Sign in to follow this  
fly_edds

FSX always freezes on longhauls after 7 to 8 hours

Hi guys!

That's ridiculous. My FSX is always freezing on longhaul flights after 7 to 8 hours inflight. I can 100% reproduce that.

Normally I'm not doing anything on my PC when the freezing occurs. It's not an OOM problem, the VAS is at ~3,5 GB on each flight.

Here's my setup:

PMDG 777, FTX Global, Active Sky Next, FS Real Time, Pro-ATC/X, Ezdok, kACARS (flight tracking for my VA).

FSX is running in DX10 + Steve's DX10-Fixer. My specs: Windows 7 64bit, GTX770, i5 4670k @4,4GHz, 8GB RAM.

All in all it's not a big problem cause I'm using FSUIPC's auto-save-feature on each flight, but these freezes are simply annoying.

Here's the error log: (Not really informative, I think?)

Fehlerbucket , Typ 0
Ereignisname: AppHangB1
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: fsx.exe
P2: 10.0.61637.0
P3: 46fadb14
P4: f7fc
P5: 256
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Angefügte Dateien:
C:\Users\Basti\AppData\Local\Temp\WER88C8.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Basti\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD025.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Diese Dateien befinden sich möglicherweise hier:
C:\Users\Basti\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_fsx.exe_bd7e9d96fa111ef555a6fdc3841e22edf5b9856c_05aed3fb

Analysesymbol:
Es wird erneut nach einer Lösung gesucht: 0
Berichts-ID: f5e90ad5-e039-11e3-bbd7-bc5ff4fb1b72
Berichtstatus: 1

I'm wondering why it is always freezing after such a long time...maybe some kind of memory/bufferoverflow?

I'm very thankful for any ideas!

Kind regards, Sebi

Regards, Sebastian

It's not an OOM problem, the VAS is at ~3,5 GB on each flight.

Only known solution is the fact you are running out of VAS. It is very difficult for me to believe you have 3.5GB of VAS remaining. That's almost like impossible. If you have that much remaining after a 7 - 8 hour flight, you have a miracle computer. Have you used the FSUIPC VAS utility? Is it recorded to your FSUIPC.log? Here's how to use the FSUIPC utility if you are not familiar with the configuration:

Monitoring VAS in FSX or P3DV2 – The freeware or registered versions of the FSUIPC utility will allow you to monitor the amount of VAS remaining during a flight session. This might be valuable in troubleshooting Out-of-Memory (OOM’s).

Startup FSX/P3D and then enter the Addon Menu and select FSUIPC. Once FSUIPC is open, click on the Logging Tab and enter 024C under Offset and select S32 under Type. Select where you would like to have the usage displayed. The FS Window is for Full Screen sessions. The FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode. AVSIM recommends you also check the Normal log file as this provides you information on how much VAS you had to start out with and then it logs usage throughout your flight.

The VAS usage is displayed in Kilobytes (KB’s). The value represents the amount of VAS left so, the lower the value, the more VAS being depleted. The max amount of VAS allowed in computers with 64 bit Operating Systems is 4GB’s. This is shared with other applications running in the background on your computer. For 32 bit Operating Systems, the max amount of VAS allowed for FSX/P3D is 2GB’s but this can be expanded to 3GB’s with a switch like the /3GB switch.

To convert the KB’s to the amount of GB’s, you should use one of the Byte converters on the Internet like the following: http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/byteconverter.htm. You will never see 4194304 KB’s displayed as this equals 4GB’s. You might see around 3GB’s (3145728) remaining when you first start up FSX/P3D but that would be unusual. Do not be too concerned with the amount of VAS remaining when you first start up.

You might be interested in a utility in our AVSIM Library called Quantum Leap which allows you to speed up your trip across the US or any ocean but it requires the payware version of the FSUIPC utility - http://library.avsim...php?DLID=179703. According to the developer, “this utility was written to allow an FSX aircraft established at cruise to "leap" to a point further along the flight plan track. It allows the user to select a nav fix or manually enter coordinates for the jump-ahead point, as well as setting a new time in the simulation to be set at the designated leap-ahead point. The primary objective was to leap forward on very long haul flights to eliminate long periods of droning or wrestling with accelerated flight. It was tested with the PMDG® 777 and 737NGX simulations, but will most likely work with most other add-ons.”

One other investigative tool is the Process Monitor.  If you are not familiar with the configuration of this tool, here's how this works:

Setting up the Process Monitor for FSX – Another investigative tool used to pin down a situation where FSX/P3D freezes, crashes, or stutters/pauses during a flight is to run a utility called Process Monitor - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645. During your flight, this utility monitors activity such as calling textures, AI aircraft schedules, ATC, weather updates, and scenery loading. When FSX/P3D stutters or FPS drop dramatically you simply write down the time it occurred. This is important as thousands of entries are made every minute, every second. Continue doing this throughout the flight. Of course, if it freezes, you will know what was going on before the sim froze. This utility will not show you a definitive cause of your issue but it will show you what add-ons were being loaded about when you received the stutter, the long pause(s), and the freeze and you can further investigate by disabling that scenery, that aircraft, or whatever might have caused the event. One member used this utility to determine that My Traffic X, version 5.4c was the cause of a BEX/StackHash/NTDLL.dll crash he was getting. It was easy to disable My Traffic X in the Scenery Library and find that FSX no longer crashed.

AVSIM recommends you do not run a flight any longer than 60 minutes as the Process Monitor log becomes quite large. For a 60 minutes flight, expect the file to be at least as large as 8GB’s or tens of millions of captured events. Make sure you delete the log or move it to another drive after you have finished your testing to free up HDD space. Another recommended tip is to make sure you use system time to mark the time of each event and do not use an external clock unless they are sync’d. Going through one minute of a glitch is a massive amount of data needed to be reviewed (it goes fast as thousands of entries just show a scenery being loaded).

To run this utility properly, you need to capture only FSX/P3D events. It would be nearly impossible to find a possible glitch if Windows events or other system activities were being logged too. AVSIM recommends opening of the Process Monitor when you are on the active runway and preparing to takeoff to save space on your HDD:

Open Process Monitor. Click on the Filter tab and then Filter….

Display entries matching these conditions:

Where it says Architecture, click on that and select “Process Name”

Go next to the blank box and click on that and select FSX or P3D.exe and make sure “Include” is shown (FSX or P3D must be running when you do this!!). Once completed, click on Add and then click OK at the bottom of the form and Go Fly.

You can use the utility while in Full Screen mode or Windowed Mode. In Windowed Mode you can monitor what is happening instantly but it is best to run Process Monitor in Full Screen (unless you are seeing freezes in Windowed Mode.

When the flight is finished, immediately go to the Process Monitor application and hit Ctrl+E on your keyboard to capture the events (event logging will continue until you do this). Shutdown FSX/P3D and begin your investigating!

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sorry! I meant that the "buffer" for the remaining flight is always about 0,5 GB.

I'm already monitoring the VAS using Processexplorer.

Regards, Sebastian

Sorry! I meant that the "buffer" for the remaining flight is always about 0,5 GB.

Okay. That indicates to me you are very low on VAS. Try running your next flight using the configuration in the FSUIPC as I recommended above. This way you can select it to be logged with the FSUIPC.log and you can see the variations of VAS after you have finished the flight (or it crashes). You can also watch it in live time during the flight. After a long flight and coming into an airport (possibly a payware airport) with real weather running and in commercial aircraft addon, you will barely have enough VAS to land, especially if you have high settings and tweaks like BufferPools or UsePools. If you have tweaks like I have with the LOD_Radius set to 6.5, and Texture_Max_Load 2048 or 4096, VAS will deplete faster. As proven in P3DV2, Autogen is also a massive user of VAS and Lockheed Martin was able to fix that in Version 2.2. Unfortunately, it can't be fixed in FSX other than to turn it off if not really needed.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I had same problem until today.

I placed  " uiautomationcore.dll "  file in FSX program folder. The file version is the one with a Microsoft digital signature and file version 6.0.5840.16386 which I found somewhere on the web / youtube. Search for [uiautomationcore.dll FSX crash windows 7 64 bit]. My freeze always happened while I was doing something with the mouse...so I disabled mouse shadows and set mouse pointer scheme to None (in Windows). See below. BTW I run Win7-64 using Basic desktop theme - not one of the aero desktop themes (but the mouse was still using aero pointer scheme). So my guesss is that one of the above did the trick.

mousesettingsFSX.jpg

I had same problem until today.

I placed  " uiautomationcore.dll "  file in FSX program folder. The file version is the one with a Microsoft digital signature and file version 6.0.5840.16386 which I found somewhere on the web / youtube. Search for [uiautomationcore.dll FSX crash windows 7 64 bit]. My freeze always happened while I was doing something with the mouse...so I disabled mouse shadows and set mouse pointer scheme to None (in Windows). See below. BTW I run Win7-64 using Basic desktop theme - not one of the aero desktop themes (but the mouse was still using aero pointer scheme). So my guesss is that one of the above did the trick.

The AVSIM CTD Guide has links to the uiautomationcore.dll plus information about the module. If you look throughout this forum, you will see where thousands have the uiautomationcore.dll in their main fsx folder and fsx crashes. I can prove it because most individuals post an AppCrashView report which shows what is installed and the uiautomationcore.dll is located there. I tell them to remove it and most of the time the crashes stop. The AVSIM CTD Guide can be found to the right of this page/forum under Hot Spots.

Thanks for posting your solution though. Glad you were able to get your problem fixed.

Apologize for going a little off topic but just wanted to pass on a friendly reminder that we have changed our signature policy again and we are kindly asking everyone to please put their system specs and flight sim information in their respective "My Profile". More details can be found at the following link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436632-new-signature-rules or under the Forums tab above. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM