Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

northwest freezing rain rain and ice...

For those curious about what a flight board looks like during an ice storm check it out. This is current, so depending on when your looking at it, it may not seem to bad.When I checked it, over 85% of the flights were cancelledThis is for Portland Oregon. Those who live on the upper East Coast may look at this and give a bit of a snicker :-)Around here this occurs about once every three years or so.http://www.flypdx.com/web_pop/flights_search.aspPS: folks from Canada may look at this and thinks its summertime.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Now, that's something interesting!Looks like an ad for Horizon Air :-) . Their flights seem to be the only ones, which are all on time (at least when I checked it at 11:25 GMT.Wolfgang

Guest tgabriel

I know for yawl out there in the wild west the last couple of days have been a trial. I saw on the NOAA weather the news about the heavy duty storm in the entire Pacific Northwest. Large snowfalls in the Cascades...My home town, Boise, Idaho got 6" yesterday - more than the entire year of 2k3!!!Not good flying weather for sure, but good for easing the drought. Hopefully there is a lot more coming for you folks. I know you can certainly use it, especially inland.Ironically, today here in Raleigh, NC, we are getting "flurries" of up to 3 inches. Not too shut down yet but the roads will get slick if it keeps up.Thanks for the info and keep a log on the fire:-lol or, if you have any sense at all, head on up to Mount Hood Meadows or over to Bachelor for some real fun!!:-lol :-lol :-jumpy

Wolfgang:>>Looks like an ad for Horizon Air . Their flights seem to be the >>only ones, which are all on time (at least when I checked it at >>11:25 GMT.Appearances can be deceptive :-(I was scheduled to fly Alaska Airlines (Horizons parent company) out of SeaTac at 1910 on Tuesday night. As of 1830 the were still saying the flight would be on time, even though the TV news was talking about "major delays" at the airport. Other airlines flights were on the departure board showing 3- 4 hour delays, but Alaska's were all showing on-time or short delays. Well, from 1845 till 0015 they kept telling us "Another 20 minutes", "Another 30 minutes" until we finally got away. The delays were waiting for de-icing equipment to come to the plane. There was a Southwest Airlines flight at the next gate which had a 1900 scheduled departure, which had been showing 2300 all along, and changed to 2400 around 2200. It really irritated me - one of the relief stewardesses who came to work the flight actually admitted to me during the flight that when her dispatch called her at home at 1800 to come in and work due to delays he told her at that time not to expect to depart before 2300 - but they were still telling passengers "on-time".Richard

Guest cw1011

Well, I've lived in Toronto, London Ontario and now Portland OR. I can say that regardless of where you live, freezing rain and ice storms are wildly disruptive events. Keeping up with freezing roadways and runways is no picnic. I think we did as well as any community that does not experience this weather often. In fact, I would give the city good marks. Most people heeded warnings to stay off the roads if they didn't really need to go anywhere. I don't think we had any major accidents (apart from the usual fender benders) or fatalities due to the weather.

Guest cw1011

Well, I've lived in Toronto, London Ontario and now Portland OR. I can say that regardless of where you live, freezing rain and ice storms are wildly disruptive events. Keeping up with freezing roadways and runways is no picnic. I think we did as well as any community that does not experience this weather often. In fact, I would give the city good marks. Most people heeded warnings to stay off the roads if they didn't really need to go anywhere. I don't think we had any major accidents (apart from the usual fender benders) or fatalities due to the weather.