Sign in to follow this  
oskiatl

Chinese aircraft company Comac to deliver first passenger jet

That does not bode well for Boeing and Airbus down the road. How can a  free market industry compete with a state run industry. Why are they doing test flights in North America and who is doing them?

They are still playing catch-up but another 10 years they will really start to make their mark. By the time 2050 rolls around the age of the superpowers will be long gone as everything is starting to equal out.

10 years ago the biggest tourism to New Zealand was Americans, Europeans and Japanese, Today it is becoming China, They are the emerging middle class and are now enjoying money and leisure time and travel is at a big demand for them. Japan and USA's recent recessions have taken them back a few notches and other nations like China, Brazil, India are moving up....it will all equal out eventually. Third world will get even worse though. 

Won't be long for Chinese branded aircraft, cars and trains will be sold around the world and we won't think anything of it. 

How can a  free market industry compete with a state run industry.

Eventually it will be privatized but right now China is investing in their future.

Matthew Kane

Well, China has yet to produce a safe, NA-approved car and sell it here.  Their airplanes have a long way to go.

sig01.png

Well, China has yet to produce a safe, NA-approved car and sell it here.  Their airplanes have a long way to go.

Remember that the USA is only 4.4% of the world's population. China could easily become the worlds biggest car manufacturer without ever selling a car in the USA.

Right now it is has been Toyota (and Volkswagen), back in the 1970's if someone was to say that Toyota would become the biggest you would have been a laughing stock...  :lol:

Cheers 

Matthew Kane

Remember that the USA is only 4.4% of the world's population. China could easily become the worlds biggest car manufacturer without ever selling a car in the USA.

Right now it is has been Toyota (and Volkswagen), back in the 1970's if someone was to say that Toyota would become the biggest you would have been a laughing stock...  :lol:

Cheers

Never thought about them keeping to their 'local' market. Very good point, sir.

sig01.png

Could a Chinese car have a worse track record than General Motors now has? There are some pretty big recalls going on. This is not a good omen for a company that's been bailed out once.

The way I see it is I used to be a Mechanical Engineer on assembly lines in USA and Canada for 18 years. Every factory I have worked in have either closed for good, or have been relocated to Juarez, Mexico, With the exception of a few.

Easy for Americans to Criticize what little China has right now in terms of Automobiles or Airplanes, but I wouldn't considering that China already makes 80% if everything else in the world, including your smartphones and majority of your computer components and majority of your household goods. Won't be long until they are making your planes trains and automobiles too.

If the USA wants to play catch up with China then they could start by bringing those manufacturing jobs back to the USA.

There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.
-Henry Ford

USA seems to have forgotten that. 

Matthew Kane

The US automakers can pay for the union pay demands and still compete price-wise. The unions need to get used to the idea that a lower paying job is better than none. The American worker is going to have to be more realistic in their expectations. The steel industry found this out and the auto industry better pay attention. On the other side of the coin, CEOs in the US are way overpaid and also suffer from the same delusion as the autoworkers. I find it hard to believe that a CEO deserves a golden parachute for failing. There was a time when they simply got fired. I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.

I agree Bill, 'failed executives' should not get any "Golden Parachute" but instead need to be demoted back down into the world of the rank and file workers, or else suffer through unemployment just like everyone else... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My rant should have read "can't compete". Too much adrenalin!

Ironic that for all the factories I used to work in, the couple that remain are the unionised ones, the others weren't. Cessna was one as I did the AutoCAD drawings for their paint systems on the assembly line, the other was a Boeing 737 paint system for the supplier (Dunlop now I believe). I did work in a non-unionised Cummins engine factory and most of that is in Juarez now. The non-unionised have less a fighting chance.

I think Honda is a great example of how things can go right these days. Honda was a young guy with no education and unemployed and needed a job, so he was going around on his bicycle trying to find one. That wasn't efficient so he stuck a 2 stroke motor on it to find a job faster and made what was the first Moped....and that was the beginning of Honda Motors.

Today Honda put their engine factory in Texas and assembly in Alabama and Ontario in agricultural regions. Reason being is people growing up on farms play with machinery, therefore you have a high skilled population that didn't necessarily go to school....Just like Honda the Founder. This has worked out very well for Honda compared to having GMC, Ford and Chrysler still up there in Detroit having a hard time finding skilled labour. 

Most of what is left for Manufacturing in the USA are the legacy companies, it is very difficult to set up a facility in the USA today, an area that China is very good at. For me I only criticize the USA where I think it can do better and that is because I care and want to see North America continue to succeed.

Cheers 

Matthew Kane