Sign in to follow this  
gsumner

My cockpit view noses down with W key

Hi Guys,

Just now I'm using opus only for dynamic head movements as I'm not ready to use live cameras and using another weather program ( sorry ). My normally used view is cockpit view but I hide the panel so I view the outside world full screen which fits nicely behind my desktop hardware glare shield  etc.

So . . .looking left and right without my panel loaded looks like everything is lined up properly. Now when I load up opus . . . .my front view seems to nod down 15 degrees or more so now left and right don't look good with the forward view. I can reset the forward view by cycling through the views but loking left or right and returning to fwd view nods down 15 degrees again. . . .strange.

Is there any way to prevent this happening as I just want camera shake with taxiing etc and no view alterations.

Many thanks

Graham

Seeing as you are not using Live Camera, the General DHM will just nod the view about its default position. Software cannot read or determine the current eye point position, that is not possible through SimConnect or any other method. To have full and correct control over the view you will have to use Live Camera, or only use standard default view positions. So the only real answer is to use the Live Camera interface to create your VC camera view, that way the camera's DHM will know where the relocated eye point is supposed to be.

Stephen

My view is the standard view position. The only thing I do Stephen is hide the panel. It hasn't always done this. Ive been using it for years.

Has anything changed in the last few updates.

Thanks

Graham

As I said, the software has absolutely no knowledge of where the view eye point is, that is impossible, so it just adjusts about the centre axes. By removing the panel this sim may have adjusted the zero axis for the view. So its nothing to do with version changes. The General DHM has not changed at all. It simply has no knowledge of your eye point and adjusts the eye point about the zero axis position. This appears to have been changed when the panel is removed. The only way you can set the camera eye point about which DHM will work is to stop using General DHM and enable the Live Camera interface. Then create a single default VC view for your aircraft and enable DHM for that view.

So its impossible that any change in software could have any affect on this or anything to do with it. However, the General DHM hasn't changed in about a year. In all cases though General DHM, since it doesn't have a camera view defined, simply adjusts about the zero axis position.

As you say ... The only thing that has changed is you have hidden the panel.

This has clearly and obviously changed the view axis for the VC.

Nothing to do with the General DHM software which cannot even determine where the eye is pointing.

Best to use Live Camera and be in control of everything yourself.

Stephen

Its confusing you keep mentioning VC. That stands for virtual cockpit. Im not using the virtual cockpit view. Its just the standard cockpit view without the panel ( press w ). Lets not cloud the issue by saying Ive removed the panel because it even nods everything down with the panel showing. Its nothing to do with virtual cockpit view or removing the panel.

Opus has never, ever nodded my views down before when Ive started it up.

Graham

Nothing has changed in the software. So I assume you are using General DHM with 2D view enabled which must then adjust about the PBY axes.

Try it with the 2D panel NOT removed .. If you want to get rid of the panel then do as the manual says and set the panel transparency to 100%.

Stephen

The W key command cycles the 2D panels doesn't it. So using it may simply be setting the new axis to point downward ... DHM simply adjusts about this 'new' axis.

Just set the 2D panel transparency to 100% ... Without cycling anything and everything should be OK.

As I have said, General DHM does not move the axis down it just adjusts about wherever the axes point.

Stephen

{Nothing has changed in the software. So I assume you are using General DHM with 2D view enabled which must then adjust about the PBY axes.}

Theres no need to assume im using the 2D view because Ive been saying that since the first post.

{ Try it with the 2D panel NOT removed }

If you read my last post Ive said Stephen that it nods my whole cockpit down even with the panel there.

{Just set the 2D panel transparency to 100%}

But I want to press "w" sometimes to see the panel

{As I have said, General DHM does not move the axis down}

But it is Stephen . . . . . . . thats why were having this conversation :-)

Graham

Whatever view ... Its either a VC view or a 2D cockpit view there is no other option.

Please ... General DHM adjust about the current axes that are in use within the sim.

It has absolutely NO knowledge of where that axis is, it just adjusts the eye point.

If you want the software to know what the view mode is and where the eye point is and adjust around that then you MUST enable Live Camera, create the camera view (whatever the cockpit view mode is), then enable DHM for that camera.

This must be done because it is impossible to determine where any axis is, it is impossible to determine where the current eye point is. So General DHM is totally unaware of any changes you do to the view using W key commands or whatever other simulator commands.

Enable Live Camera, create you known Camera view, enable DHM and let it adjust about a known eye point position.

It is impossible for the software to know about any adjustments you make to the views within the simulator. There is no provision to obtain this data. Hence, you must use Live Camera so a 'known' eye point position can be used. If its in VC view mode then DHM will adjust about XYZ, if its in 2D cockpit view mode then DHM will mostly adjust the PBY.

When you use the W key (or any other view command within the sim) General DHM has no knowledge of this.

Stephen :-)

I should also point out ... It is not possible to alter any view axis within the software.

All General DHM can do is adjust about the current (whatever it is and wherever it points) the current axis in use within the sim.

So General DHM cannot alter the axis.

You should really be using Live Camera, its the only way as then the software can move the eye point to a known position and DHM can adjust the view about that eye point. Of course it does coordinate the LCC eye point adjustment (you should have this disabled if you are not using Live Camera).

Stephen

Sorry, I thought you were saying this happens after pressing the W key.

If this has happened after an upgrade then check your configuration in Opus and make sure Live Camera, Live Camera View, and anything else for that matter is enabled or disabled as it should be. You may have LCC enabled or something, or even LC without realising it.

Also check the General DHM settings, make sure AHM isn't kicking in and moving your eye point automatically as a result of corrupt settings. In other words, open the Configure dialog and check everything is as it should be. Then open the General DHM options you are using and do the same. Disable AHM in the General DHM dialogs just in case that is causing the head movement. You can always click on the Defaults key to set all default AHM settings as well as disable AHM.

That should sort it out.

Once again though, General DHM simply adjusts about the 000 000 axes positions. Nothing else will come into effect unless it is configured to do so. Have you checked the Configure dialog as advised after any upgrade.

AHM is the most likely cause which should be obvious by examining your Configure and General DHM settings.

Stephen

Please check your Configure dialog settings including your General DHM settings and let me know if all is as they should be. Turn the AHM option OFF though to make sure you do not get any automated head movements based on rudder pedal movement etc.

Stephen

Only AHM, LCC, and possibly TrackIR can affect the eye point as they are all coordinated with DHM.

AHM (Automatic Head Movement) will follow the settings in the General DHM's AHM dialog. Hence the request to check this and disable the AHM option.

LCC can adjust the camera's eye point and add offsets but these have to be commanded. The shortcut commands are displayed in the Shortcuts dialog. Hence the request for you to make sure LCC is disabled.

TrackIR should of course also be disabled even if its just to rule it out.

Stephen

Am I going mad or has the title of this thread changed . I can't remember putting anything about a W key in it ?

As I said I thought you were reporting the view change in response to a W key command.

Have you checked your Configuration settings after the upgrade and DHM/AHM settings?

Stephen

They are all fine Stephen. I'm away for a few days then I'm going to do a complete re install to see what happens. Ill post back here then. Thanks Graham

We have just powered up a system here and installed the latest OpusFSX release version, set the system up with no LWE, no LC, no LCC, and General DHM enabled for VC views with all defaults set in the DHM and AHM dialogs. We found no errors here, everything behaves as it should. I will check again and try a few other things.

We have not received any posts reporting any problems with General DHM either.

If its not your Configure settings or General DHM settings and a corrupt AHM operation then you may have to determine if it is your views axis that has shifted.

Stephen

I have done some more checks here and it is still most likely your W keyboard simulator command that is most likely.

This command, W = Panel, Next View

Will shift the view axis and move the outside view up the screen !

It may also depend on the aircraft panels.

This is nothing more than the result of using the W keyboard command. Press it once and you get the usual instruments along the bottom of the screen with a full outside view. Press it a second time and it will 'shift' the outside view up the screen.

This is NOT OpusFSX doing this, it has nothing to do with OpusFSX or General DHM, it nothing more than normal FSX operation.

Stephen

You should check your W key usage with your selected aircraft. If AHM isn't modifying the view then the 000 000 axes must have shifted somehow. My view on the Lancair will shift with a second press of the W key.

As I said, I can do nothing about that. The General DHM knows not of any such 'in sim' changes to the views axes.

I would still advise using LC to take control of your views and not rely on the W key and FSX behaviour. Still double check your DHM configuration though just in case some sort of unwanted AHM movement isn't being selected.

Stephen