Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Is XPLane 10 not sold as direct download product ?

So far I have only been able to see sale of XPlane 10 as a DVD product. If that's the only option it's very alone in that regard. By now are we not past buying products on discs instead of direct download? Also I see an USB stick for $30 that would make it possible to run XPLane 10 with out a disc in the drive. Why should I need to buy a stick for such a high price only for that purpose? It was a long time since I needed a disc in the drive in order to run a program.

It's only sold on disc due to the sheer volume of data. I have heard of some people creating an .iso of disc one and mounting it to get over the problem of keeping disc one in the drive.

Well the direct download would pose an issue since the data on the DVD is absolutely massive weighing in near 70gbs worth of DVD data.  Its not just the end user needing to support that but also the server loads you need to consider.  That being said I would hope at some point they move away from the Disc 1/USB key requirement.  It is not a huge massive deal to me since 99% of the games I play no longer require discs so I hardly use my drive anyways still would be nice.  I would even support a server check or account based thing honestly.

But I am sure they would like nothing more then to move to a complete downloading system at some point when they find a reasonable system to do so.

Well the direct download would pose an issue since the data on the DVD is absolutely massive weighing in near 70gbs worth of DVD data.  Its not just the end user needing to support that but also the server loads you need to consider.  That being said I would hope at some point they move away from the Disc 1/USB key requirement.  It is not a huge massive deal to me since 99% of the games I play no longer require discs so I hardly use my drive anyways still would be nice.  I would even support a server check or account based thing honestly.

But I am sure they would like nothing more then to move to a complete downloading system at some point when they find a reasonable system to do so.

Regarding this big amount of data. Is there an option to only install specific parts of the world? I mean you probably won't fly everywhere in the world so you would like to install only part of the global scenery in order to save disc space.

There is when you install it you can select what regions you want to install.  In addition they do at least here in the US sell just the North America region pack at a reduced price.  I ended up buying the Global Upgrade which equaled out in price so there is a mechanism to reduce the overall size by limiting where you want to fly.  I guess you can do like in World of Warcraft where the downloader would install certain things and then slowly install the rest in time in the background as you play.

Well the direct download would pose an issue since the data on the DVD is absolutely massive weighing in near 70gbs worth of DVD data.  Its not just the end user needing to support that but also the server loads you need to consider.

That's why they invented peer-to-peer! :) As seen in many game launchers, and of course torrents.