Sign in to follow this  
rfresh737

Cruise TAT too high

I'm at FL270 and my TAT on the engine displays +21 C. Way off and causing my cruise speed to be too low at around 199.

Where do I adjust my outside air temperature? I don't see a field on the CDU (or am I blind?).

Thanks...

Where do I adjust my outside air temperature? I don't see a field on the CDU (or am I blind?).

I don't believe you can make any changes in the FMC. It is a problem with the weather engine. I had it happen once in the NGX. The higher it flew the higher the higher the TAT went. I just ended the flight. Flying the MD-11 there were two waypoints over the North Sea where the TAT would go from a -8 to a +22 in the blink of an eye. All I could do was descend since it would not maintain cruise altitude or speed. In several minutes. It eventually changed back to -8C. I had to change about 6 routes to avoid the waypoints until HiFi got it right. This was with ASE and AS2012 several years ago.

I don't have any pure wx add-ons so I don't know why its doing this. This is something new to happen and I have not made any changes to my add-ons or configurations. The only add-on I'm using is OpusFSX which has a weather engine but I don't do anything with the weather engine.

I guess I'll try descending and see if that changes the TAT.

Thanks...

Hi.

Are you sure Opus is in charge of the weather? This sounds a lot like the FSInn cruise temp bug.

Cristi Neagu

No I'm not sure who is controlling the weather. I'll have to recheck.

What's the temp bug issue?

Thanks...

If you do not want to use the Opus weather, please make sure that the weather is disable in the Opus configuration.

Even if you are using Opus only for cameras, the weather engine is still operating in the background until you disable it.

Quite a few plugings try to send weather into the simulator until you disable the weather injection. Only one program is allowed to handle the weather at a time. Otherwise your weather inside the simulator will go crazy.

What's the temp bug issue?

There's this bug with FSInn when you go above FL240 or around that. The temperatures would go from negative to positive. -55 would become +55 and so on. I'm also not sure if this bug affected only FSInn, or all the weather coming from VATSIM, since i don't use either.

Cristi Neagu

If i don't load OpusSFX then this does not happen. If I load it, it happens.

Since I don't use the weather much, I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Opus weather engine and just use the default FSX wx engine. I'm using OpusSFX mainly for the camera views.

I was talking with someone from my VA a while back. He said that his sim is almost unusable, cause of jumps in airspeed, altitude, etc. He was using the NGX with FSX weather. I recommended he try ASN and he's a happy camper ever since. So i cannot recommend FSX weather.

You could also try the ASN trial. If you experience the same behavior, you know that something else is causing the problem. If not, then it's because of Opus. Also, check where Opus is getting the weather data. Make sure it's set to realtime weather, or something like that.

Cristi Neagu

I turned off FSX weather and turned on OpusFSX Live Weather and that fixed it.

Strange that you had  to this since any weather  addon you use will override fsx weather  settings

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

What's more odd is that opus was working with its live weather disabled...I was only using its camera views...worked fine for a month...then all of a sudden high TAT temps at cruise...I don't know what changed to cause that. I don't have any other weather add-ons.