Sign in to follow this  
allamet

OOM's after 3-4 hour flights

I keep getting "out of memory" or my system crashes mostly to my add on scenery airports. Have no idea how to solve it and its pretty fustrating after a 3 or 4 hour flight your system just crashes on approach. Any idea to get around this would be greatly appreciated.

Asus P8Z77-V with Intel i7 3770K CPU @ 3.5GHZ

16 GB RAM

WINDOWS 7 64 BIT

NVIDA G FORCE GTX 760

Samsung SSD 500GB, 300GB free space

I have installed, LAX, DFW, ORD & JFK and ground services from FS Dream team. Miami Int airport, Mexico City Int airport, Santo Domingo, UK2000 secnery and My Traffic C. I also use active sky next, rex texture and ftx central. I mostly fly the PMDG 777, level d 767, iFly 737 or the Airbus extended A-320.

Allamet in the scenery library only enable the scenery addons you are immediately using. Flying from DFW to LAX, that's all the should be enabled. Photoscenery is also very bad in this regard. Even if you're 5000 miles away it will be loaded. Autogen: you're flying tubes, you need very little of it; 1 is enough. LOD radius: you need to be careful here. I wouldn't go any higher than 5.5 until you get this under control. Air Traffic: this is a huge consumer of vas. Until you can complete a flight keep this at a minimum and then slowly increase it. The big airports with a lot of traffic will crash FSX with oom for sure. Road traffic: minimum or none until you can complete a flight. Texture res: sorry 1024 is what you'll need to use no exceptions.

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance for eliminating OOM's.  The guide can found to the right of this forum under Hot Spots.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          5/16/2014 7:14:40 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      SSD38Group

Description:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x7543cb49

Faulting process id: 0xe20

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf71666af37c7b

Faulting application path: C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 0005e397-dd69-11e3-a69a-c860008a5831

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-05-17T02:14:40.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>10535</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SSD38Group</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>fsx.exe</Data>

<Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>

<Data>46fadb14</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>00000000</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>7543cb49</Data>

<Data>e20</Data>

<Data>01cf71666af37c7b</Data>

<Data>C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>

<Data>unknown</Data>

<Data>0005e397-dd69-11e3-a69a-c860008a5831</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

My FSX just stop and above it the details from the event viewer. Anyone have any idea what that's all about? Thanks.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          5/4/2014 1:17:14 AM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      SSD38Group

Description:

The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61637.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 1aac

Start Time: 01cf672719e6a4f3

Termination Time: 118

Application Path: C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Report Id:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Hang" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>101</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-05-04T08:17:14.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>8787</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SSD38Group</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>fsx.exe</Data>

<Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>

<Data>1aac</Data>

<Data>01cf672719e6a4f3</Data>

<Data>118</Data>

<Data>C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Other time fsx has crash on my computer.Any help in understanding the data above and how to get around it would be highly appreciated. Kinda fustrating that I can never finish a complete flight. Thanks.

Other time fsx has crash on my computer.Any help in understanding the data above and how to get around it would be highly appreciated. Kinda fustrating that I can never finish a complete flight. Thanks.

I had to split your post from the one you posted as it is difficult to keep track crashes from several members in one topic.  There is nothing in your Event Viewer reports that show what exactly caused your CTD's but you have the classic case of running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS). You only get 4GB's and FSX has to share it with other things running on your system, like Windows. It doesn't matter how much RAM you have installed. That's different. Here's what the AVSIM CTD Guide, located under Hot Spots to the right of this forum, has to say about OOM's:

Out-of-Memory (OOM) – Caused by running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS). Lower LOD_Radius (if above 4.5) and/or Texture_Max_Load (if above 1024). Check BufferPools setting in FSX.cfg and disable (fix for some). The following points apply in regards to VAS -

• FSX and P3D are 32-bit applications. A 64-bit operating systems is limited to 4GB of VAS no matter how much RAM (system memory) is installed. A 32-bit operating system is limited to 2GB of VAS with a “switch” to provide up to 3GB’s.

• OOM’s relate to VAS, not physical memory. Microsoft OOM error should have stated something like “FSX (or P3D) has run out of virtual address space” instead of the application has run out of memory.

• VAS is not the same thing as the virtual memory (page swap file) that you can adjust in your system settings. A large page file or virtual memory swap file does not protect anyone from the 4GB VAS limit.

• VAS is effectively a pre-allocation of everything FSX/P3D can potentially access during a flight. It will fluctuate over the course of a flight and over different areas.

• Microsoft.net Framework packages reserve a chunk of the VAS and then commit memory from that chunk. For this reason, it is important you have the proper version of .net installed.

The following information will be added to the AVSIM CTD Guide in the next update -

Monitoring VAS in FSX or P3DV2 – The freeware or registered versions of the FSUIPC utility will allow you to monitor the amount of VAS remaining during a flight session. This might be valuable in troubleshooting Out-of-Memory (OOM’s).

Startup FSX/P3D and then enter the Addon Menu and select FSUIPC. Once FSUIPC is open, click on the Logging Tab and enter 024C under Offset and select S32 under Type. Select where you would like to have the usage displayed. The FS Window is for Full Screen sessions. The FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode. AVSIM recommends you also check the Normal log file as this provides you information on how much VAS you had to start out with and then it logs usage throughout your flight.

The VAS usage is displayed in Kilobytes (KB’s). The value represents the amount of VAS left so, the lower the value, the more VAS being depleted. The max amount of VAS allowed in computers with 64 bit Operating Systems is 4GB’s. This is shared with other applications running in the background on your computer. For 32 bit Operating Systems, the max amount of VAS allowed for FSX/P3D is 2GB’s but this can be expanded to 3GB’s with a switch like the /3GB switch.

To convert the KB’s to the amount of GB’s, you should use one of the Byte converters on the Internet like the following: http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/byteconverter.htm. You will never see 4194304 KB’s displayed as this equals 4GB’s. You might see around 3GB’s (3145728) remaining when you first start up FSX/P3D but that would be unusual. Do not be too concerned with the amount of VAS remaining when you first start up.

You might be interested in a utility in our AVSIM Library called Quantum Leap which allows you to speed up your trip across the US or any ocean but it requires the payware version of the FSUIPC utility - http://library.avsim...php?DLID=179703 . According to the developer, “this utility was written to allow an FSX aircraft established at cruise to "leap" to a point further along the flight plan track. It allows the user to select a nav fix or manually enter coordinates for the jump-ahead point, as well as setting a new time in the simulation to be set at the designated leap-ahead point. The primary objective was to leap forward on very long haul flights to eliminate long periods of droning or wrestling with accelerated flight. It was tested with the PMDG® 777 and 737NGX simulations, but will most likely work with most other add-ons.”

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If FSX was a 64 bit application, then I would agree the max VAS would be 8TB but FSX and FSX addons are all 32 bit applications and are limited to a MAX of 4GB's on a 32 bit Operating System (which you so rightly stated).  It will be great in 2050 when applications like FSX are programmed as 64-bit applications! B)

If VAS is per process, then what happens if you open up several applications at the same time, like FSX and then P3DV2?  Both applications will be using the 4GB VAS.

I got my information regarding VAS through several Sources, like from NickN, Srdan Word Not Allowed, PMDG's 777 Intro Manual (starting around page 21), and most importantly from the following link which provides a graph as to who gets what in the 4GB allocation - http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx .  I also purchased the 3 Windows System Internals User Guides, written by the techs in the link I provided, and have actually read some of the chapters relating to memory (versus just laying the 3 manuals in front of me and becoming an instant guru :lol:).

Thanks for your input! 

Submit News to AVSIM

No Jim, VAS is per process

To quote Mark Russinovich

"Because the address space on 64-bit Windows is much larger than 4GB, something I’ll describe shortly, Windows can give 32-bit processes the maximum 4GB that they can address and use the rest for the operating system’s virtual memory."

If VAS is per process, then what happens if you open up several applications at the same time, like FSX and then P3DV2? Both applications will be using the 4GB VAS.

Its easy enough to test this, just run FSX, monitor the VAS usage and then open up lots of standalone 32bit programs alongside. FSX VAS free will not decrease.

I have FSX running with 3096 Mb VAS free and opening up 32bit Photoshop along with multiple copies of firefox and a few instances of IE does not decrease the VAS available to FSX.

VAS tables are as the name suggests "virtual" created by windows for each process  from the available VAS pool of 8TB.

We probably are thinking the same. Just different descriptions. Have you used the FSUIPC VAS usage tool? I might have a max of a little more than 3GB's when I start up FSX. By the time I'm finished with my flight I'm have only about 1GB left and a few times it has gone to less than 1GB and I start hearing out of memory warnings from FSUIPC. I have never heard of anyone getting up to 4GB's or even close to it because of other system processes. If I run my browser while running FSX, my FSX will have a hard time loading. Shutdown the browser and fsx runs loads and runs great.

I'm am definitely not going to argue with you as you appear, like me, to be set in concrete in your definition of VAS. I have been using this description for a long time and no one has ever questioned it until now.

If you could help the OP I would appreciate it. Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

We probably are thinking the same. Just different descriptions. Have you used the FSUIPC VAS usage tool

Jim, the figures I gave were taken from Fsuipc running a Lua file remotely across my network.

The reason you are seeing VAS decrease as you are flying is because is of addons running within FSX

which do share VAS space because they are running within FSX.

A 32bit process is granted 4GB, the only process on your machine that opens its VAS table to other processes is the Windows kernel, how else could it manage the VAS space ?.

This is not about thinking the same but using the same descriptions, it is about fundamental basics of how the architecture works.

Have another read through the Windows System Internals User Guides and see if you do not concur.

Better still try the test I described and you will see the difference on VAS usage between externally run processes and code running in process within FSX

You're welcome. Hope it helps fix your problem.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM