.

As PC hardware gets faster, and Prepar3d becomes more optimized, life will only get better.

Clear skies ahead!

Thanks for that!  I am having an unapologetic BLAST with P3D.  In retrospect, I was a sheer idiot not to have dived in upon v2.0 release, and have gotten up to speed. Everybody was saying that this was FSX 'Next Generation'.  You know...and yes, intellectually, I know that it is derived off of the FSX core, etc...but...it has taken the hobby...way, way past what its 'cousin' did.  If somebody asked me for a 10,000 word or less response, as to the true and primary difference between P3D and FSX...I'd have to cringe at being restricted to only 10,000 words or less,,,but would come back with....it gives you the closest thing yet, in the home environment visually, to place you in a plane, and then place that plane in 3D atmospherics that translate a 'feel'...to the sky, air, wind, coldness, heat....it wraps all up with the world 'mouth-feel'.....and I think that everybody knows what I am trying to communicate.  FSX gave you all of that, but less the 'feeling' in your core that you are flying over the world, but P3D delivers that dream....a' la' Disneyland Goodness.  

May I be a kid at heart forever, 'cause I still love Goofy and the Gang.....and P3D is like entering the Magic Kingdom, every time I press 'amaze me further'.... :)

P3D Mitch 

P3D with framerates in the low twenties for me runs in a very smooth manner.  I am loving it too.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations