Sign in to follow this  
hightower

FS9.5

I haven't flown FS9 for about 4 years now, but decided of late to re-install it and see what it looked like after seeing the beautiful screen shots on that forum. I'm not worried about how it will run as FSX performs just fine on my rig. That post's topic was "FS9 9.5 never looked so good". I'd just like to know if there is a list or menu of what addons are being used to achieve those results. This is what I currently have installed for texture enhancements:

FS9 9.1

FS Genesis World Mesh

UTUSA, Canada, & Europe

GE PRO II

REX

ASv6

ZInertek Ultimate Water Advanced

Anything else I should consider? I do see fuzzy terrain of flat land I'd say from about 10 miles out to the horizon, but do recall seeing that when I was flying FS9 before.

Thanks

I do see fuzzy terrain of flat land I'd say from about 10 miles out to the horizon, but do recall seeing that when I was flying FS9 before.

Thanks

If your referring to the Shimmering that can be resolved, Im on an ATI Radeon 6750 so my setting differ from an NVidia (Not sure what type of Video card your Using)  Give me a minute and i will post a screen shot of what setting helps get rid of the shimmering.

Ok this  gets rid of the Shimmering effect on ATI-Cards if you have Catalyst Control  Anti-Aliasing Method set to Supersampling Picture below.

Another thing Do not use Anti Aliasing in the Display options of your sim (this does nothing) I simply set it through the graphics card instead.

-2014-may-22-004_zps2b86537b.jpg

Welcome home...

Something to consider might be upgrading to Active Sky Evolution.

I had AS6.5 and held out for a long time, but it definitely adds to the experience in subtle but important ways.

Also, the "look" of the sim can be readily tuned in SweetFX.

See the pinned topic

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/393160-sweet-fx/

I still use 6.5, Wingz. What can I expect from ASE?

I to use Active sky 6.5 but @ times i switch over to FS Global Real Weather (the only thing i can say about FS Global Real weather is it requires you to change  the following files below to get weather Over Seas wich i dislike so I prefer AS 6.5

1.)wxmapping.bin

2.)wxstationlist.bin

I have a friend that uses Evolution he says its pretty good  (I haven't tried it myself) But AS 6.5 works for me

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Garciamk3g: My card is a ATI 7570. When I open the CCC, I get a similar format to what you showed in your screenshot, but not exactly the same. Your header shows the AMD logo. Mine just shows the HP logo instead and nowhere does it provide the Super Sampling option in its menu under the 3D tab.. However, I think I'm OK with this anyway as I don't experience any shimmering in distant views. Just sort of a fuzzy, not quite sharp image of flat terrain. When the background terrain is of hills and mountains, the resolution is quite clear.

WingZ: Thanks for the info regarding SweetFX. I downloaded the app from your link and placed it in my FS9 root folder. I think I'm going to have to take two screenshots of just the default FS9 and then with SFX to see if I can notice any difference. With it installed, the overall image colors do appear to be slightly richer. Nice! I see there is a "Pinned" post in the FS9 forum on SFX which I will read. Is the screenshot forum the only forum you can attach a screenshot? I don't see that option in here.

Yes we were removed to the SS Forum the last time we tried a pictures thread...

Having said that, one can put up shots here if they are "explanatory".

AVSIM removed the facility to attach images, so you'll need something like Photobucket to upload to, and copy 'n paste from.

What can I expect from ASE?
Tough one... a bit like AI. How can you tell if it's "better"?

I'm sure the weather gurus have numbers to prove it, but my ongoing impression is I have more complex weather, and it never fails to convince.

The advice I was given was: Go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Yeah, the one sweet perk of having older software like this is that I can now turn FSAA and Anisothropic Filtering up to like x16 each and still hit high FPS.

Also, turn on Extended Terrain Textures if you can... Big photosceneries like the MegaCity packs can still draaaag during loading with this on, but if you fly up high it's worth it.

I've found that with FSAA an filtering cranked-up I can do the full 8 mipmapping setting without shimmering, like they said above.

And agree totally about SweetFX... Depending on my mood I can make it look nice and realistic, ir bright, colorful and vibrant.

I personally have found the biggest difference, for me, between 2004 and FSX is that my custom AI traffic pack, at a place like SeaTac, has so many planes approaching, taking off, parked, and taxiing that It's just CRAWLING with life... Along with gobs of service vehicles even.

In FSX I get like 6 planes and that's it. LoL

Also, truth be told, it's probably also the 110+ gigs of add-ons I have that help make the sim look good for me...

I mean, MegaScenery Northwest, with my huge traffic pack, with FlyTampa's SeaTac pack, enhanced mesh... And all the little custom airports like Georender's Ranger Creek tucked away... That all just helps.

Sorry for chirping in here. I too have AS6, and ASE. Couple months ago I purchased Real World Global.

First, I like them all. Probably lean towards ASE.

While I like Real World Global, damn if the weather is ever correct. Never. It will even show in the built in metar overcast conditions etc. All I ever get is wispy clouds at 5-10,000 feet. Never overcast and never CB's. I've done everything I can think of (install, uninstall, copy bin files etc etc) but nothing ever changes. Now having said this, I want to stress the winds seem to be very well represented. Especially the feeling in turbulent conditions.

Overall, ASE never disappoints. I get in the sim what I see outside.

...it's really that much of a step up from 6?

Weather depiction was for me.  I was also skeptical but have been glad I went from 6 to ASE.

...it's really that much of a step up from 6?

Yes, especially visually.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Yes, especially visually.

Is there an echo in here? .....See post 12

de·pic·tion [dih-pik-shuhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngn] Show IPA

noun

representation in image form, as in a painting or illustration: Picasso's painting Guernica  is an accurate depiction of the horrors of war.