Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Where to fly in PNW

I have recently installed PNW in addition to Global. I took my first flight around PDX (Portland) and it looks amazing. I would really like to see what this area has to offer and wondered if any of you  could give me some suggestions of some sights to see. It looks quite a big area!

many thanks

Darran

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Did you download the freeware Portland cityscape from their website?  (And, also, the other freeware airports.)  There are quite a few nice airports around Portland that are nice right out of the box.  I like to fly at the ones that have some 'town' around them on the VFR charts (yellow).  Also, along the coast and rivers.  (For example, north along the river to Kelso and then west to Astoria.)  The area around Eugene is really nice (though, the airport isn't.)  and you'll get some nice sightseeing flying over it at a couple thousand feet on your way to someplace else LOL.  Another nice flight is to fly north to Olympia, Washington and then west to KHQM on the coast (another of their freeware airports). 

Hope it helps.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

A real quick one is KORS.  Have fun around the islands...touch and go'ing....  Many islands have public and private airfields....and if you purchase the Custom KORS (highly recommended!) version, you will get amazing detail of not only the airport, but all of the surrounding islands etc.  Marine life in the water (for real....you have to fly around and look out for them...) private docks, marina's, etc...in fact you will see in the area how the entitled few live...

I can't wait for KORS to be given the Triple Installer treatment...Cushman Meadows.....ah..yes.....

Have fun...

Darrington 1S2 is one of my favourites, the scenery around there is particularly nice, especially if you have Darrington and Concrete installed as well.

A nice flight is to start from Darrington and follow the river up to Concrete and then from Concrete towards the coast and out to the Islands, such as KORS. There are also lots of airports and grass strips to land at along the way

A real quick one is KORS.

I love small waterside villages.  KORS is one of them.  I keep looking for more of those.  Can't wait until we start seeing some of those on the east coast too.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

All of these suggestions are good. I would add flying up the Columbia River Gorge (the Orbx boys did a great job with the Bonneville dam), and the roundabout from KORS, over Anacortes, inland to Concrete and Darrington, around the mountain and then back out to Jefferson or Diamond Point is a nice evening flight. The flight from KORS south along the mountains as the sun is setting is really nice, and landing at KHQM at the end is just the cherry on top.

Similar to Gregg, the flight from KTTD (Portland Troutdale - get the free GA pack and it will blow your mind with the traffic!) up to KKLS and then out to Astoria is a real nice flight. South along the coast to Tillamook is fun and beyond is fun. Frankly, anywhere you go you will be entertained!

Really, PNW put Orbx on the map in many people's mind and there is a TON of stuff to explore and appreciate. I do have to say that their new Northern California region is the equal, if not slightly better. Being a California native and having traveled on motorcycle and car throughput the area I can say with certainty they did a terrific job!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I love small waterside villages.

Gregg, you might want then, to look at the Triple-Install Sikiu (11S)

A beautiful area of PNW..and Sikiu airport is situated near a cliff,  overlooking the Bay. It is a great run between 11S and 05S Veronica Municipal. Great scenery if you are loaded all up with ORBX candy.

Mitch

Sikiu

Pronounced "See-Q" for those wondering. Gotta love our Pacific Northwest names.

Anywhere around the San Juan Islands and over to the Olympic Peninsula are great areas to fly in.

wm1W7kj.jpg

Jon Skiffington

Thanks very much for the replies guys. It looks like I am going to have lots of fun exploring this part of the wold. I will download some of the freeware scenery for PNW such as Portland cityscape. The GA traffic pack sounds really interesting as I currently use Ultimate Traffic 2 for tubeliners. Does anyone know if this will work ok along side UT2?

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer