Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

Well I did it, I purchased P3d v2.2

I downloaded it and the install went smoothly.

After taking a few test flights around an airport I am familiar with I was pleasantly surprised at the stability of the sim.

I am very happy I took the chance to see how P3d would run on my system.

I also purchased the FSX to P3d migration tool to help with installing my airport addons purchased for FSX.

What I am confused about is there seems to be multiple scenery packages and mesh addons and it is quite confusing.

What I currently use in FSX is

REX4 w/OD

GEX

UTX

Should I consider these or move on to FTX, but which ones?

Nick

Nick Sciortino

Hi Nick,

UTX and GEX is not for P3D, just FSX only and Rex is fine for P3D. When you purchase addon programs it states for P3D and or FSX   Some FSX addon programs however do work with P3D using the migration tool but you first need to do some searching to make sure it will work .  Orbx is great scenery and it is designed for both sims. I, my self use Orbx scenery and am well pleased with it. Hope this helps.

Regards.

Lamar.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Thank you for the quick reply.

This is what is confusing, do I need to purchase FTX Global Base and then each region or is there a complete package?

Nick Sciortino

FTX is global

You should get vectors too if your getting FTX, adds a lot IMO

expensive

I suggest the following approach:

I am presently in Southern Alaska by ORBX (a.k.a. SAK), you should get this ONLY  FOR NOW its only 40 bucks it will immerse your senses in this restricted yet immense area for a long time with a lot of adjusted airfields etc... you don't need FTXG with that, nor Vectors, they are global enhancers that's all

I don't think you need PNW first but make sure you get FTX Library installed (after SAK) for P3DV22 (support pages)

Ita all a bit long but you can still enjoy while you figure it out

And don't forget to turn shadows on for 30000 or less

Oh and you should really get a weather engine, I prefer ASN

Don't need REX at all as the clouds  that are in native P3DV22 are fantastic IMHO

In SAK the native P3DV22 AI is enough you will not really need an AI addon the likes of TrafficX360 as there is so little airline traffic in SAK anyway

So total expense only 40 bucks unless you want the optional weather engine which you can do without just use shadows if your GPU will tolerate the heat

FTX Global is a separate addon from the regions. You can get that and nothing else if you like. It covers the whole globe. FTX Vector is another addon I am going to get also, but it requires FTX Global.

The regions can be bought separate and don't require anything but that region to fly in. They provide way more detail than global, but only cover their area. You can use them with Global, like I do.

If you go the direction of Orbx FTX Global Base and FTX Global Vector, avail yourself of the free (yes free) airport packs.  At my last count there were over a hundred airports in the 10-12 airpacks released thus far.  Not as good as the payware Orbx airports, but they flat blow default out of the water.

SAK is a great choice for starting with Orbx regions.  You could also consider the Pacific Northwest package, which was published a few years ago or opt for the Northern California package, which was recently published and uses all current Orbx tech.  You really can't go wrong with P3D and P3D-compatible Orbx regions.

You will really enjoy P3D.  Best of luck.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I own FTX Global but I have to say I only fly in regions... they are so much better because they come with everything you need. FTX Global also needs FTX Vector and  the upcoming FSX openLC and add-on mesh and STILL it won't be as good as the regions (which have region specific autogen, photo real parts and upgraded airports)!

I do have FTX Global installed just in case I fly near the borders of the FTX regions: this way I will never have to see the ugly default textures.  ^_^ I would not buy FTX Global just for that though, but since I already bought it, I might as well install it for that. I won't get FTX Vector and FTX OpenLC, that's for sure. I rather fly in 'small' regions which btw aren't that small at all when you fly a plane like the A2A C172 like I do. I spend over a year in PNW alone and never got sick of it! And now I also have NCA, CRM, NRM and PFJ and it will take years for me to check out everything. And by that time I will have forgotten how things were when I started out. And FTX Norway will be released by that time too! Well, anyway, for me the FTX regions are the ones to get! No matter how hard Orbx works on FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC, the regions are the best.

No matter how hard Orbx works on FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC, the regions are the best.

Absolutely agree.  The regions are sort of like "non-photoreal photoreal".  You can go to Google Earth and look at various landmarks in the RW and find the same in the regions, even to an odd clear cutting pattern (miles of it) in central Idaho.  The patter is a checkerboard effect.  Interesting

But for when you want to go outside your (very large) box, FTX Global Base and the others are the way to go, IMHO

Also regarding REX.. I see you got REX4 installed which is the best to use for P3D2.2 for textures.

You can really take advantage of the HDR effect in P3D. REX4 has an option to select for HDR textures, then scenery doest look too dark :)

Just to make it more clear for you..

FTX Global = GEX which are texture replacements

FTX Vector = UTX which correct highways, roads, water bodies, coastlines etc...

These, however cover the entire globe and not  just a particular region like UTX and GEX.

Aside from those products, ORBX offers small regions in very high detail, such as Pacific Northwest, Northern California, England, and many others.  For these areas you do not need Global or Vector, as they have all of those upgrades include plus even more detail.

Soon, ORBX will be releasing landclass products, which is the final step and makes sure the proper textures go in the right geographical areas.  

Or.... If you buy a region product, you'll get all the looks and details but it would not be global, and reduced price!

So, if you just want to get started.... Go with a region of of your choice. Cheaper. But global is equally nice. ...but is a greater investment. Either way, each orbx product is attractive in its own right. .. .

Those orbx guys have really found a way to separate us from our money!

Those orbx guys have really found a way to separate us from our money!

+1  No!!  +73 1/2!!

Soon, ORBX will be releasing landclass products, which is the final step and makes sure the proper textures go in the right geographical areas.

This will be the icing on the Global cake... some of the above are underselling Global slightly, as it makes a truly massive difference to the P3D/FSX experience outside of the FTX regions. I'm not going to pretend Global is a substitute to the Orbx regions, but I have flown places I have never flown before because of it, and those flights have not been far behind those I've taken in the regions, and I'm a low and slow guy... In some cases, unless you know the country, it could be a region apart from the finer details. I would say anyone who owns P3D/FSX should at least get the 'base' package, as it will allows them to fly almost anywhere and have a great experience, and get the regions that interest them to enhance that even further. Once Vector has reached 1.2 and the LC packages are released we will see a real game changer in the way we see the simulated globe... there has never been a better time to be a flight sim enthusiast.

Well I am enjoying P3d, It seems very stable.

I added all of my airports, (KLAX, KORD, KLAS, KJFK, KSFO, KPHX, KIAD, VXXH, and TNCM) that I purchased from FSDT, FB, and FlyTampa and Tested almost all of them.

Frame rates were 25-30 which is better than FSX. 

I then added FTX Global and then Vector, frame rates stayed at 25+, this is still good.

I will start to get just a few of the regional areas that I might like and of course I will start to download the free airports.

I want to begin learning how to fly GA, all I have ever tried and I do mean try to fly are Airliners, any suggestions on any GA.... 

Nick Sciortino