Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Testing out the newest nVidea "Shadowplay" in P3Dv2.2

I was testing the new nVidea "Shadowplay" and the Eaglesoft Liberty XL2 in Prepar3D v2.2 this afternoon. Please do not laugh too hard at my crappy landing on Rwy2 at KGYY.

What amazed me is that running Shadowplay did not appear to affect my framerates much at all. Maybe 2fps at worst. Big%20Grin.gif

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You must have 'fast forwarded' to the landing then, as the video is 8 minutes long... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

I tried using ShadowPlay today to record a video of a flight I'd recorded in P3D.  It was an awful mess.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Wanna give me some tips on how to get Shadow play to work?  I'm running the Beta 337.50 drivers.

Every attempt I've tried has failed ... not sure if it's my screen resolution (2560 x 1600) it doesn't like or what.  Biggest problem I have with FRAPS is what it does to higher-res terrain loading ... when recording with FRAPS I'll drop 2-4 fps but it's impact on terrain loading is significant, I soon get a serious case of the blurries if moving faster than about 160 kts (once the terrain system gets out of wack it degrades pretty quickly).  

I've been experimenting with various Affinity settings to see if I can avoid the problem ... some progress but still not perfect.

Cheers, Rob.

You must have 'fast forwarded' to the landing then, as the video is 8 minutes long... :LMAO:

It brought back memories of my flight instructor using colorful language to me...he was Irish.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Wanna give me some tips on how to get Shadow play to work?  I'm running the Beta 337.50 drivers.

Gee Rob, I honestly don't know myself. Maybe I was just lucky? I just installed the WHQL driver last night 335.23 before going to bed.

Earlier this afternoon I just fired up the nVidea manager and set up Ctrl-F12 to start/stop Shadowplay, and clicked on the option to record the desktop.

That's all I did. It just works. I just checked and the "Quality" was already set to "High" and recording at "screen resolution", which is 1920x1080 on a 42" monitor.

Fr. Bill    

That's all I did. It just works. I just checked and the "Quality" was already set to "High" and recording at "screen resolution", which is 1920x1080 on a 42" monitor.

Bill,

How's P3D look on your system?  I have the same video card and a 42" Samsung and I'm fighting jaggies and shimmers everywhere.  Trying to get it straightened out.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Gregg, just watch my video in full 1080p on your 42" monitor. What you see is pretty much what I see here, albeit a bit crisper due to no video compression... :biggrin:

BTW, I have no tweaks whatever in my Prepar3D.cfg. None at all. Aside from the a/c I personally am working on, everything else is totally 'virgin' since I need to keep it clean for testing and development purposes. :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

That's odd! By all accounts shadow play is not compatible with Prepar3D V2.

Somebody upstairs must like you Bill. LOL

Gregg, just watch my video in full 1080p on your 42" monitor. What you see is pretty much what I see here, albeit a bit crisper due to no video compression...

BTW, I have no tweaks whatever in my Prepar3D.cfg.

Well, it looks kinda like my display but it is hard to tell in a video.  I have a clean cfg too...haven't found anything much worthwhile to put in it.

Gregg Seipp

i did lol

That's odd! By all accounts shadow play is not compatible with Prepar3D V2.

Somebody upstairs must like you Bill. LOL

Here is another quick test video of a takeoff in the Eaglesoft DA42 tDI...

Why can't I ever seem to remember to finish initializing the MFD before starting my t/o roll? :blush:

Prepar3D v2.2 of course:

Fr. Bill    

Well it was a surprise to me and apparently Rob that ShadowPlay worked in P3D V2 and I think it would be a surprise to most P3D V2 Video makers. By all accounts it was not compatible but I have checked this out and it does work. I don't think that it is capturing P3Dv2 as such but it is capturing the desktop as a result of enabling "Allow Desktop Capture" which at least on my machine was disabled by default.

Well done Bill I think you discovered something here that no-one else seemed to know about.

I just made a short video and am uploading.

I can already tell you that it is vastly superior to FRAPS. And the interesting thing is that I read somewhere a while back that

the way shadowplay works it can smooth out stutters when recording and based on my experience of making the video that I just made

I would that seems true.

Keep in mind that "Shadowplay" is using the GPU to do almost all of the work, so the impact on the CPU is pretty much minimal...

...what is being recorded is precisely what is being sent to your monitor from the GPU.

Fr. Bill