Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

P3D new user guide

Hi:

This to help new users to get P3D V2 up and running for the first time, this is not the end all, this was my process that has worked very well for me and hope it helps out.

My System: 3370k - 16 gig Corasir platinums - H100 Corsair water cooler - Gigabyte z77x-up7 motherboard - Titan GPU - OCZ 512MB HD OS - Samsung 512mb SSD secondary HD

overclock 4.2 for now and an ASUS 27" widescreen high resolution which needs a capable GPU that supports 2560 x 1440 which a Titan does - I am using HDMI cable

Your P3D.CFG file can be found here make sure your folders are set to view hidden files in windows - path is here C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

I use the Nvidia Inspector settings in Adi's files used with Sweetfx

1. I use 335.23 nivida whql driver I had problems with the latest whql and beta driver - no idea on ATI cards - sorry if you have a weaker system menu settings shown below may have to be adjusted for your system.

2. Load P3D on your c: drive - create a folder called P3D or whaterver and install it there - you can put it on another drive but I do not

3. If you use FSUIPC please download latest 4934 - then you will need P3D patch located here http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6453 - please download academic version

There is a great program called "take ownership" search on web its free - you click a folder - right mouse click and click take ownership and let it do its thing until it completley stops

==================================================================================================================================================================

If you run a 4 core CPU use these setings below in your P3D CFG. file - I have HyperThreading ON - always have - if your cpu does not match mine you will need to do your homework on it as I know little about  

these calculations. You can place these lines exactly as shown at the top of your P3D.CFG file - copy and paste it from here.

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=242

4. I used this link  http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/performance/general_performance_tuning.html  provided by Adi and found out with no investigation that for now I would leave these

settings out until I can play with       them - why  because I was getting some weird shadow anomilies and less fps --- The above inserts are all I have in my P3D CFG. file

5. I want to state that I think this is a good thing to do in sim only - I use corsair link software to turn my fans up to full and I leave the video card alone as it will do it by itself, but you can use freeware to do that

if you wish - I just  turn down fan speed  after leaving sim

6. Here are my Settings screen shots - it seems Mitch has stated if you turn up settings P3D gets better and I agree after trying it - the thing that will bring down performance is cloud shadows which from what I

have seen are    only needed in day time flying so I would turn them off if your not flying in the daytime, FPS will rise. I have not shown traffic as I have it shut off - I did manage to install mytrafficx with only

one text edit to a cfg file but it did hurt the fps so I may wait till the newest mytraffic is P3D ready, UT2 is 

not and will not ever work with P3D, I think flight1 is not supporting P3D from what I have read - heard traffic 360 works but do your homework.

2gvkc37.jpg

2iu6i3a.jpg

mrxqh3.jpg

2zovlth.jpg

7. Now I am using ADI sweetfx files that He has kindly provided worked right out of the box so follow his instructions but I found I had to locate the P3D.EXE for it to work - thats is the little portable program in which you do this - 

this prgram along with nvidia inspector settings my Anti Aliasing greatly improved and the atmosphere looked sharper and better - highly reccomend this to All.

Here is the link to all Of Adi's sweetfx setup and directions - do this it will take a little bit of work but well worth it  http://simtweak.com/ and http://forum.avsim.net/forum/700-the-sweet-fsx-support-forum/

make sure you download the proper files for your sim of choice.

8. This is a must tool - Estonia Migration Tool - if you want to play nice with P3D get it as I have seen even with a P3D installer that might not work and this tool will solve that, if you want to install something do your 

homework on the forums of that product to see if thre is some hacks or it just does not work tool or not 

(This is very important so you do not hose your install

9. Make a copy of scenery cfg. file - P3D.CFG file or any other cfg files you mess with so you can revert back - also nice idea to make a copy of your main texture file if something goes wrong you will havea

backup - very important to do this better safe than sorry - especially with this new changing platform

8. This is not the end all but a great start - you should have a pretty smooth and great looking sim

9.  As I figure out more good tweaks like the ones on the P3D link I will update this post

10. Thanks to Rob Adi and Mitch for the help to get me to a nice place in P3D - and also the Prepar3d developers - looks like a great future.

11. Any questions I will try to answer them the best I can - enjoy and hope this helps anyone diving into the flightsim of the future.

12. Using all saitek hardware and have found so far that all I use is the spad driver (did not load saitek drivers) panels seem to be working great (swich panel - radio stack - trim wheel and yoke) I have one 

issue while on ground ready for take off the aircraft is pulling so have to investigate that.

13. Also check to see if previous purchase have been updated (installers - etc.) and download them - I created a new folder for all of my P3d related files and new downloaded installers so they are not mixed with my fsx stuff

Regards, Rich

• Upvote 2

Rich Sennett

Great job, Richard!  This will encourage those that might find this rather intimidating. It is a good place to start their usage of

P.S.  I also run up my fans by 50 percent or more, for any sim I punch up....just a good practice, to be sure!

I looked at your masks, and I have also Tessellation set to full right, and Special Effects also, full right.HDR lighting as 'on'. Good tip about turning off shadows in night flying. Smart observation!

I might add, that you need on Windows 7, to have the AERO  desktop feature turned on, for V-Sync to work in P3D, or within the nVidia Inspector as an override of the in-house P3D mask entry.

With respect,

Mitch (Ses).

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mitch - got a some nice tweaks from you for sure - appreciate that Brother

Rich Sennett

Thanks Mitch - got a some nice tweaks from you for sure - appreciate that Brother

You're welcome. Rich..a question..with your killer 780..what do you have Tess set to low?  Just wondering?  

BTW, smart thought about suggesting to turn off Shadows, prior to a night flight...very smart!

So is UsePools=0 useful in Prepar3D 2.2 after all?

Some said it does not...but, I was having low FPS problems, with stutter. I simply thought to migrate that over from my FSX.cfg file...placed it below the Job Sched, and immedialty went to see the same effect as in using it in FSX..and my FPS came up as well. That was my road to getting things right.  I won't debate whether it works or not, for I saw an immediate effect that can not be attributed to placebo/perception. Day and night...the next flight had stutters gone. This result with a GTX 680 2 GB, running the latest Beta driver.

Richard tried this...and found tangible results as well, per the next usage....

"You're welcome. Rich..a question..with your killer 780..what do you have Tess set to low?  Just wondering?  "

Good catch Mitch should be off - hmm didn't notice a problem - going to shut it off now - you have a good eye - thanks

Just bought FTX Vector not noticing much difference in performance buy highly recommend it much better immersion not - very nice product

Another thing I would like to add as I cant edit my post anymore is if you make changes in P3D and it doesn't seem to be working - close it and restart it - also noticed some texture changes didnt take - changed the texture resolution to something else and it clears it up

Rich Sennett

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "P3D Tips and Tricks" to "The Prepar3d General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

"You're welcome. Rich..a question..with your killer 780..what do you have Tess set to low? Just wondering? "

Don't think you ansered this.

Surely with your Titan (?) Tessellation should be full right?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Good catch Mitch should be off - hmm didn't notice a problem - going to shut it off now - you have a good eye - thanks

Why turn off tessellation? Turning it off in Prepar3D 2.2 means that the terrain paging will move back to the CPU. With your GTX Titan it should be set to the highest setting.

Hi Guys - in Adi's directions for sweet - He states to shut off  tessellation but I may turn it back on to check it - thanks

Rich Sennett

Hi Guys - in Adi's directions for sweet - He states to shut off  tessellation but I may turn it back on to check it - thanks

Do you mean SweetFX? Unless you really want to use that, I strongly advise against turning off tessellation. Beau himself said that it is just a fallback mode to the legacy terrain paging system, and that they really want you to have it on if you have a modern GPU.

"Do you mean SweetFX? Unless you really want to use that, I strongly advise against turning off tessellation. Beau himself said that it is just a fallback mode to the legacy terrain paging system, and that they really want you to have it on if you have a modern GPU."

You are reading my mind - I am going to shut off sweet and put tessellation back on - for some reason I always revert back to normal when using these tweaks - thanks

Rich Sennett

Richard, with those settings your GPU is probably at 70% most of the time. Try turning some things that are GPU dependant up and then monitor your GPU utilization.

Hi Richard,

UT2 does technically work in P2V2.2, if one does not regard to the legal issue.

Install it with EMT on, then you can disable EMT again, add their additional ut2 objects to simobjects directory entries in the prepar3d.cfg as seventh entry, move the original 7 an 8 entry to 8 an 9. Start.

I'm not at home so I can't write it down exactly, but it works.

Best regards

Michael