Sign in to follow this  
adi518

Welcome everyone!

So... many SweetFX threads have been opened lately, it was about time for it to get it's own forum, I guess. :)

This is for anyone new...

If you have been scorching the web for the terms 'FSX' and/or 'P3D' with the word 'sweetfx' and/or 'inspector settings', then I'm glad to say: You made it! this is the one and most reliable and consolidated source of information for how to make the freeware plugin called SweetFX work correctly with our flight simulators. However, it's not only SweetFX, but how to properly setup your Nvidia Inspector settings as well. There are LOTS of internet pages with different suggestions, which many of them do not make any sense whatsoever. I've set my goal to fix that. :)

In case you're wondering what is SweetFX? then, the explanation is pretty simple. SweetFX is an auto-initiating plugin that virtually works on any game. What it does is, creating an overlay, or a filter if you want, that allows you to manipulate the image presented. By default, regular 3d rendering is affected with a little blurriness. For simulator use, it's becoming especially critical when you need a clear view on those gauges. That's where SweetFX helps! using this plugin we can assign a sharpening factor which then counters the default rendering blurriness. Of course it doesn't end there. SweetFX is a very powerful tool and with a touch of creativity, can achieve some pretty amazing stuff!

So without further ado, hop in to SimTweak.com and read all about it. SimTweak is a dedicated page I setup especially for this. I decided not to use the forum post editor for this, because it's a lot of information to put in and bugs and small jitters are messing it up each time I need to put in an edit or update it.

As for support, please run a search prior to submitting a new support thread, most likely your inquiry was already asked/answered. It's also important to point out I'm NOT the author of this great tool. The author is a person called CeeJay, who resides mostly in the general SweetFX support thread over @ guru3d.com.

-Adi

• Upvote 5

Very nice, thank you.

I'm in the process of reinstalling my sim into new hardware, so look forward to trying your setup when I'm past the installing stage!

Nice work, thanks Adi.

\Robert Hamlich/

Very nice Adi. I have never used sweetfx, so I may just have to give it a try :)

Great. I thought of this today and decided to get a domain and put up a page where I can edit all the information more comfortably. Unfortunately, the editor on all of these forums is bugged and it's making my life hard. I waste too much time on countless editing. So I'm gonna put up this page, which hopefully puts things together nicely and I think I'm most likely to use Avsim for the official support thread. I will link everyone from REX and Orbx to here.

So check it out soon @ simtweak.com, a no-brainer for 2$. ;)

Hi Adi,

Well I am glad to say that I am back using SFX once again thanks to you.  The only thing I would recommend is to change nVidia Inspector's Vertical Sync setting to 1/2 Refresh Rate otherwise people will experience screen tearing.  Just a thought.   

\Robert Hamlich/

I decided to leave that one out. Personally, I didn't have success with 1/2 refresh rate. Anyone who wants it, can easily add it. I will add a note. Thanks.

Hey Adi

I've just gone through a big hardware change and as such have re-installed everything, and set up for DX10 then used your recommended NI profile and SweetFX settings, and my sim looks great, so a big thanks to you.

However I do have one nagging issue, which is like a kind of tearing of the screen. Really hard to describe but it's like you get horizontal bands every now and again across the screen that cause an unpleasant visual effect. Do you know what causes this?

I have tried adding the 1/2 refresh rate but no luck with or without it.

Thanks!

If you have any fps limiters, try to disable them. Including inside P3D. Start fresh with the fps set to unlimited. I think 1/2 vsync should fix that tearing problem.

I want to send out a general note in this regard... v-sync free monitors are going to come out soon and solve this problem with tearing once it goes mainstream. You may experience low fps, but no tearing. :)

Nice work thanks for sharing.

Adi, what if I need 8x AA? What settings should I change?

Thanks,

Zicheng Cai

You will notice 0 improvement over 4x. Which dx? 9 or 10? or p3d?

I ask everyone to supply this info in your post. DX version you refer to. FSX or P3D and which WINDOWS version you're running.

I can't believe, but I'm a witness of 15% better FPS after applying your settings Adi! Huge thanks mate! Even smoother flight with DX10 and the Fixer, extremely smooth framerate with the NGX on final at 35fps, I thought it was much higher.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm going to turn this to the official support thread. I'm putting up the site now.

Pe11e, I don't know what you had  before, but if you have a similar rig to mine, then you should have good fps with these settings.

Btw, anyone until LM moves some AA flags out of the clouds, you may experience some stutters when there's heavy clouds. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.