Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

Want to start playing online, what do I need?

Or go to https://www.ivao.aero/hq/ for the IVAO network.

However, the  IVAO software is a bit tricky to install in P3D2 as compared to the new vPilot of VATSIM but therefore IMHO a bit more comfortable once installed.

I fly on both networks, each have their pro and cons.

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

VATSIM is not the place to start flying online.  Years ago I tried and some 12 year old kid from Ireland started shitting on me when I started flying VFR without speaking to him. Funny, IRL this is normally the case. You are much better off with FSHost: http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/

Some are free fly and some have designated hop lists.  Some use Teamspeak whereas most don't.  Some are English whereas some are Portugese (Brazil pilots) and German.

Regards C-N716

VATSIM is not the place to start flying online.  Years ago I tried and some 12 year old kid from Ireland started shitting on me when I started flying VFR without speaking to him. Funny, IRL this is normally the case. You are much better off with FSHost: http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/

Some are free fly and some have designated hop lists.  Some use Teamspeak whereas most don't.  Some are English whereas some are Portugese (Brazil pilots) and German.

Regards C-N716

This is like telling someone to never learn how to drive a car because years ago I was driving and had "some idiot run me off the road"  :Nail Biting:

If you are willing to take the time to learn how to fly online (this CANNOT be done overnight), you will be rewarded greatly with the most enhanced flight sim experiences to be had .  No matter which NETWORK you choose, you owe it to yourself to try .  There are dozens of Virtual Airlines out there ready and willing to help you get thru the rough parts.  GOOD LUCK !!  :good:

WAT1460.png

I only fly GA airplanes, no airliners, do not want something too complicated to start , I do know the procedures, Im a real pilot and flying often.

Dont want an unrealistic treatment by a kid who thinks he is tough and  powerfull being a virtual controller  though :)

Yeah, impossible to tell but I'm betting the VATSIM hater departed from a Class B, in which case the 12 year old was right. One may not like a 12 year correcting you, and hey, if they're right we have to choke it down.  Better just to laugh about it.

One flies in controlled airspace and you'll hear real controllers make mistakes here and there, and you'll hear and see pilots make mistakes all day long.  That IS realistic, so long as human's are involved.

I think it depends on just what your goal is for flying online, because there are many different types of networks.

If you want realism based Air Traffic Control, then VATSIM is the only real choice. Been years since I've witnessed or even heard an unkind or power hungry controller, and I average about 10 to 15 hours per week on the network.

If you're looking for people to fly with, then I too would recommend Digital Theme Park. Nice people over there, though the last time I visited was a few years ago.

Doesn't matter what it is, when there are other people involved we're bound to have something occur that rubs us the wrong way. Not expecting that is, well, unrealistic?

The guys on VATSIM are really incredible, and I'm grateful to them for the time they give to provide me with a realism based environment to fly. The time and effort it takes to get ATC qualified on that network rates anyone's respect.

To end this, I'll just say that anyone who doesn't give VATSIM a go, is really missing out.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I only fly GA airplanes, no airliners, do not want something too complicated to start , I do know the procedures, Im a real pilot and flying often.

Dont want an unrealistic treatment by a kid who thinks he is tough and  powerfull being a virtual controller  though :)

Try DTP - you will find other GA pilots, real and virtual  (including myself..)

Bert

For GA, I would recommend Vatsim still. Sounds like you have one bad experience and I am sorry for that, but don't give up on it.

As for the OP, Vatsim and that link they gave you will help a lot. They have tutorials you can read through showing the basic pattern, and VFR flight. They even have tests online with live people you can take if you want, though it is not mandatory.

I would recommend downloading VatSpy, find an airport that is staffed by someone, jump on, and give it a go. The magic words, "I am new", go a long way, and they will work with you. I usually fly GA FL and the controllers there are top notch. Always helpful, and I have even had them come online just for me to practice and mess about.

Vatsim is a great tool for tubeliners or little GA planes, you can do as you feel. Just make sure you have the basics which that link to their Pilot section will get you going fast.

I am only an online flyer, so ask any questions you have, as I have been with Vatsim for years.

Another option is the Boston Virtual ATC community. You won't find a nicer or more professional group of enthusiasts anywhere. Although not exclusively focused on GA, about half of the members routinely fly single and twin props. The rest fly regional jets and heavy metal.There are frequent events (sometimes up to 3 per week) which will often see 20-30 pilots in action. These vary from regional circuits to fly-ins between major airports (e.g. KPHX/KLAS/KSAN, KBOS/KJFK/KBDL) and Challenge events such as flying well-known complex approaches. All events are fully supported by BVA staff who undergo rigorous training courses and supervised online internships. These guys are top-notch.

The online atmosphere is friendly and supportive. Besides organized events, you can hop online anytime and fly solo or organize a spontaneous group flight, BVA also has an extensive completely voluntary training and exam system geared toward helping pilots identify and work on gaps in knowledge and skills. There are teamspeak channels for pilots (whether flying or not) to answer questions and generally help one another with skills-building.  I can't speak for compatibility with P3D, but if you're using FSX you connect through the built-in Multiplayer function and also run a BVA-specific application which handles your flightplan, tracks all pilots on a moving map and allows you to see who else is online. As with most online communities, registration is required, but painless.

I don't hang at BVA much anymore since my interest lately has changed to long-haul cargo flights. But if you're looking to put a toe in the water of online flying, you won't do better than spending some time with the great group of people at Boston Virtual ATC.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

IRONY, IRONY, HUMOR !!!!!!

If you want to "play" online, you have discquafied yourself as a P3D user!!!!! P3D is NOT a game, it´s a training aid (simulator). LM doesn´t allow P3D to be used as a "game".  :lol:  :smile:  :Applause:

IRONY, IRONY, HUMOR !!!!!!

If you want to "play" online, you have discquafied yourself as a P3D user!!!!! P3D is NOT a game, it´s a training aid (simulator). LM doesn´t allow P3D to be used as a "game".  :lol:  :smile:  :Applause:

I've been waiting for that comment since this thread started.  :lol: