Sign in to follow this  
joeyd40

FS9 Troubles after FSX uninstall

Hi Forum,

I was going to start the transition from FS9 to FSX about a month ago, but decided FSX wasn't for me after all.  I have never had trouble with frame rates for FS9 and texture loading was always fast.  Since I have deleted FSX my FS9 and system have gone in the toilet.  My frame rates are terrible, textures take a long time to load, and after long flight my whole computer is just really slow.  I have tried to increase my Virtual memory, repair the FS9.exe registry, virus scan, and have gotten rid of all scenery and planes I don't use.  Last, it seems the longer the flights the worse the sim gets, plus a get a hang time for about one minute with small static sounds.  I'm at the wits end and really need help.  My system specs are below.

[] Chassis: CM Storm Scout Mid-Tower ATX Trans Side Panel

[] Chassis Cooling:  High Performance Upgrade Fan Package

[] Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (32-bit)

[] Mainboard: EVGA H55 SLI Chipset

[] Processor: Intel Core i5 670, 3.46GHz DCP

[] CPU Cooling: Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU Liquid Cooling

[] System Memory: 4GB Mushkin Enhanced Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz

[] Graphics Processor: 896MB Nvidia GeForce GTX 280

[] System Power: 750 Watt Corsair SLI Power Supply

[] Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Black Edition 7200 RPM SATA, 32MB

No one???

This could be a longShot Have you tried Defragging the Drive?

Could be anything really

1. Bad Hard Drive (Highly Possible)

2. Bad CPU (Very Rare)

3.Bad GPU (Also Possible) 

4.Defective Modules (Also Possible)

If i were you id try to run a Defrag on the Dirve and see if that helps (FSX is quite large so after uninstalling you may have allot of Fragmented Files) If your Temps and performance are good for the CPU.GPU  then hard drive failure may be a cause. (When files Become Fragmented and scattered all over the drive it can cause performance issues) Especially if you've never ran it before and after uninstalling FSX its recommended to do so)

Whats your CPU usage % iwhen XP is on standby and FS9 is not running?

Whats the Memory usage when FS9 is running?

BTW If you suspect your drive being the culprit Run SeaTools for Windows (If its a Segate or Maxtor) 

http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=8&f=00&tt=65&bt=4&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

IF WD  (Western Digital)  Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows   http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=9&f=00&tt=3&bt=4&bts=1&zu=http%3A//support.wd.com/product/download.asp%3Fgroupid%3D613%26sid%3D3%26lang%3Den

If your PC is slow then you could have allot of clutter or Unknown programs running in the background  using up resource. A virus thats not being detected by your virus software can be a cause. If you dont update your virus Definitions Regularly this can occur.

Also Malware,Spyware ect ect....     Some viruses,Malware or Adaware may not be detected while windows is Running, for this you would need to run an Offline Scanner like Windows Defender Offline wich scans your PC on BOOT after burning it into a disk and placing it in your CDROM while the PC boots (These types of scan can take about 3HRS to run if set to full scan)

When you run you Antivirus also make sure your running a Full scan as suppose to a quick Scan.

Hi,

Thanks for answering.  Could my Active Sky 6 be the problem?  I run defrags at least once a week, but did notice the report saying there are files it can't defrag.  How can I get them to do that?

How would I check my CPU usage?  Control alt delete and then click processes?  

How would I check my CPU usage?  Control alt delete and then click processes?  

To check CPU Usage hit Control-Alt-Del then select the Performance Tab

-2014-may-21-005_zps7943a3c8.jpg

Could my Active Sky 6 be the problem? 

Highly unlikely with your setup

If you go into your Process section Select CPU (highlighted in screen below to see what's using up the highest amount of resource) By clicking CPU it would Sequence the values from Highest to lowest tap it again and it will do the Opposite Lowest to highest.

You want the highest one on top (It will switch up on you so try to get the name of the process that's using the highest value amount of resource then sequence by name to stabilize then search for it that way. To sequence by name Simply tap Image name just to the left of CPU.

BE SURE TO CHECK THE SMALL BOX (BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THAT READS) Show process from all users

NOTE: System Idle process 97% is normal (this highlights the amount of system resource not being used in this case 97% of cpu resource is pretty much free.

But anything else will display the amount of CPU resource being used (thus making the System Idle process value much lower) 

-2014-may-21-007_zps7f90ac37.jpg

WOW!!!  Thanks for putting all this together.  I'll be working on this over the weekend so will let you know on Monday.

I can't thank you enough.

G

I finally got to do this.

FS9 is about 290,000 kb when running.  CPU usage fluctuates between 0-2%

JD

FS9 is about 290,000 kb when running.  CPU usage fluctuates between 0-2%

Sorry about the pictures above :-) had a bit of trouble with my Photobucket account.

CPU Usage for FS9 (considering you have an I-5 is fine and the memory is also fine 290,000 kb is roughly 283MB if your experiencing lag i would look for other processes using up CPU resources and memory

I did a flight from ORD-MCO after a defrag.  I also set REX and FS9 as priority.  Flight went smooth.

I'll keep working it.  Last, I didn't use Active Sky and it seemed to run really smooth.  I've had my suspicions about AS6 ever since this started.