Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I never thought that cloud shadows could be such a big deal...

...certainly not, when I only had FSX as my M.S.-based flight sim.  I mean...so what?  Big deal?!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on pause from a flight between Veronica (05S) and Sekiu (11S) being fed by ASN.  Some mid-level clouds as I transverse PNW at 6,500 ft.  It is the cloud shadows upon the terrain, mountain and valleys, that has me spell-bound.  What I thought would 'not' be missed as opposed to real life...well...you have to see them to believe them...and how MUCH, it truly does add to the effect of thinking you are actually flying over that terrain.  You know..there is an old saying that "Ignorance, is bliss", or "...you can't miss, what you don't know.."

For those that haven't yet had the pleasure to fly P3D...yes..you CAN miss what you don't know...(smile).

Oh yes....you can....

Post Edit:  Tip...shut down your weather generation program, and use ORBX Weather 4. It gives you great frame-rates, good cloud cover to fly with..and greatly demonstrates the cloud shadows upon the terrain as you fly....  Again...this choice is a nice 'sky' that gives you 30 FPS to boot...as per your system spec's

Here is a great recipe, to cook up a heapin' helping of P3D at its best;

Take off from Veronica Municipal (05S), heading for a landing and dinner, at Sekiu (11S), using ORBX Weather selection #4.

Set up your Flight Planner at VFR and plan VOR to VOR, at 6,500 ft ASL

I suggest the Carenado SkyMaster 377 as a good VFR sled...luxurious features for four, and great high-wing VFR'ing...!!!

This route will take you between the airports pretty much along the coastline of PNW.  The weather selection #4 will give you great clouds as you sit just below the deck...and will project cloud shadows, upon the terrain, and the ocean!  There is also a wind element to this programmed weather, and you will be jostled around somewhat. It will make for an interesting flight, and landing option.

Once landed, I suggest you have your virtual dinner, and then a good walk on the beautiful beach that is situated on the bay, at Sekiu;   Here is a link below to this beautiful place you shall be landing at:

http://www.olympicpeninsula.org/destinations/clallam-bay-and-sekiu

Ok...pics or it didn't happen.  :P

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Ok...pics or it didn't happen.  :P

(smile)..."Ok, no pics...and it still happened"...  :)

Here is a great recipe, to cook up a heapin' helping of P3D at its best;

Mitch, the recipe comes courtesy of some very smart ex Aces guys finding a home amongst some equally smart LM programmers. this is going to be a great ride going forward.

Incidently these guy's dont just Code, as a Musician myself I am totally cool with this guy coding my flightsim of choice.

Beau hollis, Rendering System Lead Prepar3D team

Mitch, the recipe comes courtesy of some very smart ex Aces guys finding a home amongst some equally smart LM programmers. this is going to be a great ride going forward.

Incidently these guy's dont just Code, as a Musician myself I am totally cool with this guy coding my flightsim of choice.

Me too!  I am a pianist, as well as a Jazz bassist.  I also sing amateur Opera...lol...and still find time for the grand-kids and flight simming! :)  Life is good...and I enjoyed this chap, enjoying himself. Positive energy passed on.... (thumb's up!).

"Mitch, the recipe comes courtesy of some very smart ex Aces guys finding a home amongst some equally smart LM programmers. this is going to be a great ride going forward.

Incidently these guy's dont just Code, as a Musician myself I am totally cool with this guy coding my flightsim of choice."

Awesome video - super job - talented - being a guitarist I can appreciate it - Beau cloud shadows kill my computer any ideas what I can do about that - something that I can turn off maybe to help ? thanks.

Rich Sennett

"Mitch, the recipe comes courtesy of some very smart ex Aces guys finding a home amongst some equally smart LM programmers. this is going to be a great ride going forward.

Incidently these guy's dont just Code, as a Musician myself I am totally cool with this guy coding my flightsim of choice."

Awesome video - super job - talented - being a guitarist I can appreciate it - Beau cloud shadows kill my computer any ideas what I can do about that - something that I can turn off maybe to help ? thanks.

First..what kind of Axe do you play?  Second...Rich...try the Shadow Global setting of Medium, and STILL mash down on all the bullet check-offs.  Also...as in FSX, I discovered that you actually LOSE FPS performance when you dumb down the various features...for I think everything was written for a full-wide-open rendering, and when you use the dummy-down sliders, you are actually causing the CPU to 'filter' out elements...and that takes CPU processing time.  I have in the sim, Water at Ultra, with all check-offs enabled. i have (as stated above) Shadows at Medium, with all check-marks enabled...except for the most bottom, left one...don't TOUCH THAT!!!!

I have all Scenery Sliders at Extremely Dense, except for the third one...auto-gen, set to Dense (more than this looks odd to me...) 

I have Tessellation set to on...no Sync, and use nVidia Inspector to take over all internal AA functions of the sim...or in otherwords, over-ride.  

Rich...try that...yes..you'll be around 17-20 FPS...but the sim is more than able to offer up smooth performance and control at the yoke in that output amount.  I think you will be puzzled and surprised at the performance level, with the sim wide open...(forget about the FPS heritage from FSX...it is redundant...) and see if you will be shaking your head at this dis-logic.

Post Edit thought:  Try a flight WITHOUT any weather generator program...and use the ORBX # 4 in the internal list.  Set your weather changes to Medium, and you will pick up 10 FPS just in that..let alone that the weather scenario gives you the best-of-the-best in visuals...and wind handling.  The cloud decks change with the length of flight..as do some 'darkening' threat of rain down the line....but the most important thing..is you can have great looking clouds at 90 miles out...see all the Shadow Disneyland happening...on land and ocean...and truly believe you are there....perhaps axing a riff whilst on auto-pilot....sshhh...won't tell anyone..honest!

Let me know how it went.

BTW, I am a Gibson Man...have been my whole life... (smile). 

Five String Banjo, too. (Bluegrass)

Amazing really how many musicians gravitate towards flight simulation.

Beau was definatly first line when the smarts were handed out that's for sure

Hi Mitch - Fender 50th anniversary strat and an Ibanez Jem7 - great guitars - fender for my Gilmour leads - I will try your ideas - sending you a pm - thank you

Rich Sennett

Gibson B25 custom shop reissue here.

That's the wrong keyboard Beau! Get back to work!!!

p.s. Nice Pipes

Hi Mitch - Fender 50th anniversary strat and an Ibanez Jem7 - great guitars - fender for my Gilmour leads - I will try your ideas - sending you a pm - thank you

Ah man, I've tried out the 50th. Beautiful tone.

I have a custom shop 69 strat. ( the pickups are the only real difference from the American strat)

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Yes Dave amazing guitar and sound - 22 fret wonder - sounds like you have a beauty there Dave  :good: 

Rich Sennett