Sign in to follow this  
nelsly

WX radar gauge available that works with ASN

Hi , a fellow by the name of Bryn has developed a wx radar that works with FSX and more importantly P3D. I just tested it with ASN and it works awsome. On top of that it is free. You can get the file on the hifi site. You can resize and move the gauge anywhere on a 2D panel. I think he is working on a VC also. Pictures are also on the HIFI site

Nelson

Nicely done! It's a pity that it requires ASN to do anything though...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Bill.

ASN is needed for two main reasons. Firstly, HiFi provide an API that allows hobby coders like me to access information on where the bad weather will be. Not only that, HiFi have written a hook into FSX and P3D that allows them to marry up the bad weather precisely with the cloud positions, so it all comes across as a seamless experience for the user - red on the radar really matters!

Hooking into FSX, reading and nudging the memory allocations takes a lot of intelligence, patience and perseverance, but it pays off. One of my pet peeves is that we don't see more of this in the FS community.  Developers are happy and content to be imaginative within the space that the SDK provides them, and not really go beyond that, like hackers do in most other games.

My FS developer heros are people like Adam Szofran, Pete Dowson, Winfried Orthmann, Christan Buchner, ******* 'Bojote' Altuve, and now Kostas Terzides - hackers who have dug deeper, learnt more, and ultimately made the some of the greatest contributions to the hobby. There are those that say 'it can't be done' because it's not in the SDK, and then there are guys like these.  More power to them I say... as long as they give mug coders like me an API and docs to play with at the end! :-)

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Nicely done! It's a pity that it requires ASN to do anything though...

As Bryn explained, the problem is that if you run it with any other weather program, you get a blank screen. No other program inject weather quite like ASN. Many people still don't understand it.

Not saying you don't though, but there are people on Facebook  still asking PMDG beta testers if the new weather radar will work with Opus, REX, AS2012 etc...

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

The chief problem is that I don't run any weather program at all and have no plans to do so. I need to keep my development system as "virgin" as possible so that nothing can affect my own project development...

I'm not at all surprised then that just trying to load the gauge in the C172 caused a crash, since whatever else it's dependent on doesn't exist... :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I should fix that... I'm also still having problems unloading the gauge if I change aircraft.

Edit: I think that crash is fixed now.  But not the unloading bug.  That's hassled me from the beginning.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr