Sign in to follow this  
Arwen

Important: for A2A C172 Trainer Owners

I couldn't get this latest version to do a proper slow flight in FSX.  Nose was pointed way down, power setting way too low, no right pedal required to keep it straight.  I thought the previous was better. 

EDIT:  Wow...it really is easy to taxi!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Concerning the refund: I received a mail from A2A in which they said they had made an error indeed. The idea is that when you buy any P3D license and want to relinquish your FSX license, you will get the full cost of that FSX license (50 bucks) refunded. A2A solved the problem with my refund in a very satisfying way. Don't know if they want me to post the details but let me end my contribution to this topic by saying that I will buy the upcoming Piper as soon as it's been released. ^_^

Glad you got sorted that out. In your thread at the A2A forums, Lewis said that the Prepar3D licence will not work in FSX due to the changes. Except for the installer, do you know what other changes are in there?

Glad you got sorted that out. In your thread at the A2A forums, Lewis said that the Prepar3D licence will not work in FSX due to the changes. Except for the installer, do you know what other changes are in there?

I have no idea... Since Lewis didn't say anything else about it I suppose the main and for now only change is that the P3D version only works in P3D and the FSX version only works in FSX.

I have no idea... Since Lewis didn't say anything else about it I suppose the main and for now only change is that the P3D version only works in P3D and the FSX version only works in FSX.

Thanks, if you find any difference, please let us know. I'm glad they've finally decided to fully support Prepar3D, and I'm going to buy the C172 very soon.

True for the taper wing...

Don't expect that with the old hershey bar wing.

All other things being equal (which they rarely are :rolleyes: ) a low wing aircraft will always seem a bit more "floaty" than will a similar high wing due to ground effect.  That being said, most of my PA28 time is in newer planes featuring the semi-tapered wing, including the Turbo Arrow IV that I owned, and I don't consider even semi-tapered wing PA28s to be particularly prone to float.  You want float if you haven't nailed your speed, try a Bonanza or better yet a Mooney!

Scott

All other things being equal (which they rarely are :rolleyes: ) a low wing aircraft will always seem a bit more "floaty" than will a similar high wing due to ground effect.

My experience... there is a distinct difference in the two wings (HB vs. Taper) when landing.  (edit:  my response to Gregg referring to the PA-28s).

I liked to carry a little power into the transition with the old wing... not so with the newer one.  This comes from the time in 140s... some also in the 180s compared to the 161s.

Btw I never felt the A36 was a "floaty" plane like the Warrior IIs and certainly the 140s were not floaty imo.  This all at 'book speeds'.

As noted, I don't have many hours with HB winged PA-28s (and my active flying days in anything ended over a decade ago now) so my memories of differences could well be flawed.  But I typically carried a bit of power all the way to transition in the Turbo Arrow IV (semi-tapered) as well.  With gear down and flaps that plane wasn't the least bit reluctant to go down all the way to the runway.  My main point being I just never thought of ANY PA-28 as being a floater compared to other, far more slippery low-wing planes.

BTW, one other thing from the A2A video that struck me relative to differences between the HB and later semi-tapered wing.  The video noted that the benign stall characteristics were also due to the constant chord.  But from my perspective, stalls in ANY PA-28 I've flown are as close to a non-event as a stall could be.  My semi-tapered wing Turbo Arrow IV stalled pretty much as described for the constant chord version.  You'd have to be downright unconscious on the pedals to get a wing to drop significantly, and the final stall event was mostly noted by the altimeter starting to wind backwards, not by a dramatic break.  The plane would simply start to mush downhill, and with even a small amount of care on the pedals, you could let it continue to mush down nice and easy if you wanted.

I expect if you worked at it you could induce a spin (never tried, as the plane was not approved for spins so it's entirely likely that spin recovery might be a different story) but you'd really have to work at it to get there.

It will be interesting to play a bit at the edge of the envelope when the plane comes out.  And now, back to the topic at hand...

Scott

My main point being I just never thought of ANY PA-28 as being a floater compared to other, far more slippery low-wing planes.

Yeah, the time or two I floated a long ways I was high on speed.  My point was when I was high on speed on Cessnas they didn't float as far.

But from my perspective, stalls in ANY PA-28 I've flown are as close to a non-event as a stall could be.

I was flying taper wing Warrior IIs and an Archer.  Yep...a thankfully very boring stall.  If you haven't tried the library C172.air file, it's pretty vicious.  That one even wings over in power-off stalls with full flaps. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

But I typically carried a bit of power all the way to transition in the Turbo Arrow IV (semi-tapered) as well. With gear down and flaps that plane wasn't the least bit reluctant to go down all the way to the runway.

My experience as well for a '78 Arrow III.  Same wing as the Warrior II.  I attrib'd the difference when compared to a Warrior being due to the gear doors / wheel wells etc.

Yeah Warrior IIs a fairly docile staller. 

My point was when I was high on speed on Cessnas they didn't float as far.

Certainly agree there if you're in one that had the 40° flap position. :P

Well, my mail says this:

"A2A Simulations Inc. just sent you a full refund of $79,99 USD for your purchase."

Furthermore, when I checked my account on the A2A site, I still see the FSX license and I see the P3D license being noted as 'refunded'. When you check your A2A account, do you still see the FSX license or only the P3D license? And does that P3D entry say something about a refund? Or do you only see the P3D purchase and nothing more?

In the meantime I mailed A2A to check if something went wrong somewhere...

Hi J van E

Have you, by any chance, got a mail adress for the refund request ?

Best regards

Soeren 

Have you, by any chance, got a mail adress for the refund request ?

Officialy it's a rebate, not a refund ^_^ and the address is:

c172rebate@a2asimulations.com

See this topic for the various options (rebate in case of a bundle or relinquish your FSX license, etc.):

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40034

I just want to clarify. I currently have the FSX version. I want to forfeit my FSX version for the P3D version. Do I have to buy the P3D version, then ask for the rebate?

Thanks,

Mike

I just want to clarify. I currently have the FSX version. I want to forfeit my FSX version for the P3D version. Do I have to buy the P3D version, then ask for the rebate?

Yes.

Annoying process for an even more annoying pricing scheme...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT