Sign in to follow this  
gheeD

Oculus Rift getting one step closer to application in simulators?

So I just saw this piece of news on a tech site and instantly though of the uses it would possibly have in simulation environment, AKA one of the complaints i saw here about oculus rift is how you don't see your own hands and it wouldn't probably work too well due to that. 

But what about this?

Think of the possibilities in a flight simulation environment: See yourself sitting in the cockpit of a plane and reaching out for the buttons and interacting with them. This could possibly make such simulations entirely possible I think, granted you could program the simulator to recognize your arms from the camera and when they are close enough to the knobs turn them etc.

Looks pretty amazing don't ya think? :smile:

Pretty amazing technologies emerging, but I will be dead and gone I think before it  really becomes a virtual reality. 

Bob

I think this technology is a real "game changer" as far as simulation and gaming in general is concerned. The H/W version in this video is probably a development Oculus Rift (one available to developers only), not what will be released either end of 2014 or in 2015, or at least based on what I have read to date.

But I expect version 2 or of 3 of Oculus Rift vintage will be the one that will drive demand.

I'm an old guy, and I expect to see this product in my sim room before I "Croak!"

Bill Clark 

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I think this technology is a real "game changer" as far as simulation and gaming in general is concerned. The H/W version in this video is probably a development Oculus Rift (one available to developers only), not what will be released either end of 2014 or in 2015, or at least based on what I have read to date.

But I expect version 2 or of 3 of Oculus Rift vintage will be the one that will drive demand.

I'm an old guy, and I expect to see this product in my sim room before I "Croak!"

Bill Clark 

Well Bill, I am not getting any younger either and I do hope the same. I wonder if you will be able to tweak it?  :huh:

Bob

Well, we better hope there is no Oculus.cfg file, similar to the FSX.cfg file, otherwise I would have to slit my Joystick wrist if there was one more thing I have to tweak!!

There is no other hobby like flight simming.............

Bill

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

And the headlines read:

Man slits his own wrist. Family and neighbors have stated the police and rescue crews had been dispatched several times in the past few weeks to his residence, as they had heard Mr. Clark screaming violently. Chief O'Brien of the Escondido Police department stated that Mr. Clark was an avid flight simmer, and apparently has had frequent panic attacks in the past weeks when his new Occulus hardware used with his sim "game", as it was not functioning properly Mr. Clark stated. Mr. Clark was forced to engage in a less frustrating game called P3D.

:lol:

Actually, the family is planning a massive Intervention, I will probably be forced into AVSIM's Detox program to help me thru the withdrawal phase of tweaking, flying, and spending way too many hours on the forums. They are hiring a couple of bouncers from the Rancho Bernardo Hooters Restaurant to physically subdue me if necessary.

Also, SDG&E, our local power company is planning to upgrade the neighborhood power transformers in anticipation of the Oculus Rift device. I could cut my electricity bill in half if I just gave my overclocked PC.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Bill, I am so pleased that you have stood up and admitted your addiction, not only for you of course, but your family. This is an extreme piece of good news, and just in time for the release of this highly anticipated piece of new hardware.

I wish there were more like you my friend.

Also, the load upgrade for the neighborhood is awesome.

Regards

Bob